Keeping wild spiders.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sheesh. are you *sure* e is your p?
Are you sure? Your slang is horrible, with this being an ironic example.

Here's the bottom line. Somewhere along the lines you confused an entire genus with one species. I suggested the OP get a Steatoda triangulosa, not any other Steatoda.

This is what the Wikipedia definition says about this species in relation to why I suggested it:

They are not aggressive. Other, larger members of the Steatoda genus do have medically significant bites, but there are no recorded bites or envenomations by this spider. (Steatoda triangulosa).
Did you read that? No recorded bites or envenomations by this spider!

Here's the rest of the page, if you want to read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulate_cobweb_spider

And I have experience with all three of the species we're discussing: S. triangulosa, P. tepidariorum, and Cheiracanthium species, so I'm not just reading information on the net, but also have the firsthand experience to back what I'm claiming.

That's all for me. Have a good day everyone.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
because it is fun to use the word idiot

It's FUN to use that word??? I always thought it was fun to do stuff like playing video games, shooting pool, camping, etc. Man, If i knew it was fun to use that word, i could've saved myself a lot of time, and money over the past years doing the things i always thought were fun. :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
blue: i don't care what wiki says. it's an ok resource if you follow all the links, but other than that you have no idea where that info is coming from. edit: yeah, see that article sucks. it has no inline citations so you don't know where their info is coming from. that bite statement is not backed up by anything so it's pretty much valueless. don't they teach you how to use wiki in school these days?

i have read hundreds of papers and am almost positive it has in fact been implicated in bites with greater than zero effect. no spider in the genus can really said to be harmless in the way that something like an Argiope orb weaver is. so, suggesting one as a better, safer alternative than a sac spider is stupid. i've said it six times in six different ways. apparently i've lost my touch. and i used to think i could teach monkeys calculus. woe is me.

also, learn what ironic means. that isn't it.

gray: stick to what you're good at. this ain't it. there is no exclusivity implied, so all those other things can still be fun :) also, please try to remain on topic and not crap it up with worthless drivel. or if you *are* going to insert worthless drivel, please try to make it funny, at least.

grayhound

Arachnosquire
QUOTE : gray: stick to what you're good at. this ain't it. there is no exclusivity implied, so all those other things can still be fun also, please try to remain on topic and not crap it up with worthless drivel. or if you *are* going to insert worthless drivel, please try to make it funny, at least.

Stick to what I'm good at, and this AIN'T it???? What's that supposed to mean? Also.... I personally thought the comment i made was pretty funny. I just don't see where saying that word is "fun"

Anyway.... i'm not on here to argue and bicker.... so .... you win, i lose!:worship: I take back everything i said, and will no longer post on this thread!

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

and if miss english actually reads my posts without some silly bias and actually reads what i wrote she will find i never really talked about her at all. and her idea is... dumb. it's no big deal, i do dumb stuff all the time. i just try not to suggest dumb things that might get other ppl hurt on accident.

you can not imagine how boring it could get answering the same things hundreds of times. sometimes i got to spice it up. btw, you know what i am doing this weekend? working at a bug show for 2 or 3 days, 8 hours straight answering the same questions hundreds of times. i will likely be hoarse by the end. i'll try to make a video if it will be glorious enough =P

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

yes, because you started saying how great you are at the english and yet said i called you dumb or an idiot when i most certainly did not. so i decided to tease you, by having like... better ideas than you couched in worse english. i thought it was funny a heck, and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters

and tbh, all of them are about equally "insulting". they are how i would talk to a small child to whom i want to make sure to get my point across to. sorry =P i either have to keep simplifying or just give up. given that it's not just a potential bug injury we are looking at but a human i thought i should try again a few more times. plus, it really is quite funny
Pfft. That is insulting all over. Even if its not even directed at me. You can work at a bug show. You can be an expert. Just don't be mean about it. It only makes people go away and not learn and do mistakes. Why do you think so many people give bad care to animals? Because for one they ask a professional and the professional acts so smug about it and rudely they just decide to do it on their own. when the professional didn't learn it on his own. He/she had used a book, or the internet, or another professional. But not him/herself.

Just wanted to put it out there. It probably is dangerous what she told me. But doesn't mean I'd go out there and get it. I'm very patient about things and I wait for everyones replies before I make a decission. And even then Iam still too paranoid to physically handle a spider so I would wear gloves or catch it with some tool of a sort.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I really don't know much about grass spiders...... With my audax though, I made a custom all acrylic enclosure with a front opening door and a custom robc style backdrop. It is 12 x 12 x 12. I think that is around 3 -4 gallons. That is probably considered too large for such a small spider, but in the wild these jumping spiders can attack with a 10 - 20 foot jump onto their prey, so i wanted to give it plenty of room to "pounce" on its prey..... which it does!!... It is REALLY cool to watch! My audax is always active and roaming during the day..... they are daytime hunters! It has a few small web retreats that it hides in once in a while, but even those are against the acrylic and still allow you to see the spider.

