Juvie Regalis Rehousing.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
My project today was to rehouse two LP slings and one juvenile P. Regalis. That little Regalis about gives me a heart attack every time I have to deal with it. It is so quick and unpredictable that it is hard for the human eye to track it. Thank God for catch cups and 15" tweezers. Next time I have to deal with this thing, I swear, it's going into an adult enclosure and staying there.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My project today was to rehouse two LP slings and one juvenile P. Regalis. That little Regalis about gives me a heart attack every time I have to deal with it. It is so quick and unpredictable that it is hard for the human eye to track it. Thank God for catch cups and 15" tweezers. Next time I have to deal with this thing, I swear, it's going into an adult enclosure and staying there.
Wait till it's an adult. As they get larger..just wait.

JayManges

Arachnopeon
Given this juvie's level of cooperation, or lack thereof, I can hardly wait....,

omni

Arachnobaron
oh I feel ya. That's why sometimes I've kept certain sp. in a huge habitat but blocked it off with plexiglass and just remove when they need more space. put the whole bottle, AMAC or whatever in the tank. usually it was a 5 or 10gal aquarium. but after about 5 or 6 "intermediate" T's, you get the idea of how to manage catch cups and corral a T, how to move, how to get it back out with no possible escape. Tom Moran has a lot of rehousing vids, Dark Den some good ones too. search rehousing on YT.
but whatever I said, it's diff with every T and owner haha. I'm gonna have an ordeal with P. irminia. arboreals can be difficult I see and this is my 1st.

Pampho's wore me out. I was getting good with a catch cup, but whenever I'd get close, they would run like blazes lol. took an hour to catch this one little P. nigricolor. N. coloratovillosus is another that it's 50/50 whether I win or get flicked and haired :shy:

JayManges

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the great advice. Just to be clear, the regalis wasn't being defensive in any way other than trying to get the heck away from me. I would have left her where she was but I had inadvertently flooded the substrate in her enclosure. Easy to do with a 2"x2"x6" Amac container with very little substrate to begin with. I had all the necessary tools at my disposal except for a bathtub. I improvised by performing the operation over a cardboard box which proved to be almost useless except for the fact that she went right over the rim of the old enclosure and teleported onto one of the tabs of the cardboard box instead of into her new enclosure as I hoped/anticipated. The catch cup took over from there where I was able to scoop her in her new habit without any further drama. I must admit, I was a little unnerved for a few minutes. Fortunately, I prepared in advance for what might happen and stayed calm when things started to go south. To touch on what Viper69 said, I am expecting a bigger regalis in a couple of weeks as part of a package deal for some other NW T's. This ought to be fabulous. Going to take your advice and just put the whole deli cup in the new enclosure and let it figure its own way out. OW's are so much fun. /s