Keepers Opinions on Hapalopus sp.columbia large

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So after keeping these guys for about two months maybe longer now, I can't say that I'm all that impressed.. Unfortunately I'm getting the feeling that this is one of those species that I love in photos but not in my collection...

Now granted these are still 1/2 - 3/4 inch "slings" but nothing about them is jumping out and grabbing my attention..
One has built a haphazard web and is constantly visible and the other has taken to burrowing..The one that hasn't burrowed is noticeably more skittish is growing very fast and has a great appetite.
The burrower feeds just fine but not as frequent and has less growth in between molts. Interestingly enough both molt within a week or so of one another..

Unfortunately that's really all I can say about these guys.. To me they are kind of just Meh.. I already traded one off to my Nephew Dreamhaze for the most picky reclusive Avic I have ever seen ( her quirks make me love her though)..

So now I'm down to two H.sp columbia and I'm trying to decide whether to sell/trade them or raise them up with the hopes that they develop more character as they age..

So for you guys that have raised this sp. or keep subs or adults what are your thoughts and opinions about them?

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
This is how I feel about most slings, to be honest. Almost all of them burrow. I have slings I haven't seen in months! O. sp. "Hati Hati" and H. himalayana come to mind.

I say give it some time. Mine is just a speck with legs right now but it's a beautiful little speck so that's good enough for me.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
This is how I feel about most slings, to be honest. Almost all of them burrow. I have slings I haven't seen in months! O. sp. "Hati Hati" and H. himalayana come to mind.

I say give it some time. Mine is just a speck with legs right now but it's a beautiful little speck so that's good enough for me.
It's not the burrowing infact I love O/Bs... I also know to expect slings to act very different than adults.. I honestly don't know why I don't love these Ts as much as I thought I would..
I love the color and pattern and something is telling me I'll regret giving them the boot.. I think I posted this thread with hope that somone would post something that persuades me to keep them Lol!

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
H. himalayana come to mind
i have one of these that ive raised form a 2nd instar and is now about 4" or so, ive only seen her very recently, before that i hadnt seen her for over 6 months

Bugmom

Arachnolord
i have one of these that ive raised form a 2nd instar and is now about 4" or so, ive only seen her very recently, before that i hadnt seen her for over 6 months
:eek::(:hurting:

Too bad we can't set tarantulas up like ant farms so that we can actually see them :rolleyes:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
:eek::(:hurting:

Too bad we can't set tarantulas up like ant farms so that we can actually see them :rolleyes:
right? sometimes i set up enclosures for my burrowers such that it promotes burrowing against the side of the enclosure, but this specimen is a pro at hiding so she burrowed the opposite direction. Really Really beautiful species, its a shame they are so reclusive.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two females I raised from tiny slings. Personally, I love them. Mine have plenty of attitude, and as slings they would wrestle down prey almost the same size as themselves. Both have webbed the heck out of their enclosures, but they are usually sitting right out in the open (which is great, because I love the look of them). I actually have to rehouse both this weekend, which should be an adventure!

Personally, I don't judge species as slings as they are just too similar at that age. They eat, the burrow, they often hide. I want to see what they do as adults. :)

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I have both a small and a large. Both adult or very near adult, I rarely see them. :shifty: A flash of pretty orange abdomen when they grab their food (and they are good eaters) then straight back into the maze of Web they have throughout their enclosure.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I bought a female and two small slings. I haven't see any of them since the day I received them.

I know they are alive because of food disappearance and occasional small web changes in the enclosure for the slings. The female never does any webbing outside of the hide.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I must disappoint you friend, i got both H. sp. large and small. Grown from tiny slings to adult. Not a single one of them makes their way out to say hi. ( well at least not when i look ) :D

They burrow and just stay there, waiting for foods. The only time i can get a glimpse of them is very very early in the morning. :wideyed: Very sad because it is such a beautiful T.. <3 :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So after keeping these guys for about two months maybe longer now, I can't say that I'm all that impressed.. Unfortunately I'm getting the feeling that this is one of those species that I love in photos but not in my collection...

Now granted these are still 1/2 - 3/4 inch "slings" but nothing about them is jumping out and grabbing my attention..
One has built a haphazard web and is constantly visible and the other has taken to burrowing..The one that hasn't burrowed is noticeably more skittish is growing very fast and has a great appetite.
The burrower feeds just fine but not as frequent and has less growth in between molts. Interestingly enough both molt within a week or so of one another..

Unfortunately that's really all I can say about these guys.. To me they are kind of just Meh.. I already traded one off to my Nephew Dreamhaze for the most picky reclusive Avic I have ever seen ( her quirks make me love her though)..

