Keeping Pamphobeteus sp Flammifera

Cornex

Arachnopeon
Hi folks,
my P. sp Flammiera sling is getting big enough for a real enclousure, but i dont know a lot about this T. Like hows humidity, how deep is substrate? Links would be nice too.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big is the spider? Is it a juvenile? I dunno the size. If it is a small juvenile, keep it in a 7×7×6 inch container with 3-4 inch moist subtrate and a piece of corkbark or something like that. It is hard to give advise based on your post. But dont give it an oversized enclosure

Cornex

Arachnopeon
It was the 4th molt, its like 2 cm (not even an inch) so i guess the container you said would be to big.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, thats what i meant with more info. For a two inch (is it legspan?)use somehing like a delucup with 8 cm diameter

Cornex

Arachnopeon
No its without legs. Thx for your help. I mean I know how you basicly built a setup, I was just not shure aboute humidity.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My though was in cm. 2 inch legspan, 8 cm delicup is too small. And you say it is 2 inch body lenght, then the measurments in my initial post is more ok!
About humidety, just keep it on moist substrate

Inverts of the Valley

Arachnopeon
Howdy, from what I've seen and personally experienced, Pamphobeteus generally benefit from higher humidity and plenty of leg room. I've yet to see them burrow so I wouldn't worry about substrate depth.

boina

Lady of the mites
Don't bother with "humidity" - it's a term from the reptile world. All Pamphos like their substrate a little moist, but moisture in the air (i.e. humidity) is irrelevant. Don't even measure it - no matter what those utterly backward German forums say. They also grow fast and deal well with a lot of space, so unless you want to rehouse constantly put it into something bigger - a medium critter keeper (Faunabox/Faunarium) will do well, or anything of a similar size.

You won't get links from me - all those pages on the web about spider keeping are either outdated or have never been right to begin with. Everybody can post on the internet and most of it is nonsense. At least around here if you post nonsense you get called out for it, so the information is usually pretty solid.

Cornex

Arachnopeon
Thx for your information.

Don't bother with "humidity" - it's a term from the reptile world. All Pamphos like their substrate a little moist, but moisture in the air (i.e. humidity) is irrelevant. Don't even measure it - no matter what those utterly backward German forums say.
You won't get links from me - all those pages on the web about spider keeping are either outdated or have never been right to begin with. Everybody can post on the internet and most of it is nonsense. At least around here if you post nonsense you get called out for it, so the information is usually pretty solid.
Well I guess if the substrate is moist, ther will be some kind of humidity.
Humidity is pretty important if you try to breed for example. Idk why other forums should be "backward" but never mind.

And if you dont want to send me Links, donst do it. I can figure out what kind of Information is serious or not thx.

cold blood

Staff member
Humidity is pretty important if you try to breed for example. Idk why other forums should be "backward" but never mind.
No its not....literally ignore the term humidity....the only time humidity is relevant is if you are building an incubator for an egg sac....not even for breeding.

Other forums, pet stores, care sheets and most of whats on the net is simply woefully outdated material...like the kind of stuff stressed in the 1980s....we have come a long way since then and have a much better understanding of t husbandry....unfortunately that old drivel cant just be erased from the internet, so it keeps being perpetuated over and over as google continually leads new keepers right down the wrong path.

I am a regular breeder of many species of ts, and the term humidity is non existent in my house aside from posts like this constantly made to discourage use of the term.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well I guess if the substrate is moist, ther will be some kind of humidity.
The term "humidity" leads to a lot of misunderstanding. Yes, moist substrate leads to a more humid micro- environment directly above this substrate, but measuring humidity in the air leads to over-moistening and, most detrimentally, restriction of air flow. The problem with moisture is, that it breads bacteria, and yes, even spiders are succeptible to bacterial infections. Measuring humidity and then overmoistening, or constantly spraying, or anything the like, and restricting air flow seems to be responsible for most "unexpected" spider deaths.

Unfortunately, Germon forums seem to be pretty resistant to new ideas and cling to outdated "science". Insisting that spiders "need to be kept as close to natural conditions as possible" is the number one fallacy out there and leads to the above mentioned humidity problems and other similar related problems. It KILLS spiders, the same way as it kills other animals if you try it. Nature is a complex mixture of not only temps and humidity, but also micro-flora and -fauna, that's not replicable in captivity. Resource and predation pressure lead to species living in suboptimal conditions in nature - "adaptation" means they can survive where they live, not that it's optimal. You have to figure out which parameters are really important and which are even detrimental to your spiders wellbeing in captivity - and nature won't tell you that. Otherwise you are keeping your spider in less than suboptimal conditions, because you can't replicate all the factors that are really necessary to make these condtions survivable for the individual.

Best example are Avics that do so much better if kept dry in captivity, even though they come from a high humidity environment. I have yet to meet a German that will acknowledge that simple fact and who isn't on this forum.

I can figure out what kind of Information is serious or not thx
Without serious background knowledge in ecology and animal keeping it's pretty impossible. There's just too much endlessly regurgitated, pseudoscientific nonsense out there.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Nature is a complex mixture of not only temps and humidity, but also micro-flora and -fauna, that's not replicable in captivity. Resource and predation pressure lead to species living in suboptimal conditions in nature - "adaptation" means they can survive where they live, not that it's optimal.
Not to mention that survival rates in nature are abysmal. To put it another way, just because certain conditions happen to exist where a species lives in the wild does not mean they are optimal or even required for survival.

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I do love when the word "humidity" is shot down in flames, just as it deserves to be. :)

I have a 5cm leg span pampho in a medium exo terra faunarium with 7cm ish of substrate. Should be good for a moult or two, but they do grow fast. I keep it slightly damper than a typical terrestrial, but not much more TBH - nowhere near as damp as a t.blondi or other moisture dependant T. It doesn't prefer the wet or dry side, and is quite the little wanderer and an excellent hunter/eater - because of this going slightly bigger on the enclosure wouldn't hurt IMO.