Juvenile Wolf spider?

tarantulatori

Arachnopeon
Hey all,
I found this little guy at the bottom of my bedroom wall and caught it so my cats didn’t. Would you agree that it’s a wolf spider? I took a photo with my cheap macro lens. Found in Brisbane Australia and it’s maybe 10-15mm DLS. 7A3AA1FA-2968-4A6A-83C2-BFA15A9A7E77.jpeg

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I found this little guy at the bottom of my bedroom wall and caught it so my cats didn’t. Would you agree that it’s a wolf spider?
It looks like a wolf spider (Lycosidae) to me but might also be a nursery web spider (Pisauridae). Do you have any other photos, especially of the eyes?

tarantulatori

Arachnopeon
It looks like a wolf spider (Lycosidae) to me but might also be a nursery web spider (Pisauridae). Do you have any other photos, especially of the eyes?
It might be a bit small to get a photo of the eyes but I’ll try when the sun is out tomorrow.

Never mind I got an okay photo 26E6C3D4-28CD-4429-96A9-E95DF0386CD4.jpeg

And here’s a better picture of the whole spider 1D2B69E1-1C59-467F-B54B-EB67D237C9BF.jpeg

6EA62482-23F6-43A9-B3AD-584778C02B84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Never mind I got an okay photo

And here’s a better picture of the whole spider
Looking at it more closely, these eyes look more pisaurid than lycosid to me, because the four median (central) eyes are about the same size. (Wolf spiders usually have two eyes that are noticeably larger than all others, even the other median eyes, looking a bit like a frowny face.)

tarantulatori

Arachnopeon
Looking at it more closely, these eyes look more pisaurid than lycosid to me, because the four median (central) eyes are about the same size. (Wolf spiders usually have two eyes that are noticeably larger than all others, even the other median eyes, looking a bit like a frowny face.)
Hmm I think you’re right. I’ll release it near water in case it is!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looking at it more closely, these eyes look more pisaurid than lycosid to me
You're right. Lycosid is out.

Might be Pisauridae or Ctenidae, depending what's common in your area (family wise). Since this is Oz and i know nothing about your spiders even Trechaleidae comes to mind. 2-4-2 is common to a lot of families and it really comes down to context.