Keeping Tunnel Web Spiders

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. I'm a newby owner of a Porrhothele Antipodiana, which is the closest spider New Zealand has to the Tarantula (illegal to have T's here).

I can barely find any specific information about keeping Black Tunnel-Webs, so any advice from owners would be hugely appreciated.

'Doloras' lives in a medium sized terrarium. Peat moss for substrate. I mist the walls and ground once a day, she's fed a cricket once a week (but would eat one a day if I let her ;).

Thanks heaps!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Sorry - I just realised I should have posted this in the 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' section. Is there any way of changing the location?

Last edited:

Violet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone. I'm a newby owner of a Porrhothele Antipodiana, which is the closest spider New Zealand has to the Tarantula (illegal to have T's here).

I can barely find any specific information about keeping Black Tunnel-Webs, so any advice from owners would be hugely appreciated.

'Doloras' lives in a medium sized terrarium. Peat moss for substrate. I mist the walls and ground once a day, she's fed a cricket once a week (but would eat one a day if I let her ;).

Thanks heaps!

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Sorry - I just realised I should have posted this in the 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' section. Is there any way of changing the location?

I have some experience with Banded Tunnel Web's Hexathele hochstetteri, sounds like you are on the right track husbandry wise. It's doubtful anyone was written anything about specific care for the species in question, but if you do find something please share :)

One recommendation I can give would be to vary the diet. Moths, Flies and Cockroaches should all be eagerly accepted.

And take some photos :)

chewbacca

Arachnopeon
I have some experience with Banded Tunnel Web's Hexathele hochstetteri, sounds like you are on the right track husbandry wise. It's doubtful anyone was written anything about specific care for the species in question, but if you do find something please share :)

One recommendation I can give would be to vary the diet. Moths, Flies and Cockroaches should all be eagerly accepted.

And take some photos :)
Thanks for the advice Violet! Much appreciated :)