Just why? 😂😂😂 but also serious question

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
I have this house spider (not sure if it's a Tegenaria domestica or Etratigena atrica) and he/she molted the other day. I look in the enclosure today to see that the spider has decided to carry the molt all the way to the other side of the enclosure, just to drop it in the water dish.
I'm like "just why?" Lmao!

IMG_20210419_121206.jpg

On a serious note, this spider has molted twice in the space of 3 weeks. Could the growth speed be an indication that he/she will be male, or am I wrong on this assumption?

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Spiders dispose of their molts by throwing them, burying them, ripping them up or by putting them in their water dish.

My theory is that they associate all water with flowing water.

Normal behavior.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Possibly an innate reflex. Shape of a spider, be it the real thing or a molt, attracts predators. Move it as far away as possible from the area where the spider usually likes to hang out - work in. Considering birds are extremely visually oriented, this lends to the theory.

Cecelias lair

Arachnosquire
The question about why it's moving it's molt is a hypothetical question as more of a joke.
My serious question is if the spider growing quickly could it be an indication that it's a male? I'm wondering if that makes it easier to tell before they mature as I feel like males will be the ones growing quickly. I would love to get someone's insight on this.