just tried sexing using a molt

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
my genic just molted this morning. I tried to sex it using the molt but it was a disaster. I tried to soak the molt skin in water with soap but when i try to spread it out, it broke. anybody know how to spread them without breaking the skin??? I didn't even see the book lungs. so disappointed. It was a 2.5" size. any tips for next time???

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the molt was fresh, you didn't need to do any soaking at all. The molt is soft enough to work with without it.

Are you using any tools to spread the molt out, or just your fingers? Order some fine-tipped tweezers on ebay - they're great.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Joe's advice is spot on.

Also work under some magnification when spreading the molt out. You can see where the layers are and where to grab with the tweezers.
http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com/tweezers/ETTWZ700.html

Drug stores/ Hardware stores should have what you need.
A magnifying glass that can hold itself up, one with a light around it is really nice to use. Many people don't want to make that kind of investment.
Here's one for $27.13 http://www.all-spec.com/products/230-109.html

I prefer to work under my dissecting microscope, but I know most wouldn't ever make that kind of investment.

I prefer to work on wet molts as they will lay open better.

rockrox1

Arachnosquire
I know this is dumb but i just use a toothpick and slowly spread them out. I reckon that if i very slowly spread them out it will do but unfortunately the molt skin get stuck in the toothpick and get scrape. I have a minimicroscope but i haven't got the chance to use them. Can a 2" molt skin be sexed already?

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
I use rubbing alcohol to moisten the molt so I can spread it...works great and the alcohol eventually evaporates leaving the molt in good shape.