User KevinLovett's Tarantula Pictures

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
I decided I should get me one, so I got one about a month ago.

question, why does it cover its web with dirt?

also, it just threw out its old molt today and I can’t reach it, even with tweezers

and, look at them paws
B79B0F51-CD08-4A2D-BD67-26225D1856E3.jpeg
i noticed it finally started showing some blue, but only with flash, but I don’t wanna make a habit of using flash photography or bright light because I know they’re very sensitive to light.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Most tarantulas will build some sort of dirt curtain, it's normal behaviour. It helps them to hide.

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
Aight, so I moved my little pokie to a gigantic 300x250x250 enclosure with a couple of questions:
1) is he/she too fat?
2) I covered the large ventilation holes with cardboard and blue tack leaving a gap half the size, can I take them off by now without my T escaping?
1FF90334-F404-42E9-B812-65837ABBD6F1.jpeg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Aight, so I moved my little pokie to a gigantic 300x250x250 enclosure with a couple of questions:
1) is he/she too fat?
2) I covered the large ventilation holes with cardboard and blue tack leaving a gap half the size, can I take them off by now without my T escaping?
View attachment 338709
Yes, that spider has a huge abdomen. I wouldn't feed it again until it molts. As a general rule, the abdomen should roughly equal 1.5x the size of the carapace. How often are you feeding it? Also, be careful of having a small spider in a huge enclosure, especially with those ventilation holes. I'm not sure if it's just an odd camera perspective, but if it weren't for that huge abdomen, that spider could easily fit through those slits in the plastic. Keep covering them until the spider is much larger. They are escape artists.

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
Yes, that spider has a huge abdomen. I wouldn't feed it again until it molts. As a general rule, the abdomen should roughly equal 1.5x the size of the carapace. How often are you feeding it? Also, be careful of having a small spider in a huge enclosure, especially with those ventilation holes. I'm not sure if it's just an odd camera perspective, but if it weren't for that huge abdomen, that spider could easily fit through those slits in the plastic. Keep covering them until the spider is much larger. They are escape artists.
Fed it 2 weeks ago, and yeah, I have cardboard covering the ventilation holes, but they still let air through, also have smaller holes that didn’t need covering.
It was out and about last night, so was able to take this pic. I saw what looks like a molt caught in the webbing, but I won’t know for sure until it cleans house. Let’s hope it comes out soon to sport brighter colours and hopefully some blue.
Thanks for that size guide.
And as for enclosure size, it used to bolt all over the place in the cup I had it, so I was scared that rehousing might be a bit of a nightmare that’s why I went a few sizes up

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
It was premolt, now flashing some blue, probably gonna fade once the new skin hardens off, but it’s blue nonetheless

maybe I won’t feed again until it fully exposes itself so I can take a look at that booty, this pic is from last Friday and haven’t seen more than legs since
5ECEAA8F-19EB-40EC-BAFC-291A0EE5DEEB.jpeg