Killed but Uneaten

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What does it mean if your T kills a cricket but takes it outside and leaves it at the door of its burrow?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It either isn't hungry at the moment, waiting for it's venom to take effect, saving it for later, isn't in the mood for company, and etc... Just to name a few thoughts that came to mind.

Brian

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he just picked it up and moved it across the KK to the side of the water bowl.... should I just give up and take it out?

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great question! This happens most frequently with my A. seemanis. I agree with the posts above, the tarantulas are either not hungry or not interested but most definitely bothered.

I would leave the crickets in the cage for up to 12 hours depending on the temp./hum. of the cage. If it's really hot and humid in there, it'd be a safe bet to remove it more quickly to help lower the chances of mold/mites. Most likely the t isn't going to go back for it. I'd also be wary about dead crickets/remains in the water dish. Remove it to prevent, again, mold/mites.

In my experience, if a tarantula doesn't eat a cricket in the first 30 min. then it's not going to eat it, so I remove it a try again the next day. If it again refuses it, I assume it's in pre-molt. Hope this helps some.