Keys To keeping A. versicolor

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok guys this thread is something I wanted to start because I just lost a versi and I wanna see what experienced keepers of this species have to say. Is the key ventilation, and small amount of water to reduce the chances of this spider getting mold in the lungs? Or should it be kept at low humidity all together? Is stagnet air the main danger? I love this species and I want to know what can help make them healthier and happier.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Ok guys this thread is something I wanted to start because I just lost a versi and I wanna see what experienced keepers of this species have to say. Is the key ventilation, and small amount of water to reduce the chances of this spider getting mold in the lungs? Or should it be kept at low humidity all together? Is stagnet air the main danger? I love this species and I want to know what can help make them healthier and happier.
I'm no authority, but stagnant air is bad for anything except mold pretty much. IME, plenty of food, water, and being left alone works just fine.....
As for whether this sp. is really all that delicate.... Not so in my experience. I had an escaped 2.5 incher live, and molt, in my bedroom for around 3-4 months, before I caught her. Southern Californian indoor humidity was survived with no concievable water source, and what appeared to be small flies, and a few moths. When captured it showed no signs of having any problems at all.
The slings I have kept have never received any special attention. Ventilated vial+food+water+room temp..
They do seem to be a bit high strung for the most part, IMO, at least compared to others of the genus. I don't worry about it though, because I leave them alone.
Better luck with next(or the rest). Some slings just don't thrive.
Scott

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't speak to A. versicolor alone, but I have raised two avics (A. purpurea and A. avicularia) to maturity, does that count? I do have a versi sling now and it is strong and healthy. I feed once a week, and mist or give drops to a sling, twice a week. I provide plenty of humidity, and plenty of ventilation. I have also provided my bigger avics with more than one water dish for extra humidity.
The other thing I just started doing with my avics and my pokies is that I have been putting gravel under the substrate and then using a syringe made to inject marinades into turkeys to inject the gravel with water. That way there is a constant source of moisture, but the substrate isn't always soaking wet. I have been using this method on my emperor scorpions and my tailless whip scorpion as well with good results.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My versi likes it a llittle more humid and "wet." I definatly dont keep either one of the versis I have dry.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
My receipes:

Receipe for disaster:
Stagnant air, humid conditions (65%+). Personal loss: 5

Receipe for success:
God ventilation, normal room humidity, lots to drink, once a week a slight soaking of the substrate in one corner - for the heck of it. Personal survivers: 1

Total: 6.

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Last month I killed my fifth attempt at raising one of these animals.

:wall:

Next time they come available from Tarantula Canada, I'm going to buy TEN!!
TEN!!! I'm going to fight my versicolor curse with everything I've got!

*ahem* That said, I've raised other species of avicularia just fine. Ventilation seems to be key.
D.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last month I killed my fifth attempt at raising one of these animals.

:wall:

Next time they come available from Tarantula Canada, I'm going to buy TEN!!
TEN!!! I'm going to fight my versicolor curse with everything I've got!

*ahem* That said, I've raised other species of avicularia just fine. Ventilation seems to be key.
D.
Like I said I lost one last week and it seemed to be the ventilation that was the poblem and maybe mold that it might have breathed in. It was in a small spice container and I gave it a couple of drops of water every other day, but I did notice that the ventilation was an issue after I started exploring and readin even more about them. VENTILATION FOR THE VERSICOLOR!!!!I am going to put holes all over the top of its deli cup once i get another one next week.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've done well so far (knock on wood), with A. purpurea (3), A bicegoi (3) and A. versi.

I started with 1/2"+ slings in 50 dram vials with 1/2" damp (not wet) eco-earth at the bottom. The vial lid has a bunch of holes and I drilled a line of hole around the middle of the vial. I put in a couple of sticks for them to attach webbing. I pop the lid once a week and feed them a roach. They often will snatch it from the tweezers. If the substrate looks dry, I give it a couple squirts. The Ap and Ab have molted 2-3 times and are 1 - 1.5".

My 1.75" A. versi is in a 4x4x6 display case from Michael's with about 40 holes drilled in the top and sides. About 1" eco-earth on the bottom, kept damp.

At what size can one say to themselves, "Ok, you're not going to drop dead all of a sudden on me." with avic slings?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have/have raised purpurea, bicegoi, versicolor, and minatrix slings.

i keep them in well-ventilated vials on peat moss. i stopped using twigs/toothpicks/other wood due to molding. instead, i use small pieces of fake ivy/greenery that they can web up. i keep all babies at room temperature (~70-74 F).

i give a quick pump of the spray bottle (not directly in at the lid, but about 3-4" up from the lid to allow for more of a mist and less of a spray) about twice a week. the key is to leave a light mist on the walls, web, or substrate without leaving little puddles in orders. (little puddles almost always become moldy spots.)