Just wondering...

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today when I was handling my emperor scorpion, I felt something itchy on it, and sure enough I noticed what looked to be something similar to urticating tarantula hairs, except they don't dislodge. I've seen these before on it, but for some odd reason, it looked bigger this time. I believe they are used for sensing prey. Are they similar to tarantula urticating hairs? Are they made of the same material as the exoskeleton?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Most scorpions have some hairs on them...it is believed that they are sensative to vibrations and therefore help to locate prey. These hairs are most prevalent in the desert species...H.arizonensis or H.spadix for instance...They are not called 'desert hairys' for no reason.

AlbinoD, check out Mr. D's V.spinigerus pics. Look at the last segment of the metasoma and you will be able to see some of those hairs. It is a desert species by the way.

John
];')

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool. I see what you're saying, but my main query was if there was a link in this way between Ts and Scorps.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I know that they are NOT urticating hairs. Though I would imagine they are of similar material as the non-urticating hairs on the tarantulas...though the individual hairs do seem to be a bit thicker on the scorpions...at least compared to the one tarantula I own. The hairs on some of those Avics and curly hairs look pretty thick. I do not know if they are of the same material of the rest of the exoskeleton. That would be an answer for someone else to give.

John
];')

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
I know that they are NOT urticating hairs. Though I would imagine they are of similar material as the non-urticating hairs on the tarantulas
];')
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I also know that they are NOT urticating hairs. But since Ts and Scorps are arachnids, I was just thinking that they were probably of similar material to one another.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It is all chitin-based, so to some degree it is all made from the same stuff. Structuraly, however, I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Dave