Juvenile waste

TarantulaBob

Arachnopeon
Hi i was wondering do juvenile Ts leave bits of crickets behind ex. The shell, how often do you clean their tanks

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, they'll generally leave a small ball of leftovers (called a bolus) when done eating, I just pick those out the day after feeding.

TarantulaBob

Arachnopeon
Thanks i change the substrate every 2 months but nether take the bolus it just comes out every 2 months, is this ok.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks how can you see the bolus
a flashlight sometimes helps. it'll look like a little grey ball. no big deal if you miss one though, after a few days they sometimes start to mold a bit, makes it easier to find them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks how can you see the bolus
If the T leaves them out in the open then I tend to spot them quite easily, they do sometimes bury them or dump them in the water dish though.

This is basically a larger version of what you're looking for (the remnants of 2 adult crickets left by my A. geniculata)

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thanks i change the substrate every 2 months but nether take the bolus it just comes out every 2 months, is this ok.
No, why would you do that?!?! The tarantula needs time to settle and will always be stressed if you rehouse it every second month. One of OBTs has stayed in the same enclosure for more than two years now and I have no intention to change the substrate any time soon.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You should not change the substrate every two months. Theraphosidae aren't that dirty. Leave the substrate in and just take out food remains and bolus.
Changing it creates a lot of stress for your spider. You're essentially putting it in a new environment every time,and they don't like that.

TarantulaBob

Arachnopeon
Thanks ill look closer in the future my n.Chromatos eats in her burrow so so im not able to get the bolus out. It is also hard because there medium crickets

TarantulaBob

Arachnopeon
After 2 months my b.Emilia started too climb every second of the evening so i changed the dirt and she hasn't climbed since