Keeping solfugids

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that a lot of keepers have had a great deal of issues trying to keep them alive for any length of time within captivity. What exactly are the issues that are come across, or the thinking of said issues as to why there are so many problems?

I was thinking ventilation/heat/space was the problem. I had this idea of modifying a food dehydrator into a lid to provide ventilation and heat, then modifying a plexiglass enclosure to provide space. Worth a try or failure in the works?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
there's a TON of great info about this subject in the sticky at the top of the page. a lot of discussion about this stuff. cruise through there a bit, and if you still have some specific questions, throw 'em up here and we'll see what we can do! :D

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know that a lot of keepers have had a great deal of issues trying to keep them alive for any length of time within captivity. What exactly are the issues that are come across, or the thinking of said issues as to why there are so many problems?

I was thinking ventilation/heat/space was the problem. I had this idea of modifying a food dehydrator into a lid to provide ventilation and heat, then modifying a plexiglass enclosure to provide space. Worth a try or failure in the works?
The issues that keepers have come across are that solifugids are not long-lived arachnids period. It has nothing to do with trouble providing captive conditions. A 1 to 1 1/2 year lifespan is standard.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay :)

Its pretty bad on these forums when people feel the need to be rude and troll for no obvious reasons. Its always nice to get educated instead of insulted.

delherbe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

I`m not rude. Just cinical.

I`ve read your topic about the "big mystery thing in prgress" without any further information. Thats make me a bit like :rolleyes:.

Thats the intention. In for a penny, in for a pound.

:cool:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I`m not rude. Just cinical.

I`ve read your topic about the "big mystery thing in prgress" without any further information. Thats make me a bit like :rolleyes:.

Thats the intention. In for a penny, in for a pound.

:cool:
Yea okay, well some would interpret your response as being rude, but then again it is hard to determine emotion through what people write on here at times.

I did provide further information on the project that I am working on. The reasoning for not providing information was because I had not completely figured out how I was going to carry out my idea, let alone figured out all the odds and ends.

I have two kids, work full time, and go to school full time, so sometimes my ideas take a little longer to materialize. Its amazing when I get an idea that I can entertain myself with and daydream about, because mostly my mind is cluttered with work, work, work, take care of kids, study.

I am excited about the idea, I knew I wanted to do some kind of enclosure soon, something unique. The first idea was to somehow transform a food dehydrator top as to provide heat/ventilation into the top of an enclosure, which I thought might be cool to try with a solfugid, but I am not even going to bother with that.

As for the other idea it will materialize when I get the prints, electrical/LED's, and such figured out, as well as the funds. It should be interesting having a living picture frame full of Argiope sp.

Cheers