Keeping Ts warm

Cecilia

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be leaving my home for 3 days and going an hour nd half away. I have 2 Ts a G. porteri, and T. albo. My home without heating on goes down to high 40s F. Is there any way I can keep them warm that's not a huge fire hazard? I can take them with me but that's a last resort as it would be stressful on them.

DonLouchese

Arachnosquire
Hi there,

To be fair the only way you can keep your T's warm is the same as you'd keep yourself warm. If you can't provide it , rather take them with you.

I know that I always keep radiators running even if I'm not home just because of them.

Regards, Don

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Oh my ahaha so many opinions idk knowing myself either I’d have someone care for them for me or more than likely since I don’t think anyone would care for them like I do I’d take them with me.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Could you put their enclosures into coolers? I'd think the spiders could survive in coolers for three days.

Edit: Maybe even leave the coolers under a pile of blankets or something.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Oh my ahaha so many opinions idk knowing myself either I’d have someone care for them for me or more than likely since I don’t think anyone would care for them like I do I’d take them with me.
Take them with you, you'll be a lot happier, and it won't stress the t's if they are in enclosures without things loose rolling around.
All things are pretty adaptable and accept change if done correctly.
They are far more resilient than we give them credit for.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You leave you’re heat on even if you leave it on 60-65 that will be fine

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Since you said you could take them with you, that is what I would do. I agree with darkness975 about leaving a heater on unattended. Me personally I would worry about leaving it on as well as how the tarantulas are doing.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I'm going to be leaving my home for 3 days and going an hour nd half away. I have 2 Ts a G. porteri, and T. albo. My home without heating on goes down to high 40s F. Is there any way I can keep them warm that's not a huge fire hazard? I can take them with me but that's a last resort as it would be stressful on them.
3 days is too long in my opinion. You could potentially get away with a day at that temperature—my g. porteri survived a power outage that brought overnight temps to high thirties F—but I don’t know that you want to gamble your t’s lives just to find out

cold blood

Staff member
Why not just set the thermostat to 70?
or at least 60

I wouldn't leave any heater running without me being home.
those radiator ones are very safe....I keep one on in my t room from october to early June....its on 24/7 Total non-issue

Could you put their enclosures into coolers? I'd think the spiders could survive in coolers for three days.

Edit: Maybe even leave the coolers under a pile of blankets or something.
Blankets will do absolutely nothing...blankets work for us because they retain our body heat, they dont create heat unless they are electric. A blanket alone will just be the same temp as the surrounding area, including the invert beneath it.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
or at least 60

those radiator ones are very safe....I keep one on in my t room from october to early June....its on 24/7 Total non-issue

Blankets will do absolutely nothing...blankets work for us because they retain our body heat, they dont create heat unless they are electric. A blanket alone will just be the same temp as the surrounding area, including the invert beneath it.
I was just thinking they could help insulate the coolers and slow down the heat loss.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
For some reason it didn't post my answer so here I go again xD

If you run a space heater and don't want it running 24/7 you can use a digital switch, so you can program when starts heating up and when it switches off. They are quite cheap like 10 bucks.

Other option could be heat mats, but always using a thermostat. How big it's your collection?

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
For some reason it didn't post my answer so here I go again xD

If you run a space heater and don't want it running 24/7 you can use a digital switch, so you can program when starts heating up and when it switches off. They are quite cheap like 10 bucks.

Other option could be heat mats, but always using a thermostat. How big it's your collection?
Space heaters aren’t that safe either if he has other animals and it get tipped over it’ll cause a fire.