Just When You Thought The Animal Rights Movement Couldn't Get More Stupid...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a member of another forum PM'd me THIS earlier this morning: http://www.hedweb.com/abolitionist-project/reprogramming-predators.html

Take a few minutes to read it and take in what they are saying, with all its ramification. Keep in mind that the "Abolitionist Project" is the "brain" child of the ALF, a terrorist organization that has no problems at all with cruelty against humans, and which is funded by PETA.

pitbulllady

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
obviously the page was written by a nutjob.

to say this is representative of the "animals rights movement" is ridiculous and just plain wrong.

undoubtedly there are many thing the animal rights movement works for that you would agree with. for example preventing some of the horrible abuse people do to pitbulls.

like most things, it is best not to go to extremes and just use common sense.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scary stuff. It sounds like a joke to many people, but these wackos actually think this way.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW, That is never even feasibly possible anyway but extremely fun to read! Reprogramming predators, thats a riot!! How many people die a year from eachother? We are the worst of all parasites and predatory animals, far more terrible than any disease or virus or bacteria or living creature. IF anything I'd say get rid of all of us. Thats just me though.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know there's a problem when the article begins by quoting a biblical passage. Here's a scary quote:

"Such a momentous transition can occur only after the advent of mass-produced, genetically-engineered artificial meat "

Genetically engineered artificial meat? Doesn't sound very momentous to me. Soylent green anyone?

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
You know there's a problem when the article begins by quoting a biblical passage. Here's a scary quote:

"Such a momentous transition can occur only after the advent of mass-produced, genetically-engineered artificial meat "

Genetically engineered artificial meat? Doesn't sound very momentous to me. Soylent green anyone?
Sounds more like spam

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
obviously the page was written by a nutjob.

to say this is representative of the "animals rights movement" is ridiculous and just plain wrong.

undoubtedly there are many thing the animal rights movement works for that you would agree with. for example preventing some of the horrible abuse people do to pitbulls.

like most things, it is best not to go to extremes and just use common sense.
You have GOT to be joking, right? PLEASE tell me that you're joking when you said that the animal rights movement "works for people I would agree with" and does things like "preventing the horrible abuse people do to pitbulls". Either you have no clue what the animal rights movement is really about, or you are confusing "animal RIGHTS" with "animal WELFARE", two very, very different things.

I do not agree with ANYTHING or ANYONE that work with the animal rights movement, since their most basic agenda is to end ALL animal use by humans, period, and that includes the keeping, breeding and selling of animals of ALL species as pets. THIS includes domesticated "traditional" cats and dogs as well as "exotic" animals like reptiles and tarantulas. As for "preventing cruelty to pitbulls", the animal rights "Master Plan" is to wipe them from the face of the planet through the passage of BSL and mandatory spay/neuter for ALL dogs; after all, you can't mistreat something that no longer exists, can you? Extinction, for their own good, THAT is the animal rights ultimate solution. All major animal rights groups, including PETA and HSUS, support BSL, either openly or clandestinely, but their goal is the extinction of all dogs and cats. Find me ONE animal rights group(not animal WELFARE, again their IS a difference)that supports the continued breeding of animals, the keeping of exotics like reptiles and arachnids, and which is strongly anti-BSL, and I'll find YOU the Tooth Fairy...and throw in a wonderful parcel of ocean-front property in Indiana for free!

pitbulllady

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
FTR, this page is not at all representative of the views of the vast majority of the animal rights movement - abolitionists included. Abolitionism in animal rights is defined by eliminating the exploitation of animals by humans - not altering natural predation or whiping out everything but herbivores on the planet. I happen to know plenty of abolitionist AR folk (heck, including ALF members) myself and none of them would support the insanity this website is promoting. To say that this is the animal rights movement is like saying every person that is pro-life supports bombing abortion clinics and killing abortion doctors, every pit bull owner is a dog fighter, or that every snake owner trolls the neighborhood of household pets to live-feed to their burms. As PBL has described, there are enough reasons for the folks on this site to dislike the AR movement already, but I do not think it is fair to claim that this website is a good representation of the majority of the movement's opinions.

