Just successfully rehoused my 1st Old World T the Hmac!! Stoked. :D

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I recently made a thread about rescuing a bunch of Tarantulas from a friend of mine and 1 of them was an Hmac. This would be my first Old World after collecting Ts for over a decade. The timing felt just right because after a decade of collecting Ts, I knew it was finally my time to open the doors to this whole new side of the hobby, the Old Worlds! haha.

The Hmac desperately needed a re-house and I knew this would be quite the 1st re-housing as it pertains to Old Worlds.

I copied Tom Morans idea and created a fool proof method by using cardboard with a bottle attached to the middle of it. I will attach pics.

It went much smoother then I thought it would. He/she was a timid little fella, let me clear out all the debris before setting the trap on top of the enclosure. I never gave the T an opportunity to flee, it was always locked down, and I would use holes inside the cardboard and bottle to pull debris up / out, before finally prodding her to the top of enclosure.

I am just ecstatic right now and feeling so much joy!!!! Just wanted to vent that!!! <3

The pics: This is what I was working with. Had to do a lot of thinking to figure out how to get to an essentially buried Hmac.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Well done, most of the time I have found they do go well. Congrats on the new enclosure.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Fine job! I commend you on doing research and thoroughly planning the endeavor. Your spider is a handsome specimen. May I also add a word of caution, just because it was “timid” this go around, don’t be lulled. I spent several minutes chasing my normally well behaved H. mac around my garage during a rehouse. Sometimes they just don’t want to get with our program.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Awesome bro! The H.mac is an awesome tarantula that has a crazy feeding response. I absolutely love both of mine even though they both ended up being males. Good pick on first old world tarantula you won't regret.