Keeping wild spiders.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay. SO I decided to make a new thread so people would more or less know what Iam asking. I already got my question answered for the ID. But now my question is. What spiders from new jersey are possible to keep in captivity? I like spiders that do not hide/burrow. I rather look at it. Even if its not active.

Would you guys be able to provide pictures and actual places where I can physically find them? Can you find them at this time of year? If so how long would they live? Can you get them to breed so you can have an offspring so you can start from birth to death.?

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just keep a Parasteatoda tepidariorum or a Steatoda triangulosa the next time you find one. You won't have to worry about necrotoxic venomous bites and they stay out in the open

I can totally vouch for my S. triangulosa. She hangs upside down on a web thread all the time. And can they breed? Oh yes! Lol....10 sacs later I've got lots of babies to choose from to, as you say "have offspring from birth to death". ;)

Or just post us a pic of the next spider you find and we'll give you the lowdown.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just keep a Parasteatoda tepidariorum or a Steatoda triangulosa the next time you find one. You won't have to worry about necrotoxic venomous bites and they stay out in the open

I can totally vouch for my S. triangulosa. She hangs upside down on a web thread all the time. And can they breed? Oh yes! Lol....10 sacs later I've got lots of babies to choose from to, as you say "have offspring from birth to death". ;)

Or just post us a pic of the next spider you find and we'll give you the lowdown.
Wow I just went outside to my backyard. Flipped some rocks. First found a few centipedes, woodlouse/roleypoley and then I flipp my last rock and I found a spider! all insects were sluggish. I kept the spider. Its in a container. Ill take a picture soon.

Actually.... I can't take a picture because only cam I have is my moms. She wont lend it to me. but ill describe it. Its an inch long from eye view(not exact measurement) Its dark brown, and has a tan brown stripe running along from the head to the rump. I think it maybe a female. Since the rump is slighlty bigger than the head.

It looks exactly like this:
http://www.iknowaguypestcontrol.com/images/grass spider.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=1t:429,r:2,s:17&tx=95&ty=48&biw=1024&bih=566

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Wow I just went outside to my backyard. Flipped some rocks. First found a few centipedes, woodlouse/roleypoley and then I flipp my last rock and I found a spider! all insects were sluggish. I kept the spider. Its in a container. Ill take a picture soon.

Actually.... I can't take a picture because only cam I have is my moms. She wont lend it to me. but ill describe it. Its an inch long from eye view(not exact measurement) Its dark brown, and has a tan brown stripe running along from the head to the rump. I think it maybe a female. Since the rump is slighlty bigger than the head.

It looks exactly like this:
http://www.iknowaguypestcontrol.com/images/grass spider.jpg

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/insectid/images/id_full/grass-spider.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

http://www.dpughphoto.com/images/grass spider durham 42207.JPG

So i highly think its a high spider. It was hiding under some rock/gravel site.
It was hiding under something like this(but red) http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a07/8a/0e/design-small-backyard-gravel-800X800.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

true that, my triangulosa is a baby makiing MACHINE. dropped a sac, and dropped another one just recently before the first even hatched out. its absolutley ridiculous.

they are very cool to look at (and mine doesn't hide unless you count chilling directly under the lid of the vial sometimes), especially if you like how widows look, but don't want the potentially dangerous bite. i just wish they'd get bigger, but there are other steatoda that do i believe.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i would say it is more likely for a Steatoda to mess you up than a Cheiracanthum... they are widow cousins.

it cracks me up when ppl are piss scared of sac spiders and think all Steatoda are totally harmless.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mk so anyone got a caresheet for grass spiders? And I'm thinking of acquiring another different species later on. One that lives a bit older.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
grass spiders are really easy

to make sure you get the neatest web possible include a prebuilt hole and some structure for the spider to spin on. it'll probably ignore the prebuilt hole, but sometimes they do take to them. to see a full web with aerial trip lines you need a fairly tall tank with a lot of vertical elements to it, but that is not necessary. treat them like a dry arboreal tarantula spiderling, more or less. they need to eat a bit more often but smaller meals than an equivalent sized tarantula

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly, the best advice I can offer is, no matter what you keep, don't go too crazy on setup details, and resist the urge to overfeed. give your spiders a basic setup, don't rearrange it, and let them settle in.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
grass spiders are really easy

to make sure you get the neatest web possible include a prebuilt hole and some structure for the spider to spin on. it'll probably ignore the prebuilt hole, but sometimes they do take to them. to see a full web with aerial trip lines you need a fairly tall tank with a lot of vertical elements to it, but that is not necessary. treat them like a dry arboreal tarantula spiderling, more or less. they need to eat a bit more often but smaller meals than an equivalent sized tarantula
Uhh what do I feed em? Ima get some of the moss on one of my terrariums. ill use that as the substrait. Since you said they are arboreal.

