kind of a weird but possibly practical question...

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this may seem sorta weird but, can millipedes eat cheese for a calcium supplement? i mean is there anything in cheese thats bad for the animal? has anyone ever tried this?

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
LOL, that's a first. I recall seeing bacon, chicken, fruits, etc. fed to 'pedes but never even considered cheese(one of my favorite foods...wouldn't want to share). Not laughing at you, arachnophile, I just got a vision of a 'pede muching on a grilled cheese sammie & then having monumental diarrhea...sorry for the visual;)

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, that's a first. I recall seeing bacon, chicken, fruits, etc. fed to 'pedes but never even considered cheese(one of my favorite foods...wouldn't want to share). Not laughing at you, arachnophile, I just got a vision of a 'pede muching on a grilled cheese sammie & then having monumental diarrhea...sorry for the visual;)
lol well i know i'm sorta building a reputation for asking weird questions and i do also find this quite amusing...lol or downright hilarious...

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The cooked can o crickets or locusts is fine for any "exoskeletal" building materials...but cheese? I think you'd be doing them harm. Now left over chicken wing bones(not that had sauce on them...) with some cartilage? maybe if they were rinsed well.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The cooked can o crickets or locusts is fine for any "exoskeletal" building materials...but cheese? I think you'd be doing them harm. Now left over chicken wing bones(not that had sauce on them...) with some cartilage? maybe if they were rinsed well.
good to know i can finally use those can o' things i got for free.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The cooked can o crickets or locusts is fine for any "exoskeletal" building materials...
Consider researching this advice. Insect exoskeletons are not known for calcium content or easy digestion.
Cheese could be fine but I think most millipedes would avoid eating it. Also, it's not needed and relatively expensive.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I had hundreds of millipedes they did nibble at my fingers which had a lot of callouses, they ate all of their dead tankmates and seemed to eat the crickets and locousts very readily, I would have believed ingesting the exosxeletons of other insects would have offerd them the nessasarry building blocks of nutrients for a healthy exoskeleton, but I am always willing to learn. Why do you think after the loicousts and crickets, being cooked the millies would not be able to break down the softer substances, they are detrofores, yes?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The question was about a calcium supplement: crickets are famously deficient in that mineral.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The question was about a calcium supplement: crickets are famously deficient in that mineral.
yeah but he told me about the can 'o crickets\locusts for a protein supplement and when i originally i accidentally typed 'protein' rather than 'calcium'