King baboon question

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
Ok so i just got a king baboon and transfered him from a critter keeper with reptibark to a 5 gallon tank with eco earth do you guys pre build/dig burrows for them or do you let them do it on there own mines is just sitting in the top corner of his tank for some reason but its only been a day let me know what yall do please and thanks :) 20170303_210236.jpg 20170303_210236.jpg 20170303_210246.jpg

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
W A Y more substrate is needed in there. If he falls from that height he could really hurt himself. But recently rehoused tarantulas often get up on the wall, so nothing to worry about there. And we prefer scientific names on Arachnoboards ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
And get rid of that mesh top. His tarsal claws could get stuck. A solid acrylic lid with air holes would work great.

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
W A Y more substrate is needed in there. If he falls from that height he could really hurt himself. But recently rehoused tarantulas often get up on the wall, so nothing to worry about there. And we prefer scientific names on Arachnoboards ;)
Ya sorry im trying to learn them all :p ill get there also i will add more substrate

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think he needs a lot more substrate. There should not be more than 1.5 times his diagonal leg span between the top of the tank and the ground, in case he falls.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What? The P.muticus is at risk. They aren't agile like 'OBT' and such, they are more 'clumsy', a fall can result in heavy damage. You need to add lots of inches of substrate. Lots :-s

cold blood

Staff member
1. Put in a hide...its a starting place for a burrow or a place to hide before it burrows. Eventually it will go to town, but it can take days or even weeks to acclimate and start construction.

2. More sub....lots more sub. There's no reason for all that wasted vertical space, fill it up.

3. Make sure that sub is packed down tight, or it won't hold up to burrowing.

4. Screen tops are not advisable...although for a subterranean beast like this, its likely much less of a real issue....just for future reference.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
4. Screen tops are not advisable...although for a subterranean beast like this, its likely much less of a real issue....just for future reference.
But it is hanging out at the top, so for now at least, there's a danger.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Op, for the record, he means the top, not the amount of sub...that's a totally different type of t than yours.
Right. I've also added a bit more sub since that photo was taken. Aim for 1-1.5 DLS of space between the sub and the lid.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Although I like to house fast/defensive/potent venom Theraphosidae a little bigger than those of other genera, this is even too big for my liking. Your little princess is going to disappear in that, and you'll have no way to keep track of her eating/molting, anything. This is a very slow growing species, so you won't be rehousing her every month or year even. A tub with the same hight but less surface would be better.
And that much room between lid and substrate is dangerous, as others have stated. I'd just rehome her in something more suitable.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ok so i just got a king baboon and transfered him from a critter keeper with reptibark to a 5 gallon tank with eco earth do you guys pre build/dig burrows for them or do you let them do it on there own mines is just sitting in the top corner of his tank for some reason but its only been a day let me know what yall do please and thanks :) View attachment 232928 View attachment 232928 View attachment 232929
OP DON'T WORRY. Your unbeknown mistakes are easily put right. More sub is really easy. He's a thread regarding the screen lids.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/replace-screen-tops.289820/

Daren whitehead

Arachnopeon
how many T's have you got bud? Welcome to the club
Thanks for all the help guys and the welcome ive had about 6 ts in my life right now i only have the pelinobius muticus my other aviculara died after molting i got it from petco so i think thats the reason :/

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for all the help guys and the welcome ive had about 6 ts in my life right now i only have the pelinobius muticus my other aviculara died after molting i got it from petco so i think thats the reason :/
I don't think that death was entirely Petco's fault since you asked questions here not too long ago and was amazed you didn't have to spray your Avic....
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/page-3#post-2590274
Not meaning to be mean, but it would be better if you researched BEFORE you get an animal, and make sure you have the enclosure right before putting the animal in.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't think that death was entirely Petco's fault since you asked questions here not too long ago and was amazed you didn't have to spray your Avic....
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/page-3#post-2590274
Not meaning to be mean, but it would be better if you researched BEFORE you get an animal, and make sure you have the enclosure right before putting the animal in.
The problem is if you do research avic care you're often advised to spray/keep them humid.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The problem is if you do research avc care you're often advised to spray/keep them humid.
True. But he stated there that the advice given in that thread saved the Avic, but in this thread he says it died.
Not sure where he could have gotten the direct advice to actually spray the spider itself. Even caresheets don't say that.
Doesn't matter how or why, but my point was he could have gotten the right info about this set up before putting the Princess in. But somehow, he gets faulty advice from someone else. (Screen lids, size of enclosure, distance between sub and lid). Or he just goes in, doing as he thinks it fits.

basin79

ArachnoGod
True. But he stated there that the advice given in that thread saved the Avic, but in this thread he says it died.
Not sure where he could have gotten the direct advice to actually spray the spider itself. Even caresheets don't say that.
Doesn't matter how or why, but my point was he could have gotten the right info about this set up before putting the Princess in. But somehow, he gets faulty advice from someone else. (Screen lids, size of enclosure, distance between sub and lid). Or he just goes in, doing as he thinks it fits.
Furry muff.