Just some pede eggs/plings

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice pictures cute lil things when small, but wait till they get older haha!! :D

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great stuff :). I'm in the process of finding a broker so i can actually get some 'pedes from the States, hopefully i'll be housing and feeding some of yours, good luck!!!!

phil.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow! Those are amazing photos. Thank you for sharing.

I recently became enamored with pedes after seeing Pulk's monster S. heros castaniceps. I ended up buying one at Arachnocon this year. I'll post some photos of it this weekend.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cool. well here are some more recent pics. I'll post pics next molt.
baby pedes molting

they should get their colors the next molt

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eggs were laid around June 15. I'd be interested to know how that compares to your subspinipes babies developing. I noticed that the eggs seem smaller compared to heros pede eggs. I think there are about 30 to 35 babies here. She's a young female. Other heros pedes I've had come up with 45+ eggs.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah thats why i was asking to see what to expect???? they did seem smaller but there seemed to be more then 30 it looked from what i could count, more in the 40's....where they out in the open alot???? since mine has now disappeared in her burrow???

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I kind of assumed that was your thinking. She dug under? Man that would be hard to do I think for a pede instinctivley holding on to babies. If she did that, there is more going on in a pedes "head" than I thought there would be. Are the eggs still there or can you see anything? Or is she too hidden?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what i can see now, is that shes huddled around the eggs tight at the entrance of her burrow....i can barely see yellow but she still has them which is a good sign....

it almost seems like she is crawling backwards. since she has clutched with her front legs, the eggs and using her back legs, to come to the front of her burrow; then she crawls back into the burrow:?it seems like shes playing pick-a-boo..... soo im kinda at a lost...i called a friend to bring his digi camcorder, soo i can post the actions im describing.... since i have no idea whats shes really doing????

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looking good to me. I'm starting to think the pathogenesis thing isn't hapnin. I've had some pede's this year that laid eggs and ate them. I'm thinking duds because of not mating. They wouldn't mate while gravid with dud eggs, then they would lay the eggs, no good so, eat them and then be fired up to mate! I've seen it two times, sounds like I know what's going on but it just made sense to me, ..I'm really just guessing along with my senses, don't really know:? . How many people on the AB has had pede moms eat their baby pedes, ..not eggs, but pedelings?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
none that i know of:? maybe andrew( cacoseraph)when he gets back would know....it figures lol when its time for all the questions hes gone...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wondered what happened to Cac. People usually bring up that old thread from "larz" ...something like that. It really doesn't prove parthogenesis though. Someone else here, not mentioning names, said the speculative time frame for pedes to store sperm is 18 months. Since yours was wild caught, I'm thinking the eggs are prob fertile.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wondered what happened to Cac. People usually bring up that old thread from "larz" ...something like that. It really doesn't prove parthogenesis though. Someone else here, not mentioning names, said the speculative time frame for pedes to store sperm is 18 months. Since yours was wild caught, I'm thinking the eggs are prob fertile.
im leaning on them being fertile as well..it would seem to be the logical assumption...parthenogenesis though??? i dont think is the case here what would be the reason???....as far as storing sperm i think it could be feasible, only because it would take a little while in the wild, for the female to find a suitable location to lay her eggs and be safe from predators.... though 18 months is kinda long...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man, imagination and speculation is what gets the persuit of science going, interesting stuff. I think the speculative length of time for the storage of sperm has to do with the number of plings and how often pedes come in contact with the opposite sex in the wild, the abundance of their food source, their disign, being predators ...just life trying to make it no matter it's form. The downfall of parthenogenesis is that it's non-evolving except that it might later allow for new genes to be involved when the opportunity to mate presents itself and so would put off extinction, so I guess "downfall" isn't a good word for me to use there. Anyway, I'm becoming more skeptical of the parthenogenesis theory when it comes to pedes. I've got a bunch of last years plings though. More than enough to mess around with the theory if I can stay interested.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
heh, i exist in the minds of people thousands of miles away from me. that is awesome!

i went to a persian wedding up in northern cali. i will be back tomorrowish

that tiger is TINY!!!! that thing has to be under 3" bodylength! that is a new record as far as i know (not that i have been keeping *that* much track... but still!).

amazing stuff as always, gala!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey there ya are. I've found a countless number of the Tigers around here. They are all small like this around here. 3 inches is when you've found a bigger one. I've seen the same small ones from where the 5 inch orange pede came from. Another big reason I don't feel like the big orange one is going to turn out to be a poly, sure would like to figure that out ....maybe someday. That orange thing is weird. It just molted. Anyway, here's the latest pic of the S. heros heros babies. Babies getting big fast. I thought some people might be curious to see how long it takes them to grow and finally leave the nest, so here's the latest.

moosehooks

Arachnopeon
Haven't posted here in a long, long time, but I read a few things in this thread that I've experienced recently.

A few months ago, I had a 5-6" Ethmostigmus trigonopodus lay eggs out in the open. This seemed weird to me because I purchased it in the Spring of 2005, and she's been through a couple of molts since that time. Although it was probably wild caught, it's never mated while in my possession, so I figured the eggs would be duds.

As of today, there are about 30-40 (very rough estimate) pedelings running around in the container with the mother. She remained visible up until about a week ago, at which point she formed a new burrow while holding the clutch of 1st instars. I feared the worst, but the eventually pedelings emerged from the hole with their new colors. The past few days have followed a cycle of the pedelings running around freely and then clumping back onto the mother as she patrols the container. I figured if I kept her stuffed with crickets until my deli cups arrive, I should be okay. For the most part, she'll eat about half of an adult cricket, then pass it down her body for the pedelings to finish it off. Watching the mother and her kids share a meal is just fascinating.

(I removed a bunch of moss and substrate in an attempt to count/separate the babies. The substrate actually is too moist, but the flash makes it look 10X worse.)