Juvie B.Albopilosum question

Steff

Arachnopeon
Hey. I dont know how to start my own thread here. So i hope you dont mind me asking a question here...

Ok, before I start, I got a Juvie B.Albopilosum.

Two nights ago whilst trying to fall asleep I hear this insane loud hum in my room. I switch on my lamp, And there it was, landed on my duvet cover by my legs, A FLYING TARANTULA! Ok im joking, it was a huge beetle. Like most prob the size of my T's body. So my mind hits one of those lightbulb moments. PING! Put it in Emma's tank (Emma is my T). So I did just that. The next morning Emma is sitting front legs and peddi's out her cave. and there's me assuming she ate this Beetle already. But.. Now.. This morning I woke up to find Holes all over her terrarium. This beetle is ALIVE! Its digging all over. Emma is all good though. I reckon she's hitting a premolt. But is this Beetle going to be a problem??? I cant find it now. and i cant go digging up 5" deep substrate. She's just finished her cave up all nicely and also heading for premolt. All her energy is needed.

HELP??

PS: I'm a spider noob and have arachnophobia. I got Emma to help overcome my fears. Oh, And yes, I have held her. Is it weird I find my spider cute?? :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get the beetle out of there. It's generally considered bad juju to feed wild caught (WC) prey to a domestic tarantula. They can carry pesticides, parasites and diseases that can affect your tarantula. As captive bred animals, they have no acquired resistance to pesticides and no resistance to disease. On top of that, beetles are fairly strong, have thick shells and often have chemical defenses against predators. They're not good prey items in general and you're better off feeding soft bodied insects like roaches and crickets.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps get the T out first, then worry about digging up the beetle.

I call each and every one of our Ts cute and even baby talk to them on occasion and I am not the only one around here that does so. ;)

Welcome to the forum!......and still check your private messages, I shot one over to you this morning. :)

Steff

Arachnopeon
Ok, I took Emma out. Then emptied the tank to find the beetle. All seems fine now. I made it epic for her. Instead of flat and boring substrate, I made it a little hilly and added some sphagnum moss too. Although she isn't in her cave now. Seems to be webbing up the opposite side of the tank.

Haha. Not eating at all for about a month so she should be busting out with a molt soon. Also only a few hairs on her bum.

YAY!:clap:

Steff

Arachnopeon
SHE MOLTED!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just got home from church this evening to find Emma on her back kicking off her old shell!! YAY!

This is the first time I have actually SEEN her molt. It was AMAZING!

Now her old shell is off, but she is now on her back and not moving and legs curled in. This isn't the death curl, right?

I'm a little bit panicked but I'm sure this is normal. She moves now and then.

But flip. STOKED!!

jimip

Arachnosquire
then tend to lay on there back for some time and ... expand... i guess. for a while my gold knee looked like a crueler.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On her back after a molt, and legs curled in is not a death curl.
They are so exhausted after the molt that they do this for a while.

They later flip over, and will spend sometime stretching out.
Congrats on the successful molt :D

Steff

Arachnopeon
Hey guys!

Ok, as you know, molt was a success. But she's been in her cave now for 11 days with the entrance all clogged up with moss and web. This is normal, right? :wall:

Can I move the moss web blockage thing to see if she's still alive? or is this bad?

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
Dont disturb her at all she is in her hide hardenig and will come out when she needs water you should also not feed her for at least a week after molt

Steff

Arachnopeon
Yeah man. I haven't fed her. just been cleaning out her water bowl and giving fresh water. I'm so excited to see her. She's molted into a big girl now. :)

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah man. I haven't fed her. just been cleaning out her water bowl and giving fresh water. I'm so excited to see her. She's molted into a big girl now. :)
Haha, this is what made me get more! I couldn't imagine only having 1 T to watch eat, molt and do it's thing.

Steff

Arachnopeon
Ok, this is off topic about the molt. This is a question about the Brachipelma Albopilosum family. I see online that this species of T in particular, are supposed to be very docile and calm. :p
Well, with mine, she just wants to eat me up whole. She's always been aggressive. Since juvie age. Kicks hairs. She's never given any warning either. Normally they supposed to raise their legs and show fangs. Mine, just lunges at me. This morning I was pouring water into her bowl and she launched out her cave, attacked the bottle in my hand and then ran back into the cave. Was funny, but a think I farted out my spine. I got a HUGE fright. :eek:

So do you think she'll calm down? Or am I just a rare case with an aggressive and quick B. Albopilosum? ;P

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, this is off topic about the molt. This is a question about the Brachipelma Albopilosum family. I see online that this species of T in particular, are supposed to be very docile and calm. :p
Well, with mine, she just wants to eat me up whole. She's always been aggressive. Since juvie age. Kicks hairs. She's never given any warning either. Normally they supposed to raise their legs and show fangs. Mine, just lunges at me. This morning I was pouring water into her bowl and she launched out her cave, attacked the bottle in my hand and then ran back into the cave. Was funny, but a think I farted out my spine. I got a HUGE fright. :eek:

So do you think she'll calm down? Or am I just a rare case with an aggressive and quick B. Albopilosum? ;P
Each tarantula is different from the last. Some people have calm Pokies, and some, like you, wind up with cranky B. albos. It's just a fun game and part of T ownership.