I have large crickets, earthworms at home right now.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i would say it is more likely for a Steatoda to mess you up than a Cheiracanthum... they are widow cousins.

it cracks me up when ppl are piss scared of sac spiders and think all Steatoda are totally harmless.
Well yes Steatoda as a genus has some potentially dangerous venom, but not S. triangulosa. They're the most innocent of the bunch. :) Plus, all venom aside, Steatoda are slower than sac spiders and far easier to deal with in captivity. A person is not likely to easily get bitten by one. They're not challenging to keep from escaping like a sac spider would be.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, the best advice I can offer is, no matter what you keep, don't go too crazy on setup details, and resist the urge to overfeed. give your spiders a basic setup, don't rearrange it, and let them settle in.
Ehh Iam making it simple j ust to test it out.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yep. nope. still boggling me.

triangles almost certainly are not nearly as bad as grossa can be. but to totally dismiss them in the same thread you steer someone (assuming the necro ref is for Cheira's) away from spiders that, you know, lack the possiblity of human effective neurotoxins just seems... well, dumb.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

triangles almost certainly are not nearly as bad as grossa can be. but to totally dismiss them in the same thread you steer someone (assuming the necro ref is for Cheira's) away from spiders that, you know, lack the possiblity of human effective neurotoxins just seems... well, dumb.
Do spiders need a water dish?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
some do, some don't.

grass spider's really don't at all. just spray the cage every once in a while so that it doesn't totally dry out and they will get all the moisture they need from food

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

No the reference was to Parasteatoda tepidariorum or a Steatoda triangulosa not being necrotoxic (not comparing them to any spider in particular), just meaning they're a safe bet to keep, not comparing to the yellow sac spider, which is cytotoxic. I don't appreciate being called dumb, by the way. Sorry if my post didn't connect logically to you.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i didn't call you dumb, that would be against the rules. that was a dumb mistake of you to make ;)

ok, but they are neurotoxic. you know what, i give up. you don't win, i just give up. cheers

grayhound

Arachnosquire
I suggest a Phiddipus audax. I caught mine in my kitchen about 7 months ago. I built it a nice terrarium, and it thrives in there. It is gorgeous, roams around all of the time, and is a cricket hunting machine!!!! I THINK you can find them around there...... they're pretty prevalent all over the USA....

Pssh

Arachnoknight
I have some S. grossa if you want them. I've tons around the house. I dont think I've ever been bitten, though they are the only spiders I see in the house except daddy long legs spiders, so maybe. They aren't aggressive and would rather run (at least mine are like that.)

The woodlouse spiders like to burrow near the sides of the enclosure so you can pretty much always see them. :) It lets you get a nice close up look at their giant fangs that fold over.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And then greyhound's siggy says "Never give up!" Too funny.

Yellow sac spider's venom can cause destruction of skin cells, so yes it is cytotoxic. cyto=cell toxic=well we all know what that means. It can destroy skin cells. It can cause a necrosis of sorts.

Winners...losers...We're just posting to try and help people, it's not a contest.

And we all love those arachnids. :)

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suggest a Phiddipus audax. I caught mine in my kitchen about 7 months ago. I built it a nice terrarium, and it thrives in there. It is gorgeous, roams around all of the time, and is a cricket hunting machine!!!! I THINK you can find them around there...... they're pretty prevalent all over the USA....

YOU just made my effin day man. Iam sorry for the outburst now. But that there just made me giddy. That's exactly the type of spider Iam looking for. Active hunter(not a necessity, BUT a plus), voracious eater(preferance), and the look! Its so snappin' gorgeous!

I mean sure its small but still. One thing I gotta ask. I just set up the small enclosure for my grass spider its in a what I think is 3gallons. I cant even see it. . . It blends in with the dirt so well its hard to see and its hiding. D: it's an invisible pet....