King baboon new home

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Hello,
New to the forum and to tarantula ownership. I picked up a king baboon sling yesterday. Split my enclosure in half. I want to pick up a gooty saphire for the other side today.
Do you see any obviuos issues? I should be able to keep two slings of different types in the enclosure split this way?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why you did an excellent wise job into purchasing as your first Theraphosidae a potentially Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :angelic: your enclosure idea has written wrong all over it.

Aside for the fact that an Exo Terra cage isn't suitable IMO for obligate burrowers because you can't add the lots of inches of substrate those need, plus the front opening (you want a top one) on my book a split enclosure is always a nonsense.

Exo Terra enclosures (if I'm not wrong yours is a 'nano' model) are fine for arboreals (even if I prefer European cheaper glass cages) with a little top-modification.

You said slings. And such enclosure, split or not, is damn too huge for slings (ah ah, hardcore fan of little enclosures for slings, here :kiss:)

Ask also to yourself this: different Theraphosidae require different parameters, how you are supposed to mantain said parameters with a split experiment like that?

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
I suppose truth be told i hadnt put much thought into it. The girl at the pet store wasnt much help either. On the left side of the enclosure i put a plexi cover thinking i could encourage the arboreal to make its web there and i could still remove the top if need be. Would there be a better suited partner for my king baboon on the other side, or should i start over and not play engineer on the enclosure. My thought was i could keep two small ones easier in there than the pill bottle it came in..(still in photo) i let her chose to come out.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why you did an excellent wise job into purchasing as your first Theraphosidae a potentially Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :angelic: your enclosure idea has written wrong all over it.

Aside for the fact that an Exo Terra cage isn't suitable IMO for obligate burrowers because you can't add the lots of inches of substrate those need, plus the front opening (you want a top one) on my book a split enclosure is always a nonsense.

Exo Terra enclosures (if I'm not wrong yours is a 'nano' model) are fine for arboreals (even if I prefer European cheaper glass cages) with a little top-modification.

You said slings. And such enclosure, split or not, is damn too huge for slings (ah ah, hardcore fan of little enclosures for slings, here :kiss:)

Ask also to yourself this: different Theraphosidae require different parameters, how you are supposed to mantain said parameters with a split experiment like that?
I said sling because i heard the term, but she is about 1inch from end to end

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
For tarantulas, splitting an enclosure, isn't advisable, most on here will agree. One miscalculation could result in a disaster. Separate enclosures are best!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suppose truth be told i hadnt put much thought into it. The girl at the pet store wasnt much help either. On the left side of the enclosure i put a plexi cover thinking i could encourage the arboreal to make its web there and i could still remove the top if need be. Would there be a better suited partner for my king baboon on the other side, or should i start over and not play engineer on the enclosure. My thought was i could keep two small ones easier in there than the pill bottle it came in..(still in photo) i let her chose to come out.
Pet stores folks know nothing about Theraphosidae, to the point that the online care sheets are 'gold' if compared, ah ah.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do this: buy/find two, cheap as hell, plastic containers... for the arboreal (oh, btw man, I don't want even enter into the fact that you didn't exactly purchased two 'beginner' Theraphosidae but your choice and I respect that) provide a "oz" taller-something.

A thing like this:

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/16oz-round-tubs-p-1677.html
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/12oz-round-tubs-p-1679.html
For the P.muticus are fine less taller ones.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Pet stores folks know nothing about Theraphosidae, to the point that the online care sheets are 'gold' if compared, ah ah.
I truly have my heart set on getting another sling today...hmmm should both be okay for a week or two then ill get new enclosures? They have a gooty saphire metallica and a pink toe versicolour i was gonna get one or the other this afternoon. I dont want to harm the spiders though so if i must wait i can try and exersize patience haha

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I truly have my heart set on getting another sling today...hmmm should both be okay for a week or two then ill get new enclosures? They have a gooty saphire metallica and a pink toe versicolour i was gonna get one or the other this afternoon. I dont want to harm the spiders though so if i must wait i can try and exersize patience haha
Well, I think you can find a little plastic enclosure like the one I suggested just near you, my man :-s
but anyway, being you I would start with a beginner-friendly one, and trust me, both 'avics' nor 'pokies' aren't (for different reasons).

Hands down for the P.muticus, on the other hand. If you need advice for those feel free to count on me :kiss:

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Do this: buy/find two, cheap as hell, plastic containers... for the arboreal (oh, btw man, I don't want even enter into the fact that you didn't exactly purchased two 'beginner' Theraphosidae but your choice and I respect that) provide a "oz" taller-something.

A thing like this:

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/16oz-round-tubs-p-1677.html
For the P.muticus are fine less taller ones.

So essentially they are better off in the small container they come in? At what age would an exo terra nano be an acceptable enclosure. Thanks for the help. I clearly need to do more research. Where do you recomend i get my info for care specific for each spider

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Well, I think you can find a little plastic enclosure like the one I suggested just near you, my man :-s
but anyway, being you I would start with a beginner-friendly one, and trust me, both 'avics' nor 'pokies' aren't (for different reasons).

Hands down for the P.muticus, on the other hand. If you need advice for those feel free to count on me :kiss:
Awesome thanks. Should i leave her in this enclosure for now since shes in there.. she seems to be working hard at making a den.. pushing material around and webbing the ground

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So essentially they are better off in the small container they come in? At what age would an exo terra nano be an acceptable enclosure. Thanks for the help. I clearly need to do more research.
Without a pic for a better judge, I say yes, man. Post a pic if you can, btw.

Consider that P.muticus are extreme slow growing Theraphosidae so time will pass until a re-house in a more bigger enclosure. Again, I don't view an Exo Terra suitable for an obligate burrower at all, but you can use that enclosure (removing the split mod. you did) for other kind of Theraphosidae :-s

Where do you recomend i get my info for care specific for each spider
Here :bookworm:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Awesome thanks. Should i leave her in this enclosure for now since shes in there.. she seems to be working hard at making a den.. pushing material around and webbing the ground
Yes, man. Definitely. Post a pic so I/we could give you a better opinion.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
So essentially they are better off in the small container they come in? At what age would an exo terra nano be an acceptable enclosure. Thanks for the help. I clearly need to do more research. Where do you recomend i get my info for care specific for each spider
I have neither of the mentioned species, but to give you an idea of a decent enclosure for a tarantula that size, here is a picture of the enclosure that I use to house my G. Pulchripes sling which is around the same size, maybe a little bigger.

image.jpeg

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
So not the ideal containeer for slings... lol will my split nano enclosure harm my spiders? Perhaps ill get another
I have neither of the mentioned species, but to give you an idea of a decent enclosure for a tarantula that size, here is a picture of the enclosure that I use to house my G. Pulchripes sling which is around the same size, maybe a little bigger.

View attachment 237132
Here are a few more photos

Attachments

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Just snapped this photo. A 2 1/4" P. muticus sling housed in a 32oz deli cup.
These, you can get for free at most deli counters. P. muticus sling.jpg

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I have successfully put a divider in a regular aquarium, but you really have to use a good adhesive and seal all the edges tight with silicone to prevent something bad from happening. I wouldn't attempt to do it with an exo terra, especially not with tape holding the divider. It's a recipe for disaster.