keeping gloworms

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You know what would be cool to keep? Those glowworms that live in caves and make the mucusy threadline traps and glow blue to catch prey! :D I think they were featured on that one cave episode of planet earth. Only problem (besides that they are from new zealand and endangered or threatened I think) is that they can't tolerate breezes and disturbances. Still, keeping any kind of bioluminescent organism would be cool beans though {D

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ahhh, looked it up again, they're in the genus Arachnocampa meaning "spider-grub". And apparently there ARE some in other places besides new zealand, exisiting in small numbers. Probably the adults could have stowed away on ships and the like and gone to other areas.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are some glow worms in the US too. I've only seen pictures of them but there's a cool pink one called microphotus angustus. I would love to keep some of those one day if I can ever find them :)

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are some glow worms in the US too. I've only seen pictures of them but there's a cool pink one called microphotus angustus. I would love to keep some of those one day if I can ever find them :)
Cool are their lights pink or the animals themselves?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen some really small green ones in a cave near my house once. I was there recently however and they are all gone I suppose. I didn't see any. Just a few bats and that was about it. They are cool but they are really small. Maybe 3/8" or so.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just think it would be cool to set up like a verticle enclosure with some fake rock faces to resemble the inside of a cave, and then have a black sheet over 3 sides of it or something to keep it dark and have them in there. Would be awesome!

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The NZ ones are, as far as I am aware, HIGHLY protected by the Ministry of Conservation, and you would have an impossible job getting your hands on them.