So now I'm down to two H.sp columbia and I'm trying to decide whether to sell/trade them or raise them up with the hopes that they develop more character as they age..

So for you guys that have raised this sp. or keep subs or adults what are your thoughts and opinions about them?
You might have some "bad" seeds my friend hah. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you a few things having owned these a bit.

As you know they have adult colors from day 1 basically. I've always loved that myself! No wondering what the male or female will look like.

All the ones I have owned, even the the "small/Klein" as well, are truly the most aggressive attackers in the NW. As I've said in other past posts, pound for pound, they put all the other NW Ts to shame. I thought a GBB was an amazing attacker, she looks like a pussy cat compared to this species. Every crix I put in there these guys are on them. They will tackle them, roll around, even upside down like no other NW T I've seen or owned, even many OW Ts too are put to shame.

What's more is all of mine readily take on prey much larger than any of my NW or OW Ts will do. Something that I haven't figured out, and likely never will. I've always speculated that perhaps in their locality food is not plentiful, they can't afford to be light on the offense, given their faster metabolism/growth rate than a Brachy.

I have this little one I'm raising up, it was only about 1/16th" DLS, and it would take on these pinheads that were larger, far larger than I'd expect. Now that's it about 3/16" DLS the ferocity and the size of cricket it will eat is truly mind boggling. It only gets better as they grow older IME.

I can't say yours will do that. But I wouldn't give up so readily, esp because even females are fast growers, at least mine was. You'll be able to see changes if any in months not decades, after all it's not a Brachy ;)

Just my 2cents

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
My female is always out :D She and my C. fimbriatus are my most frequent molt-ers so far! She also has a GREAT feeding response, sometimes she will "stalk" her superworm, or sometimes she will grab it and do some rolls to conquer that nasty super! She is also great for photos, pretty much every time I feed her I get a good shot to upload to tumblr, lol

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Is it possible that moisture levels can affect their activity? How much moisture does everyone else add to the substrate? I am moistening one end and then I let it dry, but the hide is on the other end so ......

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Is it possible that moisture levels can affect their activity? How much moisture does everyone else add to the substrate? I am moistening one end and then I let it dry, but the hide is on the other end so ......
I used to keep mine very humid, and now that I think about it, I felt the same as 14pokies did for quite awhile. Then I heard from a dear friend how she keeps her adult dry with nothing but a small waterdish, so I stopped wetting the substrate, and I feel like my female H. sp colombia has grown a lot faster and been less skittish since.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

I've had one H. sp. "Columbia large" sling for many months now and I enjoy its boldness and unique web/maze/burrow! :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't give up so readily, esp because even females are fast growers, at least mine was. You'll be able to see changes if any in months not decades, after all it's not a Brachy ;)

I think I'm possibly expecting a little too much from slings in this case and like you said in the next year or so I will have a better idea what to expect from them as adults..
I've had one H. sp. "Columbia large" sling for many months now and I enjoy its boldness and unique web/maze/burrow! :)
Mine are not bold in any way! I can remove the lid with full confidence that they will either not react or slowly stroll around there enclosures.. I'm hopeing with some age this will change!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine are not bold in any way! I can remove the lid with full confidence that they will either not react or slowly stroll around there enclosures.. I'm hopeing with some age this will change!
I'm not worried about mine leaving the container, that's a rare event in my care. Maybe one attempted escape in about a decade for this species.

The fact yours slowly stroll down makes me go o_O, mine don't race around like N incei may do, but perhaps you have some E. sp. Red genes in those haha j/k.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm not worried about mine leaving the container, that's a rare event in my care. Maybe one attempted escape in about a decade for this species.

The fact yours slowly stroll down makes me go o_O, mine don't race around like N incei may do, but perhaps you have some E. sp. Red genes in those haha j/k.
Yup they are some of the calmest species I own.. Maybe it's the soothing vibes I give off:headphone:...

I'm also thinking that I possibly over feed them and it contributes to there less than spectacular feeding response. The one that I traded off to my Nephew did hit a cricket so hard the back legs popped off and then scattered the pieces around :vamp: but that was when I first got them..

I may slow down on the feedings to maybe 2x a week and see if it helps..I feed all my slings 4-5x a week ..

I'm also considering housing them in larger enclosures.. They are in 4oz condiment cups.. I'm probably going to bump them up to 16oz pretty soon..

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Guess they all are a bit different.

I'm not keeping T's anymore, but the one i was looking after was annoying lol. Would always try and run out whenever i opened the lid. Maybe because it was a mature male? As it was never hiding, always walking about and ready to make a run for it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Guess they all are a bit different.

Would always try and run out whenever i opened the lid. Maybe because it was a mature male?
Man he was trying to mate with you and you crushed his little heart.. Your a monster! Lol