Keeping on a budget?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure how often this topic gets brought up, but then again I mostly lurk in the Scorpion forum...

I've been wanting to expand my hobby over to T's for a long time, but it just hasn't happened yet, usually because I have to decide between paying a bill or buying a T.

I generally keep scorpions with no issue, because for the most part, they tend to go for cheaper, housing is generally a lot simpler, and I raise my own feeders. I don't think I've actually had to buy anything for those guys in months.

So my question is, for the budget keepers out there, how do you do it?
Housing and even the animals themselves can get really pricey at times, so what tips and tricks do you have to give?

basin79

ArachnoGod
T's aren't bothered whether they're housed in exo terra, custom enclosures or RUBs as long as their needs are met. Obviously in a RUB you don't get to view your T as well but that's it.

I use RUBs for some of my T's, pedes, spiders...........

So that's a very easy way to cut costs.

Buying T's off here or other classifieds usually works out a lot cheaper than buying them from a shop.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
-Use cheap plastic enclosures (vials, deli cups, plastic shoeboxes, etc.) They may not look as nice as glass or acrylic, but they work just as well.

-Don't bother buying tons of decorations to put in the enclosure. The T doesn't care. Hide and water dish are all it needs (for terrestrial species, anyway.)

-Buy slings...they do require a little more care than the adults do, but adults of many species (especially females) are prohibitively expensive for a lot of folks.

-Always shop around. Example: this weekend, I've seen B. vagans slings going for as low as $5 and as high as $40. I'd rather pay $5, personally.

-Go to reptile expos when possible (this eliminates the $40-$50 shipping of most online breeders.)

-If you do use an online breeder, try to buy multiple slings at a time so you're not spending a lot on shipping individual Ts. Also, you may want to ask for 2nd day shipping and waive the LAG if the temps are comfortable.

-When your male Ts mature, consider trading them for more Ts with a breeder. It's not going to live much longer anyway, and you are at least giving him a chance to be a daddy. It helps the hobby keep going, too. More abundant and lower-priced Ts.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So my question is, for the budget keepers out there, how do you do it?
Enclosure: Really Useful Boxes (I modify mine with an acrylic top for easy viewing), usually around $10
Hide: Broken terra cotta pot, under $1
Water dish: 2oz souffle cups, a sleeve of 200 for $5

... and that's it for a terrestrial. Then it's just the cost of the spider.

user 666

Arachnobaron
-Use cheap plastic enclosures (vials, deli cups, plastic shoeboxes, etc.) They may not look as nice as glass or acrylic, but they work just as well.
And for older/larger Ts, keep checking Craiglist for cheap aquariums.

If you set a price limit of, say, $20, you can get a wide variety of slings cheap. They will b young and small, but that's part of the fun.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you set a price limit of, say, $20, you can get a wide variety of slings cheap.
I've certainly thought about that. But I have a paranoia about it as well. I suppose I can try, I manage scorpions slings fairly okay.

user 666

Arachnobaron
What about for Arboreal species?
You can keep arboreal slings in quart deli cups.

When they outgrow the deli cups, you will need to put them in their adult housing. (or at least that's what I am doing)

basin79

ArachnoGod
For my arboreals I use the tall exo terras. I like the fact I can access them through the top or front.

I do keep my female Heteropoda lunula (huntsman) in a RUB turned on it's side. Works but it would be easier in an exo.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I've certainly thought about that. But I have a paranoia about it as well. I suppose I can try, I manage scorpions slings fairly okay.
I might be misusing the word "sling". I am thinking of Ts as much as 1" in size. I can usually find at least some T species in my price range.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Closest expo that happens around here is a 4 hour drive... x.x
If the round trip costs more than the shipping (plus all your effort in driving so far) it doesn't make much sense. But for some folks, it's doable. I live about 2 hours from a show (and drive a hybrid car) so for me, the trip is worth it.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the round trip costs more than the shipping (plus all your effort in driving so far) it doesn't make much sense. But for some folks, it's doable. I live about 2 hours from a show (and drive a hybrid car) so for me, the trip is worth it.
I drive a big dodge ram that gets 12mpg, so I don't think its smart for me XD

cold blood

Staff member
I generally keep scorpions with no issue, because for the most part, they tend to go for cheaper, housing is generally a lot simpler, and I raise my own feeders. I don't think I've actually had to buy anything for those guys in months.
Ts are absolutely no differrent...the cheapest housing is often the best home for the t in fact, as many expensive enclosures are best for keeper visibility and dont offer a single advantage from the ts perspective.

Sterilite is your friend...housing costs between $1 and $8....and takes about 60 seconds to ventilate with a drill.

On top of that, i use only driftwood i find on lakeshores and use top soil for my sub...which costs $1.37 for a 40lb. bag.

The other thing you already do, and thats raising your own feeders....prior to setting up a dubia colony i was spending $40 per month on feeder from the LPS.

same...deeper sterilite tubs are fantastic for arbpreals....all my arboreals are in sterilite.

