Keeping super worms alive past feeding?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I got a few the spiders won’t seem to eat yet. And my biggest T won’t eat them , what’s best way to keep them from dying soon like they regularly do. And they eat each other??

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I got a few the spiders won’t seem to eat yet. And my biggest T won’t eat them , what’s best way to keep them from dying soon like they regularly do. And they eat each other??
Super worms will live for months if kept cool and FED.
That's probably the reason they are eating each other.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
wow most my Ts ate the trapped superworms.
Put them in a ventilated cup with oatmeal
Just oatmeal ?? Wow that’s simple what’s that weird stuff they’re always sold with called it’s not food ?is it trash..
$6.99 for 50 sure doesn’t look like 50.
Super worms will live for months if kept cool and FED.
That's probably the reason they are eating each other.
months wow !! Shame a few got away . Now I gotta check daily for if they become beetles .. dangerous. :sad:
spider probably won’t dig them up ehh ?

Last edited:

DerGraf

Arachnopeon
spider probably won’t dig them up ehh ?
Maybe if the worms decide to move around a lot. I wouldn't count on it though.
Since superworms and their beetle form can harm Tarantulas, if they're moltong, I would recommend getting the worms out of the enclosure.

Mealworms can be kept from pupating by putting them in low temps, in your fridge e.g.
Superworms afaik can't stand low temps as much as mealworms, so don't put them in a fridge. A cool room is enough already. They won't pupate for months when they're not alone (up to 5 afaik), so put your Supers together in a small enough box with some food and air holes.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Maybe if the worms decide to move around a lot. I wouldn't count on it though.
Since superworms and their beetle form can harm Tarantulas, if they're moltong, I would recommend getting the worms out of the enclosure.

Mealworms can be kept from pupating by putting them in low temps, in your fridge e.g.
Superworms afaik can't stand low temps as much as mealworms, so don't put them in a fridge. A cool room is enough already. They won't pupate for months when they're not alone (up to 5 afaik), so put your Supers together in a small enough box with some food and air holes.
I’ll try and remember which tanks they escaped in , wish ida kept track or pics .
I’ll see if it’s in pre molt but I doubt it they all just ate . How many months til a beetle hatches?? I may rehouse it just to be safe .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Put them in a ventilated cup with oatmeal
This ?
Toss the substrate stuff supers are sold with(whatever it is, is it useful for anything ??) and give them fresh oatmeal oats?
Do you mist them with water too?hydrate?
173075A9-6D98-4C76-9854-CD6D71B909EB.jpeg

Last edited:

DerGraf

Arachnopeon
I’ll see if it’s in pre molt but I doubt it they all just ate . How many months til a beetle hatches?? I may rehouse it just to be safe .
I can't tell you how long it will be until they start their pupation process, as it depends on how much they are already grown. The process takes about 3 weeks, so that's the minimum amount.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you have clear signs of pre-molt. Depending on your T's behaviour it's likely okay to simply wait until a beetle emerges, which you can remove, as most Ts close up their burrow when molting anyway. Take your Ts individual behaviour into account.
A little bit of digging should be fine, a whole rehouse means much more stress for your Ts.
The most important thing imho is to stay calm, keep an eye out and using your own judgement when necessary. Sadly, we can't give you a 100% perfect recommendation for such individual situations.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can't tell you how long it will be until they start their pupation process, as it depends on how much they are already grown. The process takes about 3 weeks, so that's the minimum amount.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you have clear signs of pre-molt. Depending on your T's behaviour it's likely okay to simply wait until a beetle emerges, which you can remove, as most Ts close up their burrow when molting anyway. Take your Ts individual behaviour into account.
A little bit of digging should be fine, a whole rehouse means much more stress for your Ts.
The most important thing imho is to stay calm, keep an eye out and using your own judgement when necessary. Sadly, we can't give you a 100% perfect recommendation for such individual situations.
Yeah I’ll not use Those thin holding cups again it didn’t work , luckily that spider is no we’re near a molt . Apple sauce cups work the best I’ve had zero escape from those . My biggest T just eats them off the ground . 10 gal seems big enough for a 7-8.5” T ℹ considered the 20 long but I don’t think it needs an upgrade.
Interesting

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The whole point is, to separate them, and keep them there till they pupate. Anything can be used if those conditions are met.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The whole point is, to separate them, and keep them there till they pupate. Anything can be used if those conditions are met.
Ahh I see so I can feed my Ts the pupae or beetle stage so they can’t burrow like annoying super worms ? although it says a certain percentage die instead of pupating .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You just have to make sure they are full grown size superworms. If you put small, not full grown ones, they’ll just starve and die.
Got more supers but lost that plastic tho so can’t pupae them .
Do you think an applesauce cup is tall enough supers can’t climb out?
Still not seen Beatles in the tanks Soopers previously escaped from.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Do you think an applesauce cup is tall enough supers can’t climb out?
They may or they may not. If it is sauce cup, then why not put the lid on as well, so you do not have to worry about escaping.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They may or they may not. If it is sauce cup, then why not put the lid on as well, so you do not have to worry about escaping.
They don’t have lids unless I make something to fit as one . I meant to use them for feeding the spider can grab the super out of the cup , but maybe I should try to pupae some these cups could work for that with a lid of some sort?
3C0C6E48-13FF-4199-BF78-F6559398EA45.jpeg 0047013B-7FF4-4A5E-994F-17C85271B8DE.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Ah, that apple sauce cup… Hmm, I would not use that one.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ah, that apple sauce cup… Hmm, I would not use that one.
Dang it worked for feeding this T; the supers weren’t given much substrate or anything… I gotta fix it or add more ? I don’t have any saved I always toss it . 7D6B564A-C76E-4FC0-9CC3-7E83BA778827.jpeg 6A681C7E-E9A9-4FAE-B9BB-FE5FE167DF73.jpeg F6DDCB8F-F884-4E0D-A61D-33700349B8AC.jpeg