Juvenile feeding (curly hair)

Happychick1

Arachnopeon
hi everyone
New to the T world.....I received my curly hair T on Tuesday and gave it a small mealworm Wednesday. My T is approx 7cm and wondered if I should give it a red runner roach? (I only have small and micro due to also having a sling) or should I wait until next feeding day which is Saturday. Its been busy digging out substrate from its hide but now spends nearly all its time either sat on top of it's hide or occasionally on its moss or substrate. It does have a water dish but wondered if it was hungry seeing as the mealworm was small (about 2cm long max)?

Also its put a very small amount of the moss in its hide lol 😆

Attachments

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
hi everyone
New to the T world.....I received my curly hair T on Tuesday and gave it a small mealworm Wednesday. My T is approx 7cm and wondered if I should give it a red runner roach? (I only have small and micro due to also having a sling) or should I wait until next feeding day which is Saturday. Its been busy digging out substrate from its hide but now spends nearly all its time either sat on top of it's hide or occasionally on its moss or substrate. It does have a water dish but wondered if it was hungry seeing as the mealworm was small (about 2cm long max)?

Also its put a very small amount of the moss in its hide lol 😆
You could give it a small red runner, it wouldn't harm it, but it would likely be considered a "little snack" for a 7cm T.

Feeding can be done based on size of the abdomen. It takes a little bit to get some experience under your belt, but eventually you'll know how often to feed your individual Ts.

As long as the abdomen isn't super small, your T will be fine, one way or the other. It's difficult to see the size of the abdomen in the pictures you provided. An image from above the T would be appropriate.

You definitely don't need a set feeding schedule for a T. You could use one.

I currently do not use a feeding schedule for my Ts, although I do document all feedings so I can see how often they eat.

NYCreepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
i have had my curly hair for a while. These are terrestrial. If you try to tong feed it and it does not accept its ok. Mostly likey it wants to hunt it rather then being given to it . Keep one in the encloser overnight and if its still there in the morning remove it.. if you feed it with tongs and it grabs it thats fine. Also keep in mind that these creatures can grab 2 at a time. But dont over feed the sling. It can get really fat.. my curly hair also isnt to fond of sleeping in its hide but HE does know the locations.

Attachments

Happychick1

Arachnopeon
Thanks for this. I managed to capture one of the larger ones (still not too big) and i chucked it in. It ran around the enclosure and when it got to roughly where my T was sitting it was pounced upon! Great to see! My T then sat on it's toes on the top of his hide enjoying it's snack. I've ordered some dubia but a bit worried because they burrow.
Lovely picture of your T..love the colour.

You could give it a small red runner, it wouldn't harm it, but it would likely be considered a "little snack" for a 7cm T.

Feeding can be done based on size of the abdomen. It takes a little bit to get some experience under your belt, but eventually you'll know how often to feed your individual Ts.

As long as the abdomen isn't super small, your T will be fine, one way or the other. It's difficult to see the size of the abdomen in the pictures you provided. An image from above the T would be appropriate.

You definitely don't need a set feeding schedule for a T. You could use one.

I currently do not use a feeding schedule for my Ts, although I do document all feedings so I can see how often they eat.
Thank you for this. My T lived its snack. Just wondered how many mealworms or turkistan roaches I would need to give as they're not that big. Loving this new hobby and I can't believe how addicting it is (especially as I was an arachnophobe!)

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Thanks for this. I managed to capture one of the larger ones (still not too big) and i chucked it in. It ran around the enclosure and when it got to roughly where my T was sitting it was pounced upon! Great to see! My T then sat on it's toes on the top of his hide enjoying it's snack. I've ordered some dubia but a bit worried because they burrow.
Lovely picture of your T..love the colour.

With dubia, you need to slightly crush their heads with your tongs and then drop in. Otherwise your dubia will play dead and will not move. When you crush its head and drop in, it will still walk around and move its legs. This works with crickets too. The benefit of crushing the feeders heads is, if drop it in and your T doesn't attack it right away you can leave it in overnight knowing that it will die within an hour and cannot harm your T. You will also easily be able to remove them the following day if your T doesn't eat them.

Thank you for this. My T lived its snack. Just wondered how many mealworms or turkistan roaches I would need to give as they're not that big. Loving this new hobby and I can't believe how addicting it is (especially as I was an arachnophobe!)
Use your T's abdomen as a gauge of "how big of feeder should I feed my T". You want to feed it something the size of its abdomen or slightly larger as a rule of thumb.

Edit : Curly Hair slings are one my favorite out of all my T's. They are such a good beginner species

Happychick1

Arachnopeon
Use your T's abdomen as a gauge of "how big of feeder should I feed my T". You want to feed it something the size of its abdomen or slightly larger as a rule of thumb.

Edit : Curly Hair slings are one my favorite out of all my T's. They are such a good beginner species
Brilliant. Will do. Yeah this T is definitely a cutie !!
With dubia, you need to slightly crush their heads with your tongs and then drop in. Otherwise your dubia will play dead and will not move. When you crush its head and drop in, it will still walk around and move its legs. This works with crickets too. The benefit of crushing the feeders heads is, if drop it in and your T doesn't attack it right away you can leave it in overnight knowing that it will die within an hour and cannot harm your T. You will also easily be able to remove them the following day if your T doesn't eat them.
Thanks for the advice. Will do this x