Kinda Nervous.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
hey AB, its been a while since a made a post but i had things going on {D

ok, so im looking to get a new t...and ive decided that i want it to be an Avicularia versicolor. the only think thats getting to me is that ive heard theyre very fragile as slings...and a lot of people that i've known have had their versis die on them when trying to raise them as slings. im gonna keep it in a pill jar, so any ideas/suggestions would be really helpful ;)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, you seem to know how to set it up... What kind of ideas/suggestions are you looking for?

*Friendly reminder.* The search function can offer the answer to any & all questions.

Blaze

Arachnopeon
just like a pill jar with holes around near the top, and just a bit above the substrate. but ive seen videos like Jon3800's and hes had no success raising versi slings, which really kinda intimidates me seeing as im kinda new to the hobby and hes been in it for so long

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just like a pill jar with holes around near the top, and just a bit above the substrate. but ive seen videos like Jon3800's and hes had no success raising versi slings, which really kinda intimidates me seeing as im kinda new to the hobby and hes been in it for so long
Man, I have had several versi slings. I have only ever lost one. Some folks have lost ever versi.. Its all just a stroke of luck. (IMO atleast.) Yes some might have done something to aid in the Ts death. But, not everyone.

My best advice. When you get the versi. place it in its enclosure, feed it, mist it once, maybe twice a week, (Over doing can be as bad as not doing nothing at all.) and dont ever place it in something to large.

A pill bottle with a few holes in the lid will suffice.

I dont know if you have read about cross vent... Everyone believes they NEED it. Well, the one versi I lost, it had cross vent.. The multiple versi. slings I have had, that either matured, or the ones that lived until I sold them, never once had cross vent... So, in my opinion, you dont need it.

Just add very little substrate in the enclosure, and dont keep it to moist. Just mist the bottle a couple times a week. That way your versi will get the water it needs.

You dont need decor, but you can put something in the enclosure for the T to web on... You dont have to. But you can.

Best of luck.

babypiggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm kinda new to the hobby i guess...

i've always had tarantulas in my collection for the past 10 years but it was only 1 or 2 tarantulas (normally g.rosea and a.avic)..

right now i'm getting quite addicted to the hobby with 44 T's

i've had pretty good luck with a.veri slings

i bought 5 last year and lost one.
i also recieved 3i slings from crawltech a few weeks ago and they are doing great!

I've also experimented with cross ventilation and just ventilation at the top... i really don't think it made a difference...

Sling Cube without cross ventilation

Cubes with cross ventilation

a week after i got my a.versi

Growing up

From Crawltech (yes they are on a Q-tip)

So i guess i've had quite a sucess with these lil blue piggies (they really eat)

You never know till u get some.
;)

Blaze

Arachnopeon
haha those enclosures are awesome. any chance i could buy one off you?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're really worried, just wait till you can spend a little more & get one a little bit further along. I'm sure you can find someone with a 2-3" one for sale.

kristinnandbenn

Arachnopeon
Brandon,

Don't worry about raising your sling. Avicularias do die more often then other slings, but this is because you HAVE to keep them humid, warm and ventilated. Unlike many other tarantulas, they are not fine left in a dry container in a 65F room. Just keep the substrate moist, no water dish, and use a space heater in the same room as the sling.

I keep my small slings in clear 3 x 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 acrylic boxes I buy from Michael's craft store. Put some holes in the top and sides and you're good to go, just make sure they're not large enough for your sling to squeeze out of. Only $1.00 and other sizes are avaliable.

http://www.darice.com/ecom/ImagePreview.aspx?img=/images/catalog/fullsize/2025-303.jpg

Just do a lot of research on your spider

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brandon,

Don't worry about raising your sling. Avicularias do die more often then other slings, but this is because you HAVE to keep them humid, warm and ventilated. Unlike many other tarantulas, they are not fine left in a dry container in a 65F room. Just keep the substrate moist, no water dish, and use a space heater in the same room as the sling.

I keep my small slings in clear 3 x 2 3/8 x 2 3/8 acrylic boxes I buy from Michael's craft store. Put some holes in the top and sides and you're good to go, just make sure they're not large enough for your sling to squeeze out of. Only $1.00 and other sizes are avaliable.

http://www.darice.com/ecom/ImagePreview.aspx?img=/images/catalog/fullsize/2025-303.jpg

Just do a lot of research on your spider

Weird, I never had any issues with keeping mine on dry substrate... Infact, all of my Ts that "needed" higher humidity, did just fine with dry substrate, with a mist or two a week... During the winter, temps in my T room dropped to high 60s to low 70s... Never any issues with them...

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I only have 1 versi sling, has been in my care for 3 months or so, came with a fresh molt and molted thrice after I keep her in a clear plastic cube with holes all around the enclosure. I keep the substrate moist and mist the webbing once or twice a week. Temps for all my Ts are 22 celcius at night and up to 26 in the morning. The sling looks very healthy with this setting.

kristinnandbenn

Arachnopeon
Weird, I never had any issues with keeping mine on dry substrate... Infact, all of my Ts that "needed" higher humidity, did just fine with dry substrate, with a mist or two a week... During the winter, temps in my T room dropped to high 60s to low 70s... Never any issues with them...

Small Avic slings are fragile, and I was just throwing out a few tips to increase the chances of his sling living because he's nervous about it. They aren't hard to take care of by any means, just better to provide a failproof environment for them. ;)