King baboon feeding.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
I need some insight on this species. I've done so much research on mine but I can't seem to figure out when she wants to feed. She's made a nice home for herself but every time I drop a cricket in she ignores it(I've used a dead one too) I just want more insight on people that have had one of these for a pet for a while

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Have you just recently got her? Double up the substrate so that she can make a comfortable burrow

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I personally would double it but 3" should do.

Abdomen seems nice n plump anyway so I wouldnt worry too much about a feed just now.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The inches of substrate are inadequate, man... at least 7/8 minimum. Also don't mist/spray: offer a right sized water dish.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a water dish in there it's just hiding behind the burrow she made.
Ok... well, the only thing you have to do, as I've said (and others as well) is to offer more inches of substrate. That's not a burrow, man... only the spider attempt for survive.

cold blood

Staff member
Have you just recently got her? Double up the substrate so that she can make a comfortable burrow
Quadruple...lol

i spray it everyday but I guess I need to start pouring water on it every now and then
Dont
The inches of substrate are inadequate, man... at least 7/8 minimum. Also don't mist/spray: offer a right sized water dish.
Listen to this dude, he actually worships at the queens alter, and even offers it sacrifices.

I filled it nearly to the top with substrate
Much better.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Finally got her to eat! Just stuffed a cricket down her tunnel and within seconds she grabbed it. So glad I finally got to see her eat again

Attachments

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The perceived soil depth looks better. I keep my 3" P muticus "The Princess" in a large critter keeper with about 7" of soil. There is about 2 " of free space on top to the lid. She has a massive cavern underneath and is quite content and eats well. I also only feed her slightly more than my G rosea. When I power feed, mine tend to fast for long periods. I don't like that in my burrowers. They'll sit where I can't see them and then I start to question things during an extended fast. Slow and steady feeding works better for me where the burrowers and desert species are concerned.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
The perceived soil depth looks better. I keep my 3" P muticus "The Princess" in a large critter keeper with about 7" of soil. There is about 2 " of free space on top to the lid. She has a massive cavern underneath and is quite content and eats well. I also only feed her slightly more than my G rosea. When I power feed, mine tend to fast for long periods. I don't like that in my burrowers. They'll sit where I can't see them and then I start to question things during an extended fast. Slow and steady feeding works better for me where the burrowers and desert species are concerned.
This species really doesn't eat much at all though. It can take over 10 years for them to get full adulthood so that's why I think it always takes a few months till they eat again. What I hear is as long as the substrate is 2 times longer than their leg span or more is plenty enough substrate. This T is pretty small right now and I'm afraid to lose her in a huge enclosure

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What I hear is as long as the substrate is 2 times longer than their leg span or more is plenty enough substrate.
Far from truth. The only limit you can put to the inches of substrate you can add when it comes to OB (obligate burrowers) Theraphosidae are the "limits" declared by space available, the enclosure etc

I can made, for instance, a custom enclosure for my 0.1 Pelinobius muticus taller/higher enough for add 30 inches of substrate without issues, and that wouldn't be "overkill" at all. Trust me.

Granted, I will need Hercules for move such enclosure/s, plus as I've said, the space, but those are details at the end... the more, the better, when it comes to those.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Far from truth. The only limit you can put to the inches of substrate you can add when it comes to OB (obligate burrowers) Theraphosidae are the "limits" declared by space available, the enclosure etc

I can made, for instance, a custom enclosure for my 0.1 Pelinobius muticus taller/higher enough for add 30 inches of substrate without issues, and that wouldn't be "overkill" at all. Trust me.

Granted, I will need Hercules for move such enclosure/s, plus as I've said, the space, but those are details at the end... the more, the better, when it comes to those.
30 inches? Wow that's pretty impressive. I bet it's got a crazy tunnel system going on in there