keeping crickets and smell

thesilence

Arachnopeon
Is it okay to keep a bin of 1000 crickets in the bedroom? I cannot place the cricket bin elsewhere at the moment due to my family having "issues" with insects:wall: . I know that I need good ventilation to keep the crickets thriving. However, I do wish to keep the odor down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Best way to keep the oder down is to feed as fast as possible

nomadofthehills

Arachnopeon
I work at a petstore, and to keep our bins less smelly, we clean them twice a day. This consists of removing feces, dead crickets, and molts.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Best solution is to start raising your own roaches. Crickets are loud and smelly.

thesilence

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the suggestions :). Bahh hmm i guess I'll start raising a colony of blaptica dubia instead -_-. Meanwhile I'll just wait for these crickets to die off. How much less odor do B. Dubias give off in comparison with crickets?

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
had the same trouble with mine. most of the smell is water beleive it or not. the manager at the pet store here told me to start useing cricket quincher instead of water and the smell will go away.that and feed them dry oatmeal. i was a little doubtfull that it would work but i tried it and they have very little smell now compared to what it was. i only clean the cage about every 2-3 weeks. before i could clean it and the next day it stunk.
give it a try, im sure you will notice a very big change.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There will always be some kind of smell with crickets. Unfortunatly just the way it goes. Roaches do smell less, but I have never seen like a thousand of them together to compare too. I also try to feed them out as soon as I can. But I again deal with more than 1000 crickets at a time. Just a few more T 's and geckos to feed. Also it seems that they do live longer if you feed them the water cubes with the food already in it. I mix up my own mixture of food for them and they seem to like it. Crickets are not my favorite but I dislike roaches way more.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the suggestions :). Bahh hmm i guess I'll start raising a colony of blaptica dubia instead -_-. Meanwhile I'll just wait for these crickets to die off. How much less odor do B. Dubias give off in comparison with crickets?
Almost none in comparrison. If you stir up the whole colony, they make a very faint smell as a defense, but its much better than 1000 cricket farts.

thesilence

Arachnopeon
I have 5 p. murinus slings and a bearded dragon. I just dont want to make so many runs to the petshop, gets tiresome. Would a colony of 50 small B. dubia nymphs (+ 1 pair adults) support the 5 slings and breed fast enough?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When you get a setup right with dubia things will multiple quickly. I have 200 adults or so and they have been cranking out babies like no tomorrow. Which is perfect I just sex out the females and feed some of the inmature males to the slings.
50 is a decent start, id go with 100 just to make sure you dont have to buy them again any time soon. You want some of the babies to make it to adulthood.