Juvy Aphonopelma chalcodes housing

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
image0.jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image1.jpeg image3.jpeg
This tank was designed for a 2-2.5 inch Aphonopelma chalcodes juvenile.
I am not sold on that plant, and I'm worried that the light is too bright.
The wood I picked is Mopani, and i cut it to size . The wood is volcano shaped, with an awesome hollow top, you can see it in the last picture, there's a large hole under the wood for a hide.
The mesh top is going to be covered with cut acrylic with holes in it. When the T is bigger, I'll move her, but I chose a.chalcodes because they don't grow too fast.
This is a 3 gallon zoo med bugarium with two bags of their creature soil pushed down, with sphagnum moss mixed in, and small pieces of corkwood throughout.
I have not purchased the T yet because I wanted to get some second opinions. I would like an Aphonopelma chalcodes, but I feel like it might be better for an aboral species ( Avicularia versicolor maybe?) but since there is so much substrate she could make an awesome burrow. What do you guys think? DM me if you wanna chat :)
The tank came with a normal halfcircle wood hide if the mopani is too much. Let me know! I won't be buying her until the tank is given the OK.

EDIT- there are updated pictures later in this thread, i will not be using this

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
water dish too big, use a gatorade cap. Not enough floor space (too much furniture) and it is better for an arboreal. This set up poses a fall risk for a terrestrial if they climb too high.
This is an adult female. She moved the hide into its existing position, I had it centered on the left wall. You can mimic something similar in a med critter keeper and save that set up for
when you get an avicularia. Simple, Hide, Substrate, Water dish, Add a plastic plant if you want, they really don't seem to care
ChonkDozer.jpg

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
If the enclosure is for an arboreal, it’s alrightish. A little busy, but that’s not the worst. It’s good you understand to put acrylic on the top, but you said to cover the mesh. I’d recommend just cutting it completely out and replacing it with the acrylic. The outside is glass though, and arboreals are recommended to have cross ventilation, so figuring out how to put holes in glass might pose an issue for you.

If it’s for an A Chalcodes, you need more sub. The recommended amount of space between the sub and the top is 1.5x the body length of the T. If you put your blonde in there now, there’s a chance it will fall either off the side or off the top of your volcano and die.

What are you using for substrate? Almost looks like straight sand but I can’t tell.

Also for the light, if it’s a heat lamp it’s a no no, but if not, you can hang it just a bit above or get a puck LED light to go behind the enclosure just to not be so “spot light-y”.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Setup is all wrong.

I don’t think, I know you need to do research on the species you mentioned

jay444

Arachnosquire
Ditch the heating lamp. (for any T)

For A. Chalcodes now
1. Enclosure too small (in ground surface) and stuffy. She also has almost no walking space with that setup.
2. The enclosure is too tall. She will most definitely hurt herself from a fall that high.
3. Not enough substrate. A. Chalcodes really love to dig.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Setup is all wrong.

I don’t think, I know you need to do research on the species you mentioned
I redid it and it looks a lot better. I added more dirt, took out everything else, added a half circle wood hide, and a smaller water dish. I'll add a picture in a second. I still think it needs more dirt though.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Ditch the heating lamp. (for any T)

For A. Chalcodes now
1. Enclosure too small (in ground surface) and stuffy. She also has almost no walking space with that setup.
2. The enclosure is too tall. She will most definitely hurt herself from a fall that high.
3. Not enough substrate. A. Chalcodes really love to dig.
I'll add the pictures in a second, but i redid the whole thing. Luckily the bulb doesnt add any heat at all, but i'll hang it above just incase! I still need to add more dirt.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
AADA639A-685B-479D-8A29-0DE1411C0919.jpeg 43F4B74C-B560-42D4-AA16-AF740486E7C5.jpeg
Heres the updated tank, still need more dirt. I'll save the other stuff for something else.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
The light isn’t necessary, with more dirt that should be fine. To be extra safe you could replace the screen with plexiglass with holes drilled in it. It’s rare, but a T can get their little feet claws stuck in the screen and dangle or lose legs.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
The light isn’t necessary, with more dirt that should be fine. To be extra safe you could replace the screen with plexiglass with holes drilled in it. It’s rare, but a T can get their little feet claws stuck in the screen and dangle or lose legs.
:( that would be terrible, i can definitely fashion a better lid for her tomorrow. Thanks!