Keeping isopods in warm countries

Shann31

Arachnopeon
Those of you who live in places where the room temperature is in the low 80s/ 27 to 28 Celsius, do you ever need to cool down your isopod cultures? I've had my P. Laevis for a few months now at those temps and they are growing well, but I'm unsure how those conditions would affect the other Porcellio and Armadillidium species. Thoughts?

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
P. Laevis love warmer temps. Not sure of other species being able to handle hot temps. What species do you mean? If it gets any warmer, turn on a fan or ac.

Shann31

Arachnopeon
P. Laevis love warmer temps. Not sure of other species being able to handle hot temps. What species do you mean? If it gets any warmer, turn on a fan or ac.
Ah okay that is reassuring. For other species I'm thinking of A. gestroi or klugii or maybe the larger Porcellio like sevilla or haasi. In terms of lowering temperatures, I live in an apartment complex so they won't have AC access during the daytime if I leave. I might be able to get a fan going though

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I think if you look on for sale isopods on underground reptiles, I think they have a temperature range for the species they have. From what I’m aware, most isopods need 60 degrees to 80 degrees

Polenth

Arachnobaron
The ones that you've mentioned are from warmer areas. That doesn't guarantee that they'll cope with higher temperatures, but woodlice in general don't tend to be that picky.

Shann31

Arachnopeon
The ones that you've mentioned are from warmer areas. That doesn't guarantee that they'll cope with higher temperatures, but woodlice in general don't tend to be that picky.
Yeah that's probably true. I've spoken to another keeper in my country who has P. hoffmannseggi at those temps and they are doing good so far

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
My apartment has temperatures around 24 - 26ºC in winter, and 28 - 32ºC in the summer. I have several Armadillidium species that seem to be handling it fine so far as well, though some of them have not been with me over a summer yet.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I've had problems with cultures overheating but it's usually fixable by moving cultures to a lower part of the room (i.e down the rack a few shelves).

@Shann31, you also live in a country known for it's great isopod diversity, so I'm guessing the temperatures should be fine for a lot of species, Armadillidae sp. at the very least anyway.

Thanks,

Arthroverts