I wouldn't be too worried about sites like this, at any rate. For one, virtually no one actually follows that philosophy, EVEN among animal rights advocates - anyone can make a website, it doesn't mean a lot of people buy it. Secondly, for anything like what is proposed there to happen, there would have to be a massive global paradigm shift of how societies interact with and view animals. You think world wide veganism is stupid AR pipe dream? It would be a plausible reality compared to something of THIS scope. Finally, it is obviously an impossibility; even with a totally willing and interested public (which doesn't exist), I have no faith in our ability to genetically engineer carnivores into herbivores, whipe out every single invertebrate on the planet, etc. We are barely at the stage of being able to tweak a few genes without a massive ammount of related problems. Changing the nutritional needs and behavior of entire species is just plain ridiculous.

Basically: yes, some people believe in wacky stuff, but you could find crazy BS like this to apply to any group you don't like.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say PitBullLady needs to run for President! Then she can put these groups in their place.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It didn't sound so much "stupid" to me as it did "unrealistic", and "insane". What scares me is that people like this are smart enough to get in high places, then attempt to carry out their insane agendas as covertly as they can, thinking everybody else is too stupid to understand. And they know religious people respond to Biblical quotes while they probably secretly ridicule religion, or people's perception of it at least. They take quotes out of the Bible, out of context. I'm not a religious guy but philosophies and what people believe are interesting to me. I looked up a quote he used for example, "He that slayeth an ox is as he that slayeth a man" I looked up and read the context, it has to do with Pagan sacrifice and idolatry. Isaiah 66:3, "But whoever 'sacrifices' a bull is like one who kills a man, and whoever offers a lamb, like one who breaks a dog's neck; whoever makes a grain offering is like one who presents pig's blood, and whoever burns memorial incense, like one who worships an idol. They have chosen their own ways and their souls delight in their abominations;" To me, it's obviously referring to Pagan rituals, saying the rituals are sinful. It means that no matter what a Pagan "sacrifices to their god", be it an ox or a man, it's just as sinful to sacrifice anything to what Christianity refers to as "false gods". As a matter of fact, when looking at the context, the quote is inferring that it's OK to kill an ox but not a man.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I find this rather hypocritical. What right does a group named after a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Club sandwich have to advocate veganism? Where do they think bacon comes from?

On a more serious At another message board, I once had a ARA tell me that if it were in his power, he'd genetically manipulate all animals into vegetarians. And I think he was serious.
I pointed out that he must not think too much of the animal's rights if he wished to play god and strip the creatures of their very nature. Though I didn't think to ask him about the huge rise in animal population that his fantasy would produce, since there would be no predation to keep things in balance.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I find this rather hypocritical. What right does a group named after a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Club sandwich have to advocate veganism? Where do they think bacon comes from?

On a more serious At another message board, I once had a ARA tell me that if it were in his power, he'd genetically manipulate all animals into vegetarians. And I think he was serious.
I pointed out that he must not think too much of the animal's rights if he wished to play god and strip the creatures of their very nature. Though I didn't think to ask him about the huge rise in animal population that his fantasy would produce, since there would be no predation to keep things in balance.
It is EXTREMELY hypocritical, in that they so often accuse purebred dog breeders and other animal breeders of "playing God" in selectively breeding dogs, cats, snakes, whatever for certain physical or behavioral traits that are noticeably different from those of their wild ancestors, and they hate zoos with a passion, yet to accomplish their "druthers" would require capturing and containing and conducting all manner of extreme genetic experimentation on wild animals, millions upon millions of them. Of course it's not "do-able", not even remotely, but the scary thing is that there ARE quite a few of these people who are so determined to end the eating of animal flesh by ANY living thing that they would even think this way, and they ARE quite serious.

pitbulllady