Juvenile housing

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
So I talked to one person but I want to hear others opinions on this. Would it be fine to house a 2 inch A. chalcodes in a 16" length x 9.5 inches width and 12 inches high or would it be to big

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That sounds way too big for a 2" T. If you have a pet store near you, just buy a medium Kritter Keeper. They come in varying sizes, are relatively cheap, and have lots of ventilation for your A. chal. Stinks that it's a male, but for dimmension I would say 4x the T's leg span is too much. Especially for such a slow growing species :D The cage you are talking about would be spacious for an adult of that species ;)

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
So those critter keepers would be good enough, I assume decor should stay the same with a hide and water dish and maybe some moss

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So those critter keepers would be good enough, I assume decor should stay the same with a hide and water dish and maybe some moss
Get an ExoTerra Breeder Box instead, You won't have to worry about fall injury, and they have 2 side doors for food/watering. Plus they are stackable!!

If cost is an issue and you don't care about clarity go with a RUB. They are stackable as well. Plus their lids lock but are so easy to remove, they barely disturb a T.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Get an ExoTerra Breeder Box instead, You won't have to worry about fall injury, and they have 2 side doors for food/watering. Plus they are stackable!!

If cost is an issue and you don't care about clarity go with a RUB. They are stackable as well. Plus their lids lock but are so easy to remove, they barely disturb a T.
This is the first I have encountered the breeder boxes. I like them a lot more than the similar sized critter keepers:
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/breeding_box_breeding.php

It's a shame that they are only suitable for adult Ts.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
For a 2" chalcodes, a small to medium critter keeper will be just fine. Just fill it with dirt so that you only have 2-3" of space between the substrate and the top of the lid. The enclosure you're describing would be big for an adult chalcodes, let alone a sling/juvie. My sub-adult female is in a 12" cube and even that is much too big (really heavy too since I had to fill it with 7" of substrate to keep the substrate-to-lid space from being too much). I keep meaning to replace it, then I decided I needed another T this month instead. Maybe next month...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's way too large, even for an adult, an Exo Terra small faunarium (or equivalent) or an Exo Terra small breeding box would be ideal for a 2" Tarantula, just make sure that the gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure is no more than 2x the leg span of the Tarantula.

A medium Exo Terra breeding box or medium flat faunarium would be fine for an adult A. chalcodes, I keep mine in the latter.

DSC00001.JPG

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
A medium Exo Terra breeding box or medium flat faunarium would be fine for an adult A. chalcodes, I keep mine in the latter.
I had never seen these before. Just picked one up for my sub-adult chalcodes (hooray for same-day shipping)! Thanks for the recommendation!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Would it be fine to house a 2 inch A. chalcodes in a 16" length x 9.5 inches width and 12 inches high or would it be to big
That's more space than it needs. For terrestrial tarantulas, however, you really only need to "worry" (as in safety risk) about excessive vertical space, as a fall can lethally injure your tarantula. (The bigger and bulkier the tarantula, the greater the risk.) Vertical space should not exceed 1.5x the tarantula's legspan between the top of the substrate and the lid.

Excessive horizontal space is not harmful as long as there are appropriate cage furnishings. However, as your collection grows, you may one day regret housing one tarantula in space that could have accommodated two or three.

So how much horizontal space does it need? As a rule of thumb, I would say about 3x its legspan in any direction.

Vertically, it really just needs enough space that it can push the exuviae up and off when flipped on its back to molt.

I second that recommendation. I use small Exo Terra Breeding Boxes (8" x 8" x 5.5") for my terrestrials starting at about 2".