Kid kills 10-foot Albino Burmese Python

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they can run from 250.00 up to about 500.00:)
That's it? I had the impression a 10ft snake would be worth much more than that.

Either way value aside, it still does'nt exscuse the behavior of the kid or his father.

The owner obviously had this snake as a pet for some time to reach this size, and was probably attached to it like any pet owner would be.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course he can---he is the real deal. Saving the world slapping one child at a time.
My thoughts exactaly... I also find it rather interesting that he decided to quit this thread with out responding to my only post. Rex

Alright, I've stayed outta this for a while and hadn't planned on joining in, that is until I read the following....

Quote:
Let me put it to you: violence is not the answer to violence. This is not violence; this is discipline.

That makes no sense what so ever. Of coarse it is violence; you are just using violence in a disciplinary action. Anyway, as stated above, the only persons with the right to enforce any kind of discipline would be 1.Parents and2.the Police, not you a bystander.

Quote:
You look at these serial killers, rapists, child molesters... and you read about their backgrounds. See a commonality in all of them? See how they were either abused or weren't taught right? I could go on forever with the subject of irresponsible parenting.

They were abused... you said it yourself. Than how can the solution be to dish out more abuse on a kid, and then "defend" you from an enraged father in front of said kid? That would be a horrible experience both mentally and physically. Also, I'm not sure how you can honestly say that it would be self defense against a person who is acting on such a deep, instinctual level when you are hurting their child.

Quote:
You are making this society worse for all of us. Our future lies with our children.

It’s ironic that you brought this up. I really don't know how you think this supports your train of thought. How are we making society worse? By refraining the use of violence even if in the moment we may want to cause pain. In my opinion that is the epitome of a higher and more sophisticated society. You said yourself violence is not the answer, but I'm not so sure you know what that actually means. I suggest you take a page outta Ghandi, John Lennon, or his holiness the Dali Lama. Maybe then you will realize how to make real progress when you want to make earth a better place

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't want to get involved with this, and it may be that I'm fueling a dying fire here, but some of you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.

Aside from Masamune's extreme views, he brought up a number of good points. Would it have made a difference if the kid had kicked the owner's dog in the head and killed it instead of a snake? Sure it's the parents' responsibility to discipline the kid and no one else's, but in the case of something like this, some responsibility has carried over to that of the affected. It isn't just a possession that he broke, it's a life he took, the life of a creature that the owner has cared for and loved for years. While I don't believe a bystander would have any right to carry this out since it does not directly affect them, the owner does, and Masamune did put himself in the place of the owner as well.

What I see here is that some of you sympathize with the owner, and then the problem quickly boils down to: "You hit my kid, you're dead, no matter what" with no "whats" or "ifs". Others just take what he says completely out of context by saying that he should go use his martial arts talent to beat up more kids. Way to be mature, guys.

As brought up earlier, there are many unknowns to consider, the kid could have had a mental illness or had some form of extreme trauma relating to snakes when he was young, possibly leading to Ophidiophobia. Also, we don't have information on the age of the kid. He could have been as young as an elementary school student to as old as a high schooler. I'm sure that factors into the whole issue of slapping him.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
As brought up earlier, there are many unknowns to consider,
If only there were some way of considering all those issues and coming to some meaningful and informed conclusion about the nature and degree of blame to be placed on both the kid and father and perhaps even arranging for some degree of compensation to the snake's owner. Oh, wait, it is called the legal system. And yes, I know it is far from perfect -- but on the whole I think that the brand of justice it doles out is statistically more measured than the brand of justice a mob doles out.

In situations like this, the priorities are quite simple:

1. Prevent further harm to anyone.
2. Attend to the injured
3. Get a good description of the suspects, try to follow them and relay your location to the police if it is possible to do this safely, collect witnesses for the police to talk to etc. Basically do what you can to ensure the whole thing ends up well sorted out as it enters the afformentioned legal system.

So in other words, Paige had the perfect response. There was no threat of further harm since the kid and father skedadled. The owner was almost certainly attending to the snake. So following them to their car to get the license plate would be a good tactic.

To those who have these grand visions of vigilante justice or whatnot, let me tell you that from my experience, when something like this happens everyone's first reaction is to drop their jaws and do a double-take. I worked at a bar for many years and so saw a lot of people thrown into situations for the first time. I used to always tell trainees that their very first situation they would simply drop their jaws and that the action would be over and out the door before they started to move. Only with time do you learn to start moving before your brain cues in -- and only with more time do you learn to start moving in the right direction.

And I don't want to come off as some know-it-all "real deal." I worked at a relatively tame bar for four years as a bouncer and two years as a manager in charge of the door staff. During that time, I saw about as much action as a cop or similar might see in one night. In the six years, I managed to come away with no serious injuries (luck), caused no serious injuries (luck) and never came out the bad end of the legal system (though I was questioned once for assault -- once again, luck kept me on the up-and-up). I did learn a few things, though:

When it comes to violence, you train and prepare and then you throw the dice to see the outcome. I've seen Goliaths (and I mean in terms of ability, not just size) taken down by Davids countless times. I saw the results of one lucky punch put a guy in a coma for a month. I saw a girl in real trouble for standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've seen a guy hit the ground in a way that by all rights should have killed him and then get up and I've had to restrain HIM. Let's see ... I've been part of about 800 lbs of bouncers that had a hard time subduing one guy on a combo of steroids/beer. And the list goes on. MasamuneX7 acknowledged that it only takes one hit -- but fails to realize that sometime he might be on the receiving end of that hit.

