Just research

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hey all forgive my total ignorance on most scorps, my only one at the moment is a heterometrus spinifer (I do have other exotics and Ts). I had something in mind I thought might be cool, wanted to get some opinions.

I've heard that some species of scorpion can be kept happily is a communal tank, I was considering something like a 55 gallon display community scorpion tank. If this is a bad idea all around, I'll drop it all together, just thought it might be cool in the future.

What I was wondering if it were possible, is what species will coexist with others of their own? (I'm assuming scorps won't he happy with a multiple species setup, correct? Or are some genus ok with each other?)

I was also very worried about height. I use sterlite for my scorpion at the moment, what is a dangerous fall for these guys? I was thinking half of the 55 full of substrate, and some decor for climbing, but is that going to be dangerous?

How many scorpions do you think an enclosure this size could house happily? (I realize I'll need to modify the tank to fit husbandry of species/ genus selected)

Will I have to keep an eye out for aggression and/or canabalism? Or will a well fed "colony" be content with each other?

Thank you for your time!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are many scorpions that can be kept communally. A 55 gallon would be great for terrestrial or arboreal communities, it's all about how you set it up. Whether you want a desert or tropical environment would determine which species to look at. Communal scorpion enclosures are very entertaining and interesting. You'll learn a lot from observing their interactions. What species you want to keep will determine how many can be kept in a 55.

There is always a chance of cannablism in communities as well as aggression. You just have to keep an eye out. A well fed colony will keep everything to a minimum.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
There are many scorpions that can be kept communally. A 55 gallon would be great for terrestrial or arboreal communities, it's all about how you set it up. Whether you want a desert or tropical environment would determine which species to look at. Communal scorpion enclosures are very entertaining and interesting. You'll learn a lot from observing their interactions. What species you want to keep will determine how many can be kept in a 55.

There is always a chance of cannablism in communities as well as aggression. You just have to keep an eye out. A well fed colony will keep everything to a minimum.
I could be wrong, but it seems like in that scale that a desert setup would be easier to maintain proper temp and humidity? I'm ALL for recommendations and thoughts/opinions.

I THINK I prefer tropical species more so but I admit my scorpion knowledge is limited. I grew up in Arizona so there's always been an interest in deserts as well. I do want something lighter on the venom scale, just in case. That's what drew me away from pedes haha. Just don't like having the risk factor there.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I could be wrong, but it seems like in that scale that a desert setup would be easier to maintain proper temp and humidity? I'm ALL for recommendations and thoughts/opinions.

I THINK I prefer tropical species more so but I admit my scorpion knowledge is limited. I grew up in Arizona so there's always been an interest in deserts as well. I do want something lighter on the venom scale, just in case. That's what drew me away from pedes haha. Just don't like having the risk factor there.
A 55 desert would be way easier to maintain than a tropical. Tropical wouldn't be that hard, though. A modified lid, false bottom and deep substrate would be efficient. There is communal scorps without medically significant venom.