Juvenile B.Smithi eating a baby toad

domminiks

Arachnopeon
Sorry.It's offensive here. My T eating wild caught baby toad :( didn't know that It would cause damage to my T. I'll update my T when It's been a while. Thank you for informative and supportive comments.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
youre probably going to get alot of crap for this.. some members are really against feeding anything besides insects..
and while i think its perfectly fine, feeding wild caught prey that might have pesticides and stuff on them isnt the best way to keep Ts.
you should probably stick to store bought feeders. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Oh. Sorry about that. Just wanna know If It is normal.
tarantulas will eat anything they can overpower. its normal. they dont really have any preferences.
also, a 2" B smithi is probably in the 1.5-2.5 year range, they grow very slowly.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Oh. Sorry about that. Just wanna know If It is normal.
Maybe in the wild, but not in captivity. It's a good way to kill your T too if the frog was in any kind of contact with pesticides. Wait till you smell the aftermath too, you'll never do it again lol.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Also,amphibians of all genius/species are endangered the world over.many will become extinct in our
lifetimes.Thanks to our mismanagement of this planet and its eco-systems.
To feed that kind of prey is IMO,irresponsible.Crickets,( I personally hate em for feeders),roaches and
Meal/waxworms will outlive the planet and us.

Your post was innocently posted,as you had a legitimate inquirey,but please,don,t feed endangered animals
of any kind to your T.s.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Regardless of what the prey item is, (Which I don't agree with), as others have said feeding a tarantula ANYTHING that's caught outside is irresponsible. You're potentially putting your tarantulas life on the life with exposure to pesticides just for the "novelty" of watching your T eat something that's not the typical prey item for T's kept in captivity. We're not saying this to bash on you, we're just looking out for your T's health. Please don't do it again.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would expect to see gratuitous tarantula vs frog postings over on YouTube or Facebook, but not here. Disappointing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You weren't aware of the risks and stigma. Lesson learned, just remember the lesson.

Be sure to clean up the uneaten prey when the tarantula is done. That is going to start festering before the tarantula is even done eating, and you don't need an infestation of mold, mites, or flies.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
The toad could have parasites which is bad and also a lot of toads are toxic too which would very easily kill your T.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let me tell you this. The problem is not a mice, a lizard, or a toad/frog whatever or ethic/moral crap that belongs only to the person in question.

The problem/s IMO is/are:

- WC prey (always a risk, and frankly, a WC cricket living in the vineyards near my area will kill T's in not even a week).
- the F-Word size, always to consider, a thing that you didn't, comparing the size.
- captivity, by far different than the wild but oh well, always the same issue.

Anyway a B.dubia or a cricket never killed, so far, a Theraphosidae, lol

Trenor

Arachnoprince
a lot of toads are toxic too which would very easily kill your T.
+1 to this. This is why you shouldn't feed toads to anything. I had a dog once that grabbed a common toad with it's mouth and spent the next day or so slobbering and sick.

As far as food feeding ethics, I'll leave that to other people as it is really just a matter of opinion.

There are a lot of better food items for your T out there to choose from IMO. I'd recommend one of those.