Closest expo that happens around here is a 4 hour drive... x.x
expos are not always your best option for cheapness...buying directly from breeders is...they will offer tbe best prices and be far more generous with freebies....shop the classifieds, buy good deals and buy during ideal conditions so you can utilize cheaper 2 day shipping.
For my arboreals I use the tall exo terras. I like the fact I can access them through the top or front.
hes looking for cheap...exo terras are, IMO, crazy expensive....lets see, i could have one single t in an exo terra, or for essentially the same cost have 5-8 ts, all housed in sterilite.

I drive a big dodge ram that gets 12mpg, so I don't think its smart for me XD
ouch..that one is on you...for someone on a budget and pinching pennies a gas guzzling ram might be the poorest choice of a vehicle....especially when the tranny starts to go.:rofl:

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ouch..that one is on you...for someone on a budget and pinching pennies a gas guzzling ram might be the poorest choice of a vehicle....especially when the tranny starts to go.:rofl:
Ha. I work less than a mile away and have no life, so 99% of the time, its no big deal. But driving 4 hours makes a difference x3 Still better than a Ford.

cold blood

Staff member
Ha. I work less than a mile away and have no life, so 99% of the time, its no big deal. But driving 4 hours makes a difference x3 Still better than a Ford.
youre talking to someone with an 85 f 150...never a single major issue 300+k later.:p

Still, Toyota's actually where its at nowadays. Being a tournament fisherman, im around a ton of trucks logging massive miles pulling big boats....driving a tundra is akin to a Lexus from a driving and quality standpoint...even with a 3500lb boat in tow.:smug:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Once you get the idea of what kind of size works in your head you tend to see possible enclosures in everyday items. Something like this is the ultimate budget keeping option, the container is like 5 bucks at walmart.. now i'm not the biggest fan of cheeseballs so I and up taking large amounts into work but 5 dollar enclosures are always good.. if you like cheeseballs its even better.

TarantulaCollective

the_tarantula_collective
I have nearly 65 tarantulas, so keeping Ts on a budget is critical. I get my juvenile enclosures from amazon.com. They have acrylic action figure boxes as an add on item for $5. I can get the 2" aluminum vents for $1 a piece with a quick Google search. I have a lot of exo terra enclosures (I love them for arboreals) but I have only paid retail once. I search facebook marketplace, letgo, Craigslist and yardsales and find people getting rid of $50-100 terrariums for less than $10...and i always try to talk them down lower. I keep an eye out for things I could easily retro fit for sling enclosures (pill bottles, candy boxes, anything made of plastic or acrylic that can close and be secured). I have made friends with reptile enthusiasts in my area that keep their own feeder colonies. They always seem to have a lot more feeders than they need. With a little friendliness and charm I've made arrangements to get all the feeders I need from them for $5 a week...sometimes they just give them to me at no charge. I only buy slings (Almost always....i have purchased a few females sub adults when i found a nice deal) and i wait for sales. Keep an eye out, because Jamie's tarantulas had an awesome black Friday sale last November and fear not tarantulas occasionally offers some slings 40-60% off. I have also found subscribing to national pet store newsletters has helped. They send emails for online sales and 40% off coupons and free shipping upgrades.
I am not a rich man, but i have a nice collection...displayed beautifully. If I spent a fortune my wife would try to shut it down really quick. But by shopping around and spending the time and exercising patience I find great deals to keep things well below budget. From Ts to the shelves their enclosures are on and everything in between. I have found that a dremmel, hot glue gun, and a little hard work have saved me a fortune. I make nearly everything from decorations, hides, doors, enclosures and backdrops. I find creating the enclosure almost as much fun as caring for the tarantulas. Utilize the diy videos on YouTube and you will find all sorts of money saving ideas. I spend more $$$ caring for one dog a year (vet, food, grooming, board) than I do on 65 tarantulas. A little hard work and imagination will save you hundreds of dollars.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ts are absolutely no differrent...the cheapest housing is often the best home for the t in fact, as many expensive enclosures are best for keeper visibility and dont offer a single advantage from the ts perspective.

Sterilite is your friend...housing costs between $1 and $8....and takes about 60 seconds to ventilate with a drill.

On top of that, i use only driftwood i find on lakeshores and use top soil for my sub...which costs $1.37 for a 40lb. bag.

The other thing you already do, and thats raising your own feeders....prior to setting up a dubia colony i was spending $40 per month on feeder from the LPS.

same...deeper sterilite tubs are fantastic for arbpreals....all my arboreals are in sterilite.

expos are not always your best option for cheapness...buying directly from breeders is...they will offer tbe best prices and be far more generous with freebies....shop the classifieds, buy good deals and buy during ideal conditions so you can utilize cheaper 2 day shipping.
hes looking for cheap...exo terras are, IMO, crazy expensive....lets see, i could have one single t in an exo terra, or for essentially the same cost have 5-8 ts, all housed in sterilite.

I know he is. He asked me what about arboreals. I answered that I keep mine in exo's as I like the 2 access points. What do you want me to do, lie and say I use RUBs?