Kickin' Hairs at a meal

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Hahaha man, I just fed my 1.5" emilia sling and there is no exaggeration when they say they are notorious hair kickers...hahah Immediately it starting kicking at the cricket when I dropped it in....lol,..Woke up this morning and saw more than half his or her abdomen bald. :(...Nice and big though....Wow, I dont think Ill be attempting to handle this one anytime soon...

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. emilia is afraid of B. dubia roaches. She's about 3 1/2". Kicks hairs at them every time, and will not eat one. Crickets are fine.

I really want to switch her to roaches though. She just molted, and I will hate to see her get the big old bald patch again.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My B. emilia is afraid of B. dubia roaches. She's about 3 1/2". Kicks hairs at them every time, and will not eat one. Crickets are fine.

I really want to switch her to roaches though. She just molted, and I will hate to see her get the big old bald patch again.

Just like any other animal I've ever cared for, exotic or not, given enough time away from food they will come to take prey they might not today.

I'm not 100% but fairly sure if you stop with the crickets and introduce a roach on a slower schedule, say every couple of weeks, without feeding anything else there will be a time their food drive will supersede the fear/detest of the prey you want them to take.

If they are hungry enough, they will take it. Again I would slow the feeding schedule on the crickets until your letting the feedings go weeks between each other and I bet after awhile your T will accept roaches. Some of mine were the same and all are now gladly taking them every opportunity they can.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. ^
I was going 2-3 weeks between attempts. She is in no way starving, so I figured maybe I would wait a solid four weeks before feeding again.
Totally agree that she should eat the B. dubia if hungry. I plan on holding out until the dubia are eaten.