Please forgive me for hijacking this post back to its original topic....:D.
Lol that's okay! :D I would like to learn to be very honest. I learn easier with kindness if it makes sense. Kinda leaves my mind more open--rather than it closing up. Anywho. I figured they could be a potential threat of a sort. Due to their jumping. How would you deal with that to be able to clean the tank without touching the spider or arachnid?

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

It's FUN to use that word??? I always thought it was fun to do stuff like playing video games, shooting pool, camping, etc. Man, If i knew it was fun to use that word, i could've saved myself a lot of time, and money over the past years doing the things i always thought were fun. :rolleyes:
lol. that's pretty funny. Curious. Not meaning to offend anyone but.... is.... uhh caco a troll? just sorta curious.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Have you seen his post count? I doubt he would still be here if he was trollin' all over the place. I sort of agree with him. People need to read the words and not put untyped ones in the sentence. The tone of the text is what you want it to be. You might think it sounds incredibly rude while it was written with a very different intention. No need to make stuff up because your brain wanted it to be rude.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you seen his post count? I doubt he would still be here if he was trollin' all over the place. I sort of agree with him. People need to read the words and not put untyped ones in the sentence. The tone of the text is what you want it to be. You might think it sounds incredibly rude while it was written with a very different intention. No need to make stuff up because your brain wanted it to be rude.
That's why I told him he should avoid using the word dumb. but he disregarded it. I never wanted it to be rude. why would I want it to be rude?

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's why I told him he should avoid using the word dumb. but he disregarded it. I never wanted it to be rude. why would I want it to be rude?
I think you should try to chill out a bit. You seem to be all over the boards asking questions and stirring things up. I know you want the advice of the people who post here, but you might want to try searching around a bit first. Enthusiasm is great, but I think it will be better served by trying to absorb some of the information and pictures here first. Read some of the older threads here about spiders and insects you're interested in, and get out into your backyard and neighborhood and local parks. That's the fun part. I live in NJ as well, and the outdoors is beginning to come alive. There is much to see!

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you should try to chill out a bit. You seem to be all over the boards asking questions and stirring things up. I know you want the advice of the people who post here, but you might want to try searching around a bit first. Enthusiasm is great, but I think it will be better served by trying to absorb some of the information and pictures here first. Read some of the older threads here about spiders and insects you're interested in, and get out into your backyard and neighborhood and local parks. That's the fun part. I live in NJ as well, and the outdoors is beginning to come alive. There is much to see!
Iam not trying to stir anything up. I was merely defending someone I thought wasn't doing anything wrong to begin with. I was nice about it; I don't wanna go online just to see someone be smug about something---I could go to school for that. Or a job, where Iam actually getting paid. Not saying you're being smug. Just making a general statement to clarify stuff up. Iam posting specific questions. Because almost always my questions are very specific. I never seem to find what Iam looking for. Plus as stupid as it sounds. I don't know h ow to use a forums search engine. Well this ones at least.

I understand that caco may have been right. But towards the other poster he would have done better by going the nicer way out. You yourself saw how he reacted to not just 1 person, but 2. He's intelligent, no doubt. But things should be approached diplomatic. If I'm looking just for the facts I could just pick up a book and read it. No, Iam looking for personal experience/advice. Stuff in new jersey has come to life. But I don't know where to search without getting in trouble. Most places where Iam it's either tresspassing or just plain dangerous.

I don't know what's the best place for finding stuff like frogs, toads, beetles, spiders, millipedes, etc. I mean there are woodlands. But I almost never find anything. I only find toads, snakes, frogs every now and then. and more so at the "muskellunge reservoir" I think thats how its spelled. Its in morris town.

I'm literary a newbie to insects asides the very very basics. There is no bug species list for new jersey. You can google it. You can try finding it. I'ved tried soooooooooo many times now its not even funny. And when I do end up finding basic information---never tells me how to keep it or how long it lives or whatever.

Ps: I myself am easily offended; due to the fact Iam highly sensitive and emotional. But, I do try to help people out if I feel they're getting picked on. Iam not trying to stir anything up. But its not like if I told someone "stop being mean" which I think I did if I recall, they would do it.

I have a totally different view of things than you or alot of people. SOOOO I -may- be wrong on what I said regarding the problematic behavior. I do ask a lot of questions. I just don't know how to make or come up with a topic to answer everyone of them.

It's because spring is here I'm trying to learn the most I can. So when I go out into the field Iam equiped not only with physical tools, but with knowledge and wisdom. So when I see a yellow spider I know not to come near it. Or if I see a brown recluse to immedietly stomp on it.

Idk. I apologize if Iam comming off as a jerk, or if Iam comming off as a trouble maker. Those are not my intentions though--believe me on that.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think some of the ppl here don't really get how forums work

sure, i'm talking to you all right now... but i'm also writing for posterity. the problem is that potentially you aren't just giving sandy advice of a highly dubious nature... but anyone else that searches up this thread.

sandy has qualified for me not caring what happens to it. but even i am not sociopathic enough to fire a gun into a crowd like you are doing, blue. well, sure, some crowds happily. but not randomly

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think some of the ppl here don't really get how forums work

sure, i'm talking to you all right now... but i'm also writing for posterity. the problem is that potentially you aren't just giving sandy advice of a highly dubious nature... but anyone else that searches up this thread.

sandy has qualified for me not caring what happens to it. but even i am not sociopathic enough to fire a gun into a crowd like you are doing, blue. well, sure, some crowds happily. but not randomly
Question the name "blue" keeps appearing... Who is blue?

