Keepers Opinions on Hapalopus sp.columbia large

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm also thinking that I possibly over feed them and it contributes to there less than spectacular feeding response
This is true for all Ts I've owned. The fatter they get, the less interested, just like humans usually.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
i have one of these that ive raised form a 2nd instar and is now about 4" or so, ive only seen her very recently, before that i hadnt seen her for over 6 months
That's pretty interesting.. Did she burrow/ hide under a slab of bark or was she hiding in a ton of web?

*edit* never mind I didn't realise you were talking about a different species..

Last edited:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
All the ones I have owned, even the the "small/Klein" as well, are truly the most aggressive attackers in the NW. As I've said in other past posts, pound for pound, they put all the other NW Ts to shame. I thought a GBB was an amazing attacker, she looks like a pussy cat compared to this species. Every crix I put in there these guys are on them. They will tackle them, roll around, even upside down like no other NW T I've seen or owned, even many OW Ts too are put to shame.

What's more is all of mine readily take on prey much larger than any of my NW or OW Ts will do. Something that I haven't figured out, and likely never will. I've always speculated that perhaps in their locality food is not plentiful, they can't afford to be light on the offense, given their faster metabolism/growth rate than a Brachy.
Seriously. I love watching Speck eat. It's so small but doesn't care, whatever I drop in there is going to get annihilated.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Seriously. I love watching Speck eat. It's so small but doesn't care, whatever I drop in there is going to get annihilated.
Well thats great for you! My smaller one is standing on the roach I put in there with her:mad:..

At this rate they will end up breeding and rescuing stray crickets:banghead:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Saw mine a few weeks ago after being hidden for 3 months. It's back burrowed in a piece of pvc. It eats most times, but not always. Was one of my favorites in the beginning, but kinda disappointing now. I didn't expect such a shy burrowing tarantula when I got it. I'd love to see a molt do I could sex it. If it was a male, I'd give it away. I probably won't know til it matures if it's a male. Not into disturbing dens.