keks' millipedes

keks

Arachnobaron
I had a disturbing experience this night, I don't know where to post. So I join it with my millipedes, they are affected from this incidence.
Today it was planned to collect new leaves and wood for my millipedes. It would be very necessary because the street to this wood was closed for weeks and I noticed that the leaves I have still at home smell like perfume :wideyed:. Something dropped in the bucket :shifty:.

But tonight we had a really heavy thunderstorm here and I am not sure if I should visit a wood after that.
It was crazy. The storm had speeds up to 130 km/h, many trees are broken, 2 people died and ten people are insured, some very seriously, because a big party tent from an official festival in another city was crashed by the storm.
In our neighboring village something had burned.

Directly in front of my balcony there is the tree-top of a big tree, the sound of the storm in this tree was not a howling, it was a screaming. Absolutely unreal, we live here in a very sheltered environment. Thunderstorms are rare.
I was afraid that this tree would break and fall to my(our) balcony(s). Lightning all the time, like a stroboscope lamp in a disco, heavy rain. On my balcony itself I had no problems, because it is sheltered from the house walls. It wasn't even wet.

In our inner yard one of the big firs broke. The dove-couple lost their home again, and I saw only one of them sitting on the rest of the broken tree, it looked very bushed. I really hope that both of them are well. I love this doves. Last year they were pruning the big tree in front of my balcony, that was for minimum 6 years the home of this doves.
Electricity is back again (there were up to 150.000 households without electricity, some are still without electricity), but internet doesn't work. I have internet now from my phone. Satellite tv doesn't work too, as same as the railway. No train since tonight, usually there are up to 240 trains a day.

I tried to make a video from the storm, to catch the screaming tree and the permanent lightnings. Unfortunately it doesn't really work, I couldn't catch the noise as it really was, nor the lightnings. Bad phone cam.

Now I need to go shopping for the weekend. I am curious how the city looks like. It was the heaviest thunderstorm I experienced since I was child. Really unreal and fascinating at the same time. Unleashed nature. 2013 we had one of the highest floods here since a few hundred years. I was in the lucky position to live on a slight hill. No water here. But a big part of our small city was land submerged. The usual water level is here about 4 meter, during the flood it has been 10.7 meter.

Sorry when my report sounds confuse. I am still excited.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
My eyes are watering, I didn't think your pede was real! It's stunning! <3

Marika

Arachnoangel
I had a disturbing experience this night, I don't know where to post. So I join it with my millipedes, they are affected from this incidence.
Today it was planned to collect new leaves and wood for my millipedes. It would be very necessary because the street to this wood was closed for weeks and I noticed that the leaves I have still at home smell like perfume :wideyed:. Something dropped in the bucket :shifty:.

But tonight we had a really heavy thunderstorm here and I am not sure if I should visit a wood after that.
It was crazy. The storm had speeds up to 130 km/h, many trees are broken, 2 people died and ten people are insured, some very seriously, because a big party tent from an official festival in another city was crashed by the storm.

Directly in front of my balcony there is the tree-top of a big tree, the sound of the storm in this tree was not a howling, it was a screaming. Absolutely unreal, we live here in a very sheltered environment. Thunderstorms are rare.
I was afraid that this tree would break and fall to my(our) balcony(s). Lightning all the time, like a stroboscope lamp in a disco, heavy rain. On my balcony itself I had no problems, because it is sheltered from the house walls. It wasn't even wet.

In our inner yard one of the big firs broke. The dove-couple lost their home again, and I saw only one of them sitting on the rest of the broken tree, it looked very bushed. I really hope that both of them are well. I love this doves. Last year they were pruning the big tree in front of my balcony, that was for minimum 6 years the home of this doves.
Electricity is back again (there were up to 150.000 households without electricity, some are still without electricity), but internet doesn't work. I have internet now from my phone. Satellite tv doesn't work too, as same as the railway. No train since tonight, usually there are up to 240 trains a day.

I tried to make a video from the storm, to catch the screaming tree and the permanent lightnings. Unfortunately it doesn't really work, I couldn't catch the noise as it really was, nor the lightnings. Bad phone cam.

Now I need to go shopping for the weekend. I am curious how the city looks like. It was the heaviest thunderstorm I experienced since I was child. Really unreal and fascinating at the same time. Unleashed nature. 2013 we had one of the highest floods here since a few hundred years. I was in the lucky position to live on a slight hill. No water here. But a big part of our small city was land submerged. The usual water level is here about 4 meter, during the flood it has been 10.7 meter.

Sounds scary!

