Keeping wild spiders.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
My Yellow Sac spider. Here they are called Ghost Spiders, and with good reason. {D

[youtube]Xl65mRfV3B4[/youtube]

[youtube]uvOfVWgBcLM[/youtube]

[youtube]zVf6KM4kSls[/youtube]

S.

Tresta

Arachnopeon
I'd believe the botched egg sac more than the excrement. I've seen her droppings before, they are very small. It's still gooey 4 days after I discovered it. I'm new to spiders so figured this would be the place to ask. Only got about 8 months of spider keeping. :)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look at the dark brown chelicerae of my spider. That alone should tell you what it is. :)

S.
I couldnt stand more than 1/4 second of the music and I really dont want to try to distinguish similar families from a somewhat blurry youtube video, if its a "yellow sac spider" then that common name almost always applies to Cheiracanthium sp.... If its an anyphaenid why call it a sac spider with the first sentence, and if its not one why call it a ghost spider? :?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I couldnt stand more than 1/4 second of the music and I really dont want to try to distinguish similar families from a somewhat blurry youtube video, if its a "yellow sac spider" then that common name almost always applies to Cheiracanthium sp.... If its an anyphaenid why call it a sac spider with the first sentence, and if its not one why call it a ghost spider? :?
Well, excuse me... OK... Anyphaenidae is correct for Ghost Spiders. I intended to be a little sarcastic with the "here is my Yellow Sac... called Ghost Spiders blah blah" remark.

Thank you for the kind comments of the vids, BTW. :clap: Very nice. Those vids are for educational purposes, no need to trash them. :embarrassed:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just treat every spider you find as if it is dangerous. Contain it, bring it home, and ID it. If you don't want it after you figure it out, put it back where you found it. That's what I do with all inverts that I cannot immediately ID as harmless.
Thanks! will do! as of lately I haven't found anything sides the common grass spiders and common house spiders. But ill keep looking and hope to id

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as of lately I haven't found anything sides the common grass spiders and common house spiders. But ill keep looking and hope to id
I haven't seen much yet this year either. NJ had a harsh winter, and spring is taking its time. Within the next 1-3 weeks that will begin to change though, so keep it up. Check out the walls outside your home that get a lot of sun during the day, because the jumping spiders are starting to emerge.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! will do! as of lately I haven't found anything sides the common grass spiders and common house spiders. But ill keep looking and hope to id
You need to move out to the desert. In no time you'll have Brown recluses (okay, the L. Deserti-whatchamacalit lol) black widows and their aunts and uncles, scorpion and tarantulas... oh and for good measure... I'm waiting to hunt some sun spiders and vinegaroons at a friends place of business when they're back from vacation. Lots of fun stuff here.... oh and the snakes...

And in reference to the debate of the possibility of your little spider having a nasty bite or not... just don't give it a good-nite kiss and you should be fine :)

Edit: to my above comment really... if you don't know what it is, don't mess with it. Better to enjoy watching them in nature then risk getting hurt... even if it's minimal...

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't seen much yet this year either. NJ had a harsh winter, and spring is taking its time. Within the next 1-3 weeks that will begin to change though, so keep it up. Check out the walls outside your home that get a lot of sun during the day, because the jumping spiders are starting to emerge.
I am. I found so far... A sort of aquatic beetle or toe biter I can't tell yet. It looks like a mix of em. I found a large house centipede. Which is currently in a container with no soil or anything just cause Iam doing more research on it. They seem pretty easy to care for as far I am reading. Lots of moisture. Foods: crickets work fine. Longevity:3-7yrs. Its in a critter keeper. lol

I'm going to try going to bear lake sometime tommorrow or sunday.

As for the p. auddax I don't know if they are where I live. My house is like "no-bug's land" xD I try putting bricks, and planks in the yard to get stuff going. But I find nothing. Everything we have here seems small and boring. D:

Spiders are small, millipedes are small, centipedes are small, beetles are small. It seems everything in our area is generally small or extremely short lived.

I like cicada nymphs, I don't think I could find one or keep one. The nymphs live along time.
Spiders I never see interesting spiders in nj. Maybe Iam going about it the wrong way. Maybe Iam not searching the good areas. :x

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

You need to move out to the desert. In no time you'll have Brown recluses (okay, the L. Deserti-whatchamacalit lol) black widows and their aunts and uncles, scorpion and tarantulas... oh and for good measure... I'm waiting to hunt some sun spiders and vinegaroons at a friends place of business when they're back from vacation. Lots of fun stuff here.... oh and the snakes...

And in reference to the debate of the possibility of your little spider having a nasty bite or not... just don't give it a good-nite kiss and you should be fine :)

Edit: to my above comment really... if you don't know what it is, don't mess with it. Better to enjoy watching them in nature then risk getting hurt... even if it's minimal...
iam not a fan of desert. ;x I sorta like cool, and damp weather at most.

