Just received my S. subpinipes!

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have been lurking these forums for a couple months now and finally decided to register and post. I have been in the hobby of collecting various creatures for some time now and finally felt I was ready for a more advanced arthropod. I decided on a S. subpinipes, and it just came today! She (I like to think of it as a female) is about 6-7in and quite beautiful. As you can see in this photo, she is missing a leg, but I'm hoping that will regenerate when she molts next.

I wanted to share a few photos with everyone here, and also wanted to say thank you to everyone on these forums for posting such wonderful information! 16195705_10158158615680554_7282864851649705527_n.jpg 16105498_10158158615750554_1741274256696077409_n.jpg 16114958_10158158615745554_5153960534013698692_n.jpg 16142965_10158158615740554_9062005084977891788_n.jpg 16195705_10158158615680554_7282864851649705527_n.jpg

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Enjoy your new centipede. They are known for being quick to bite so exercise caution is the best advice I can give.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Very nice centipede! And welcome to the forums! I just recently started Keeping centipedes as well, there fascinating

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are amazing animals. Hope that yours will turn gravid like mine since those are 99% pure WC eh eh... recently I've had 24 pedelings jumping out from every holes, like a sort of "centipede whack a mole" :kiss:

-- btw the set up seems good but a bit of inches of substrate never killed anyone, uh :-s

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Eh Idk about that! I think I'm ok with 1 centipede, although I'm about to order another I think. I have roughly 4inches of substrate in my centipede tank.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
I upgraded to a 20gal tank (20Hx12Wx24L) today. My GF's dad had it sitting around this garage. Cleaned it up real nice and now she has plenty of room to roam around and a few for hides. She has about 4in of substrate (coco coir and sphagnum moss mix) and already is burrowing.

I also fed her a bit today, as I wasn't sure when the last meal she had was. She happily ate 3 jumbo meal worms (first one i decapitated) and a large cricket. I don't want to over feed her, so I figured that would be good until next weekend.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Wow she ate a lot! My S.polymoprpha is only about 3 inches right now. And idk if you can over feed them or not. Some one with more experience may be required, but I feed my centipede a cricket every 2 days. But yours is much bigger then mine

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And idk if you can over feed them or not.
Just exactly like T's :-s

They wouldn't eat when "enough is enough". I've removed the other day a B.dubia from mine, she wasn't hungry at all and not considering a bit the roach - in general she devour those leaving only those wings :kiss:

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I may give her another meal worm or two tomorrow to see if she will take it. My local pet store has a pretty sparse collection of feeders, nothing larger than crickets/jumbo mealworms/superworms. They do have small mice, and although I think she would eat it, I'd never risk her safety in the struggle.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Just exactly like T's :-s

They wouldn't eat when "enough is enough". I've removed the other day a B.dubia from mine, she wasn't hungry at all and not considering a bit the roach - in general she devour those leaving only those wings :kiss:
Well if they don't get ate just let them borrow and they'll eventually emerge trying to find food and they will get ate, my centipede is kinda picky she will kill roaches but won't eat them, but will devour crickets , it might have something to do with the hard shell.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
Fed her again today, she ate another cricket and a very large wolf spider (legs spanned about 2.5in). Total food count for the past 24hrs is 3 large crickets, 3 jumbo meal worms, 1 huge wolf spider. She hasn't left so much as a leg.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Fed her again today, she ate another cricket and a very large wolf spider (legs spanned about 2.5in). Total food count for the past 24hrs is 3 large crickets, 3 jumbo meal worms, 1 huge wolf spider. She hasn't left so much as a leg.
you really shouldnt try to have it fight for its food. its feeding, not a gladiator match.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I like Wolf spiders. I think the diet of roaches crickets and mealworms is all you need. Really no need for anything other than those for feeding.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
you really shouldnt try to have it fight for its food. its feeding, not a gladiator match.
No need to fret, she is tong fed and I never have her fight for her food. The wolf spider was one my son and I were keeping and I think it was a male getting to the end of it's lifespan (wouldn't eat and barely moved). I have seen some of the videos of people live feeding mice and what not and I would never risk the health of my little girl for pure sport such as that. In fact, I tong feed just because I don't want one of the crickets or meal worms biting her in the struggle. I usually grab them by the head and offer them to her so she can take it in a way that the mouth is facing away from her.

He was a beautiful dude, but sadly all things eventually come to an end. I'm just glad he didn't just end up in the trash or down the toilet. Wish I had a female to mate him with.

Attachments

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No need to fret, she is tong fed and I never have her fight for her food. The wolf spider was one my son and I were keeping and I think it was a male getting to the end of it's lifespan (wouldn't eat and barely moved). I have seen some of the videos of people live feeding mice and what not and I would never risk the health of my little girl for pure sport such as that. In fact, I tong feed just because I don't want one of the crickets or meal worms biting her in the struggle. I usually grab them by the head and offer them to her so she can take it in a way that the mouth is facing away from her.
good to hear. i think pinkies make a fine meal. i wouldnt worry whatsoever about crickets or mealworms harming her(unless shes molting), centipedes are armored venomous tanks. they wouldnt have survived for so long if they couldnt handle crickets.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
good to hear. i think pinkies make a fine meal. i wouldnt worry whatsoever about crickets or mealworms harming her(unless shes molting), centipedes are armored venomous tanks. they wouldnt have survived for so long if they couldnt handle crickets.
I haven't tried feeding her anything other than insects. With pinkies, will they take them frozen/thawed? Or do they have to be live/freshly killed?

norcalfourrunner

Arachnopeon
I fed mine a live fuzzy last week. Took it down with no struggle whatsoever and ate pretty much the whole mouse.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I haven't tried feeding her anything other than insects. With pinkies, will they take them frozen/thawed? Or do they have to be live/freshly killed?
Frozen thawed. Absolutely no need to feed a pede live vertebrates. It's cruel.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
I have seen some of the videos of people live feeding mice and what not and I would never risk the health of my little girl for pure sport such as that.
Hi, you should also worry about the mice. It is not immediately dead somethimes just paralyzed and then eaten alive. I think it's just horrible to feed living vertebrates to unvertebrates. So if you want to feed a mice please take a frozen one. Just to think about ;).
Otherwise from what I see on your pics I would say you have a Scolopendra dehaani and not a Scolopendra subsinipes.

Best regards.