SFA

Arachnoknight

Wow, that sounds crazy. I'm glad you are ok.

keks

Arachnobaron
Wow, that sounds crazy. I'm glad you are ok.
Thanks. I was looking at the tree in front of my balcony and was really thankful that he could resist this storm. I am so sad that the videos are so bad. It shows not even rudimentary what really happend. Otherwise it had been the first video I ever loaded up to youtube for sharing.

I miss a "thanks" in the rating-smilies ^^.

keks

Arachnobaron
Ah. Sat-tv works again, but internet is still dead. They have apparently massive problems in more parts of Austria, I hope they will fix that problem soon. My phone has only limited internet :bag:.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
So glad you are not harmed! I love the power of a storm. I just sit and reflect the tiny person I am in a huge world that could just swallow me and all my millipedes up. Good to wait on collecting. Human heads are no match for broken branches.

keks

Arachnobaron
Thank you, I am glad that we had "only" material damage, even when the broken trees make me sad. They were old and high trees. Such power of nature is unbelievable. But I'm soooo sorry for the two dead persons and the 50 injured persons from this festival.
Yes, we are tiny little things in this world. And still make such a lot of bad things to our planet.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I have now pics from my pedelings. They start to become brown and I guess they are not Tonkinbolus but the chocolate brown millipedes what I think they are Ophistreptus guineensis. I had two of them in the same enclosure for a short time.
Whatever, they are cute ^^.
In reality they are a little bit darker, I had to lighten up the pics a bit because they were too dark. And the brown colour is different too, some are light brown, others are darker. Today I counted +/- 25 pedelings on the surface.

View attachment 246757
View attachment 246758

View attachment 246759

View attachment 246760

View attachment 246761

View attachment 246762

View attachment 246763

Here are the chocolate brown millipedes:
View attachment 246764

View attachment 246766
View attachment 246765
I don't have better pics just now, because they are in the underground. But they have a nice chocolate brown colour, darker than the pics show.
Any new pics of the babies? Have they grown a lot?

keks

Arachnobaron
Any new pics of the babies? Have they grown a lot?
The pedelings disappeared all at the same time and never came back, no idea what happened. The Tonkinbolus in the same enclosure died. I am not sure, if they died because of old age, or if something going wrong.
I only have the second enclosure with Spirostreptidae sp. 6 and the chocolate brown ones, they are still fine. Both Mardonius died too.
At the moment I don't buy any other millipedes, I am glad that my current species are still alive :/.

Marika

Arachnoangel
The pedelings disappeared all at the same time and never came back, no idea what happened. The Tonkinbolus in the same enclosure died. I am not sure, if they died because of old age, or if something going wrong.
I only have the second enclosure with Spirostreptidae sp. 6 and the chocolate brown ones, they are still fine. Both Mardonius died too.
At the moment I don't buy any other millipedes, I am glad that my current species are still alive :/.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had that happen to some of my pedelings, it sucks when you don't know what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future. Some species just are more sensitive than others. The adults might have just been old.

keks

Arachnobaron
What's going on with this chocolate millipede? I thought about some moments it is dead, but it is still alive. I am not sure, how long it is in this condition now, I am not healthy since a longer time now and I only can give water and food without watching as it would be necessary. I mean the broader stripes, they are partly black coloured.
Can I do anything for it? I don't need another loss -.-".
IMG_20171123_102251.jpg

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I don't know about this, but I have a Narceus pedeling that went under for a molt and came up looking burned; half of her plates had black scars and strange dark smears. She still looks like that but eats and walks just fine, so she will make it to the next molt. I'm not sure if this is the same thing with yours. He looks like he's missing legs near the affected area and the yellow bands could indicate a more serious condition.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
It could be old age? He doesn't look dehydrated or anything. Hope he pulls through. :(

keks

Arachnobaron
It could be old age? He doesn't look dehydrated or anything. Hope he pulls through. :(
It could be old age, of course. As I bought them they have been adults for sure :(.
I also hope that he can pull through. From four species I still have two now. It really sucks to buy adults, you never know how long they are still alive or if they still are able to breed :(.

I don't know about this, but I have a Narceus pedeling that went under for a molt and came up looking burned; half of her plates had black scars and strange dark smears. She still looks like that but eats and walks just fine, so she will make it to the next molt. I'm not sure if this is the same thing with yours. He looks like he's missing legs near the affected area and the yellow bands could indicate a more serious condition.
Yes, in this area there are legs missing. Under the leaves it is more black, but I don't know how the legs look like there. I don't want to take him fully out of the leaves to avoid too much stress.
But the other millipedes in this enclosure are absolutely fine, it is only this one which looks that way.