Keep two Emps together?

daver424

Arachnopeon
So i just bought my second Emp today and its about twice the size of the one i already had. Putting them in the tank together they kinda fought but nothing really happened and both went on with their business, they did this a couple times should i be worried and devide the tank(10 Gal)...Thanks guys

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can keep them together but if the size diference is as big as yours.....It will be very easy for your larger scopion to have a midnight snack on your small one.
Although I had some emps and the size diference was noticiable....Nothing happend they become friends after a while of little fights.
But that's just my personal experience.
So if you want to buy more emps make sure they are all about the same size.
-.Raul

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One thing you could do is rearrange the tank so both scorpions will be able to setup new territories at the same time, rather than one scorp thinking the entire tank is its territory. Also keep them well fed.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing you could do is rearrange the tank so both scorpions will be able to setup new territories at the same time, rather than one scorp thinking the entire tank is its territory. Also keep them well fed.
Myself and another board member figured out that if you make 2 seperate hides and introduce them into them one at a time, they usually calim that one they're home. I've done it twice, him once, so we're 3 for 3. I'd be curious to see if it could be 4 for 4.

Ed

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Emps generaly speeking dont have problems co habitating, if kept well fed, size differance is important, and if one or both are sub adult they will shed, and thats when there vunrable to other agressive Scorps. I have Emps liveig together, of verying sizes, you just need to keep an eye open for the odd Pshyco, egrissive. I had a male who would try to mate with anything thaqt moved, i had to get rid of him after he killed one. So long as you keep them well fed they should be OK

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I purchased both of my emps together. They were in the same container when I bought them and they get along fine. Ones slightly smaller than the other but I think they are a pair. Well, they are sleeping together.

Noxocubed

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to emps living together now, the female just wont leave the male alone. She keeps sitting on top of him and has to be near him all the time. I feel a little sorry for the male as he has become a little withdrawn and quiet since she moved in, he's hen-pecked I think.

She also does this weird thing where she digs underneath him and he ends up having to move because she is literally pulling the ground out from under him and generally making him uncomfortable. He is two thirds bigger than she is and could easily overpower her if he wanted to but he seems to be just putting up with it.

I might separate them because the male dosent seem himself, he isnt moving about as much and dosent seem to want to eat either (she on the other hand will eat anything and everything!)

What to do?

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just try and make sure they always have food available ALWAYS and watch for moulting.!!

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Myself and another board member figured out that if you make 2 seperate hides and introduce them into them one at a time, they usually calim that one they're home. I've done it twice, him once, so we're 3 for 3. I'd be curious to see if it could be 4 for 4.

Ed
I tried this with my P.cavimanus and it seems to be working fine. At least there are no more fights over a hide.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried this with my P.cavimanus and it seems to be working fine. At least there are no more fights over a hide.
Great Josh! I'm curious to see if this behavior is a result of captivity or if they find a home and stick to it in the wild. Glad to see it worked though. I orginally came up with the idea after I bought a gigantic female who doubled the size of her tank mate, to be fair, his home had an enterance that she couldn't fit in, I guess size does matter.

Ed