Just wanting some advice...

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone! So I posted a thread already on Saturday about how the area I keep my t’s in had been invaded by ants Friday evening. Luckily I had caught it before it got really bad and took care of it using some run of the mill insect spray and paper towels. The ants have not returned since and all my t’s are ok. I was told by a member here not to return the t’s to where I keep them for about a week since I used the insect spray and I was just trying to get feedback on if that’s appropriate or should I wait more or is it overkill. I’ve thoroughly wiped the area with alcohol wipes and water/paper towels. Thoughts?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Hello everyone! So I posted a thread already on Saturday about how the area I keep my t’s in had been invaded by ants Friday evening. Luckily I had caught it before it got really bad and took care of it using some run of the mill insect spray and paper towels. The ants have not returned since and all my t’s are ok. I was told by a member here not to return the t’s to where I keep them for about a week since I used the insect spray and I was just trying to get feedback on if that’s appropriate or should I wait more or is it overkill. I’ve thoroughly wiped the area with alcohol wipes and water/paper towels. Thoughts?
I think moving them back is fine and not the issue. The issue is that the spay dispersed into the air and has essentially contaminated every around it. This puts you at risk of cross contamination. Just be Uber careful about what you touch, then introducing it somehow into the T’s enclosure.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I would buy some shallow brownie trays. Put risers in the trays, put the cages on the risers and put water in the trays. Kind of like building a moat. Ant invasions are usually searches for water and then they find food and all hell breaks loose. Also, find where they are traveling (along a wall or whatever) and spray with Windex. You need to destroy the pheromone trail they are following. Do you know what type of ant?

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I think moving them back is fine and not the issue. The issue is that the spay dispersed into the air and has essentially contaminated every around it. This puts you at risk of cross contamination. Just be Uber careful about what you touch, then introducing it somehow into the T’s enclosure.
Thank you so much I’ll be extremely mindful of what my hands are touching. God forbid anything happens, but how long do symptoms of DKS take to set in just so I can keep an eye out?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
You are in San Diego, (like me) I am going to guess they are the tiny Argentinian SOBs that have taken over. So yes, find their travel routes and scrub down with windex or they will come back

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I would buy some shallow brownie trays. Put risers in the trays, put the cages on the risers and put water in the trays. Kind of like building a moat. Ant invasions are usually searches for water and then they find food and all hell breaks loose. Also, find where they are traveling (along a wall or whatever) and spray with Windex. You need to destroy the pheromone trail they are following. Do you know what type of ant?
I seem to have successfully gotten rid of the pheromone trail, I took care of the ants Friday night and haven’t seen one back since. Thank goodness we don’t keep anything food wise in the garage. They were just the small black ants that come indoors during hot weather

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
You are in San Diego, (like me) I am going to guess they are the tiny Argentinian SOBs that have taken over. So yes, find their travel routes and scrub down with windex or they will come back
You know how it is then, hot weather=prepare for some house guests

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
The tiny black or brown are the Argentines, and yes, with Hot Weather, they come looking for water, all hell breaks loose when they find food. I used to leave a water dish outside to abate them

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
The tiny black or brown are the Argentines, and yes, with Hot Weather, they come looking for water, all hell breaks loose when they find food. I used to leave a water dish outside to abate them
Oh now see that’s super smart, great idea

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
If its been over a week and you've washed/wiped everything down then you should be good.

but how long do symptoms of DKS take to set in just so I can keep an eye out?
There are no symptoms of "DKS", what hobbyists refer to as "DKS" is actually just dyskinesia which is basically a symptom of several underlying problems, calling dyskinesia "Dyskinetic Syndrome" is the equivalent of calling sunburn "Irradiated Skin Syndrome".

Anyway, dyskinesia as a result of coming into contact with insecticides would likely occur pretty quickly (hours/days).