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As for the p. auddax I don't know if they are where I live. My house is like "no-bug's land" xD I try putting bricks, and planks in the yard to get stuff going. But I find nothing.
It is extremely likely that P. audax are in your area. I'd even go as far as to say that they definitely are. They are common but not abundant. I have found 5 P. audax (2 were together - a male and a female) in the past 2 years or so, and on only one of those occasions was I actually looking for one. I found one randomly on a fence in my yard and haven't seen another around the house since. Look at walls that get a lot of sun, as well as fences and leaves. You're basically looking for a little moving black blob. That said, the male and female I found together were under a rock. You'll see smaller jumping spiders as well. Last weekend I saw 4 very different small jumpers on the walls of my house. They're out there, you just need to look often, and get used to detecting the movement of small things.

Edited to add: The one time I was actually looking for one, I was looking at a wall for a moving black blob and happened to see one.

Bricks and planks in your yard is a good idea! Give it some time. Like I said, it's been a cold spring. As it gets warmer, you'll see the spiders emerge.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything we have here seems small and boring. D:
A magnifying glass will fix that. :)

Spiders I never see interesting spiders in nj. Maybe Iam going about it the wrong way. Maybe Iam not searching the good areas.
Could be. There are probably several hundred or more different species of spiders in NJ, if the numbers in nearby states are any indication. Look everywhere, especially in potential hiding places - cracks in fences, under boards and rocks, under bark, rolled up in leaves, on the side of your house, in your basement, in abandoned bird nests, in leaf litter, inside of garden ornaments, under the siding on the house, behind porch lights, under piles of stuff in the garage, etc. Spiders are more abundant than you may think. With a little practice you'll catch on to where they are.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is extremely likely that P. audax are in your area. I'd even go as far as to say that they definitely are. They are common but not abundant. I have found 5 P. audax (2 were together - a male and a female) in the past 2 years or so, and on only one of those occasions was I actually looking for one. I found one randomly on a fence in my yard and haven't seen another around the house since. Look at walls that get a lot of sun, as well as fences and leaves. You're basically looking for a little moving black blob. That said, the male and female I found together were under a rock. You'll see smaller jumping spiders as well. Last weekend I saw 4 very different small jumpers on the walls of my house. They're out there, you just need to look often, and get used to detecting the movement of small things.

Edited to add: The one time I was actually looking for one, I was looking at a wall for a moving black blob and happened to see one.

Bricks and planks in your yard is a good idea! Give it some time. Like I said, it's been a cold spring. As it gets warmer, you'll see the spiders emerge.
Yes it has. But things are starting to come to life. As well as I would like to ask since you live in nj as well. Do you happen to know the laws of what you can catch and cannot catch in nj? Not just insects itself. Stuff like Insects(that includes arachnids--imo), reptiles, amphibians, fish, etc.

Would you happen to know? I keep looking online but all I find is pdf files. Iam not too good with comps so idk how to open one.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Could be. There are probably several hundred or more different species of spiders in NJ, if the numbers in nearby states are any indication. Look everywhere, especially in potential hiding places - cracks in fences, under boards and rocks, under bark, rolled up in leaves, on the side of your house, in your basement, in abandoned bird nests, in leaf litter, inside of garden ornaments, under the siding on the house, behind porch lights, under piles of stuff in the garage, etc. Spiders are more abundant than you may think. With a little practice you'll catch on to where they are.
You're right. :]

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL. Do you mean...that they won't be as small....or they won't be as boring? Because, ahem, I could think of a way to make small bugs fun with a magnifying glass....other than making them look larger. :D

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL. Do you mean...that they won't be as small....or they won't be as boring? Because, ahem, I could think of a way to make small bugs fun with a magnifying glass....other than making them look larger. :D
Ahem...We want to promote keeping the little creatures alive and unharmed while we look at them on this board, Venom. :embarrassed: :p (no frying them!)

Tresta

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know how to care for an egg sac? My eastern parson spider just laid her eggs and webbed them up. She put them up in the corner of her container. Do I need to keep it a certain humidity, or temperature or anything? I know she's going to guard it until they hatch, but is there anything I need to do to prevent them all from perishing? Any advice would be appreciated. (I caught her recently and this was not planned, so I'm totally not prepared. I don't wanna kill the poor things because I don't know what to to :-()

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol... now that's funny.... hmmm, I mean, bad Vemon, BAD lol...

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know how to care for an egg sac? My eastern parson spider just laid her eggs and webbed them up. She put them up in the corner of her container. Do I need to keep it a certain humidity, or temperature or anything? I know she's going to guard it until they hatch, but is there anything I need to do to prevent them all from perishing? Any advice would be appreciated. (I caught her recently and this was not planned, so I'm totally not prepared. I don't wanna kill the poor things because I don't know what to to :-()
Try posting this into a seperate thread. You may yield more answers than you currently may have.