-Iam going to bed now as Iam getting cranky and more emotionally drained have a good night everyone.-

Ps: I do get how forums work; just rather not have that feeling like I'm being pecked at(figurative speech meaning sorta like feeling bullied). Nor like to see it happen to others. Iam sure if it happened to you- you can take care of yourself. Still would be rather upset to see it happen. Even if its to you--since I have nothing against you. Sure, you may have come off rude but it's not too bad. Still though.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cyan = blue

so, for the record, you would rather have me be polite and get you bit by a neurotoxic spider. got it.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Okay. SO I decided to make a new thread so people would more or less know what Iam asking. I already got my question answered for the ID. But now my question is. What spiders from new jersey are possible to keep in captivity? I like spiders that do not hide/burrow. I rather look at it. Even if its not active.

Would you guys be able to provide pictures and actual places where I can physically find them? Can you find them at this time of year? If so how long would they live? Can you get them to breed so you can have an offspring so you can start from birth to death.?
Shall we get back on track? :wall:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because almost always my questions are very specific. I never seem to find what Iam looking for. Plus as stupid as it sounds. I don't know h ow to use a forums search engine. Well this ones at least.
stolen from joe's (xhexdx) sig - nifty search function tutorial. now you're a real AB member, you've already been told to "search moar".

sanddeku, please do this.

honestly, i haven't found your questions to be particularly unique, they have been asked before (and will be asked again) and i have a vague feeling you want the hobby to hand you all of it's information on a silver platter. beware of trusting just one source of information, or even just the search function on this site.

and that is not a shot at anyone in this thread. i have learned a fair amount from posts by both main contributing members, and understand what caco means. pull up an old thread from early 2000's with outdated (sometimes laughably so) advice and you'll see where caco is coming from and is trying to accomplish.

maybe you'll get it once you check out the tutorial.

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cyanocean said:
cacoseraph said:
counter blah
cyanocean said:
cacoseraph said:
counter retort
Please stow it, both of you, there is dispute even among arachnologists as to the nature of these fun little spiders venom... If you get bitten show due diligence and clean the bite to prevent infection and watch for an allergic reaction, then sit back and enjoy the mild tingle or slight ache.

The spiders wont kill you, they might make your fingertip a little unpleasant or not... Do we really need however many posts back and forth about this? :?

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SandDeku,

In case you didn't see it before, check out this page and click around on the "Spider Fact Sheets" links on the right to see some pictures and habitat information. This is for Pennsylvania spiders, but most if not all of them are also found in NJ.

Guide to Commonly Found PA Spiders
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/commonly-encountered-pennsylvania-spiders

Also, here is a link to pictures taken in New Jersey on BugGuide.net:
http://bugguide.net/adv_search/bgse...dult=&immature=&male=&female=&representative=

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SandDeku,

In case you didn't see it before, check out this page and click around on the "Spider Fact Sheets" links on the right to see some pictures and habitat information. This is for Pennsylvania spiders, but most if not all of them are also found in NJ.

Guide to Commonly Found PA Spiders
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/commonly-encountered-pennsylvania-spiders

Also, here is a link to pictures taken in New Jersey on BugGuide.net:
http://bugguide.net/adv_search/bgse...dult=&immature=&male=&female=&representative=
But I never seen them in my parts.... Iam in north NJ round morris town. :/ I find nothing there except the common yellow sacs, occassional wolfs, and grass spiders.

I dont know exactly where to look for them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Please stow it, both of you, there is dispute even among arachnologists as to the nature of these fun little spiders venom... If you get bitten show due diligence and clean the bite to prevent infection and watch for an allergic reaction, then sit back and enjoy the mild tingle or slight ache.

The spiders wont kill you, they might make your fingertip a little unpleasant or not... Do we really need however many posts back and forth about this? :?
what what what. i am so disappoint in you. the point is that the OP is piss scared of sac spiders and triangles are no better suggestion than them. blue is giving blithe, bad advice and i won't stand for it.

it's not that i think triangles or Cheira can really mess someone up. far from it. i'm the guy who plays with them all. it's the fact that blue didn't even bother to tell that Steatoda genus is a near cousin to the widow genus (and are called false widows) and that triangles could regionally or human specifically have a potent bite. i'm glad she spent 5 seconds wiki'ing it. but i have spent years and years reading as many medical journals and other sources of literature that i can.... and i am almost positive triangles HAVE been implicated in bites at least as bad as sac spiders.

i am honestly confused by this thread. cuz normally when i am the safety police ppl thank me. now.... heck, i'm gonna laugh my macadamias off if sandy ever gets a surprise

Pssh

Arachnoknight
When I said "your mind" I didn't mean any specific person. And besides, "your" mind gives the words a tone. If you read it as rude, then your mind is choosing to make it sound that way (consciously or not and for whatever reason.)