The other thing Mas has to learn is that real world violence is not like on TV, but is also not like anything you will ever do in a dojo. Even my relatively tame experiences over the years taught me to take everything I'd learned in the martial arts and chuck away 99% of it. I ended up my years with two, maybe three "moves" that I would use. All of them were heavily bastardized versions of distant relatives in the martial arts curriculum.

Cheers,
Dave

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The other thing Mas has to learn is that real world violence is not like on TV, but is also not like anything you will ever do in a dojo. Even my relatively tame experiences over the years taught me to take everything I'd learned in the martial arts and chuck away 99% of it. I ended up my years with two, maybe three "moves" that I would use. All of them were heavily bastardized versions of distant relatives in the martial arts curriculum.

Cheers,
Dave
Of course that's what it's like with any martial arts. The number of useful techniques for you grows the more accustomed you become to executing them to the point that it's second nature. No one can truly master everything a style has to offer.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My thoughts exactaly... I also find it rather interesting that he decided to quit this thread with out responding to my only post. Rex
Another thing I'd like to mention is that this sort of thing is both cultural and societal. Here in the US, you can't quite resolve this without getting the authorities involved, not to mention that slapping kids is viewed wrongfully by the majority of the white population - not to generalize or anything, but this seems to be the case with what I've experienced growing up. In other countries, the authorities wouldn't care. You can easily resolve this amongst yourselves, and among the minority population in the US, many see nothing wrong with that kind of discipline. I assume that most people here are white Americans, so of course the general population here would side against slapping the kid.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, as you could bring up valid points for either side, because right and wrong are heavily dictated by society.

Last edited:

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another thing I'd like to mention is that this sort of thing is both cultural and societal. Here in the US, you can't quite resolve this without getting the authorities involved, not to mention that slapping kids is viewed wrongfully by the majority of the white population - not to generalize or anything, but this seems to be the case with what I've experienced growing up. In other countries, the authorities wouldn't care. You can easily resolve this amongst yourselves, and among the minority population in the US, many see nothing wrong with that kind of discipline. I assume that most people here are white Americans, so of course the general population here would side against slapping the kid.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, as you could bring up valid points for either side, because right and wrong are heavily dictated by society.

Huh??? Not sure how I got involved in this pissing match, with the post you quoted me on. I did my best to steer clear of the kid stomping vigilante war of the words.

I was questioning the value of a 10ft albino burmese python being worth $250-$500. I had the impression it may be worth more, and as a long time pet to the owner I'm sure it would be priceless.

Was only curious because I have seen smaller snakes sell at shows for $25000 + .

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Huh??? Not sure how I got involved in this pissing match, with the post you quoted me on. I did my best to steer clear of the kid stomping vigilante war of the words.

I was questioning the value of a 10ft albino burmese python being worth $250-$500. I had the impression it may be worth more, and as a long time pet to the owner I'm sure it would be priceless.

Was only curious because I have seen smaller snakes sell at shows for $25000 + .
babies will always be alittle more because they are easier to sell most people want babies so they can grow them themselves,alot of people don't have the room for the big ones,they end up almost giving them away(zoos,theme parks,breeders etc) i'm in fla. and they are everywhere and people are always trying to get rid of them,too big etc,hell they even release them here:eek: i used to work in a exotic reptile store and at least 1x week someone would want to sell/even give away their big burmese albino or normal types,but to the person who owned the 1 that got killed:mad: to him it would be priceless,(because he was keeping it as his pet)but they are common,and the big ones don't sell as quickly as the babies:)

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
babies will always be alittle more because they are easier to sell most people want babies so they can grow them themselves,alot of people don't have the room for the big ones,they end up almost giving them away(zoos,theme parks,breeders etc) i'm in fla. and they are everywhere and people are always trying to get rid of them,too big etc,hell they even release them here:eek: i used to work in a exotic reptile store and at least 1x week someone would want to sell/even give away their big burmese albino or normal types,but to the person who owned the 1 that got killed:mad: to him it would be priceless,(because he was keeping it as his pet)but they are common,and the big ones don't sell as quickly as the babies:)
Thank you for the value clarification.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Whoops, my bad. I quoted the wrong person. Yeah, beetleman answered it.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dylan to Evli Monkey "That's what you get for killing my snake, B1+ch!"

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgjcvxQjpKA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgjcvxQjpKA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

But still a very sad story.

tarantulaholic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Idiot kid should be in handcuff, procecuted and pay for crime. Father should pay for damage, worth/value of snake/time spent raising the snake to the 10feet size.
If I was in crowd, I would have grabbed that kid, till authorities arrived.
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^ Yeah I was gonna say this looks strangly familiar. To think its been two years...really takes me back...

sorry-spam

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope you guys know that this thread is over 2 yeards old.
Actually it's about a year and 4 months old..

...sorry had to be a smart ass. :cool:

Never chimed in, but now that I PERSONALLY own a 10+ Albino burmese python, oh man I don't know what I'd do if someone did that to my boy. I would persue a law-suit and make sure that kid ends up with some form of punishment. Whether it's LOADS and LOADS of community service, or some time behind bars. Something to teach this kid that is NOT right.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Omg, jesus christ... There are no words to describe how sick and angry this has made me.... utterly disgusting. If that had been my snake, I'd probably be on death row right now for killing the boy and his father. Stuff like this just makes me explode.

Last edited by a moderator: