Just Purchased Tarantula not moving

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
8A3415C8-B573-4CF0-B1C6-10487EC6EAFB.jpeg

Hello, I’m new to owning tarantulas and just got my first one the other day. It’s a pink toe, I’m unsure of it’s gender - but I am a little worried as it’s the second end of the day, and the spider has stayed in the same spot -not come down or drank.Can anyone tell me whether I should be worried or how to help it be more comfortable. The temp and hydration are where they are supposed to be.

do not worry too much about the tank, one is coming with better ventilation and things for it to hide and climb in.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry they really don't move around much at all. Give it a few days to settle in . If it hasn't moved from that exact spot after that you may want to check and make sure it's feet aren't caught up on something but I've never had that issue with a kritter keeper.

Solitaire

Arachnopeon
It’s an arboreal T that has nothing else to do and nowhere to go, so it’s staying where it’s most comfortable.
Once you move it to an appropriate enclosure with things to climb on and hide on. Right now, it feels very exposed and vulnerable; it can’t blend into a background where it feels safe to settle in.
Otherwise, looks fine to me.
Hope the new enclosure comes soon!
Love those pink toes!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s a pink toe
it's going to die if you don't read up asap, read my link in sig file. I saw and read enough to know you don't know enough yet. It's USEFUL and SMART to do research on the animals BEFORE you buy them.

the good news is you can only go up from here.

What you see is normal. If you search you'll see millions of posts identical to yours :rolleyes: :rofl:

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
it's going to die if you don't read up asap, read my link in sig file. I saw and read enough to know you don't know enough yet. It's USEFUL and SMART to do research on the animals BEFORE you buy them.

the good news is you can only go up from here.

What you see is normal. If you search you'll see millions of posts identical to yours :rolleyes: :rofl:
I have done my research, which is exactly why I am on this board to ensure I am doing things correctly as well as researching. There is NOTHING wrong with asking questions,

It
It’s an arboreal T that has nothing else to do and nowhere to go, so it’s staying where it’s most comfortable.
Once you move it to an appropriate enclosure with things to climb on and hide on. Right now, it feels very exposed and vulnerable; it can’t blend into a background where it feels safe to settle in.
Otherwise, looks fine to me.
Hope the new enclosure comes soon!
Love those pink toes!
It’s a rescue, so I am also hoping the enclosure comes soon as well ! :) thank you for the advice!

thank you! I recently got more things for it to climb on and hide in, it seems to be adapting better. :)
I wouldn't worry they really don't move around much at all. Give it a few days to settle in . If it hasn't moved from that exact spot after that you may want to check and make sure it's feet aren't caught up on something but I've never had that issue with a kritter keeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is NOTHING wrong with asking questions,
Whoa, where did you see me write or suggest that is not proper to do? Guess what- you didn't.

What I expressed to you is doubt if you continue on the path you are on, ie having limited knowledge. Hence, why I suggested reading the link in my sig file., and searching on the forum. Since when is having more knowledge a bad thing-- it isn't. Which is exactly what I said in a different way.

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
Whoa, where did you see me write or suggest that is not proper to do? Guess what- you didn't.

What I expressed to you is doubt if you continue on the path you are on, ie having limited knowledge. Hence, why I suggested reading the link in my sig file., and searching on the forum. Since when is having more knowledge a bad thing-- it isn't. Which is exactly what I said in a different way.
There’s a lot in the above quote that implies different, but I will check out the sig file!

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
but I am a little worried as it’s the second end of the day, and the spider has stayed in the same spot -not come down or drank.
Absolutely no need to worry 😇 They can go days or weeks without moving, days/weeks/months without eating, and some people have never see their t drink (again, think days/weeks/months), so don’t worry, and welcome to pet rock keeping! Good luck 😁

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
Absolutely no need to worry 😇 They can go days or weeks without moving, days/weeks/months without eating, and some people have never see their t drink (again, think days/weeks/months), so don’t worry, and welcome to pet rock keeping! Good luck 😁
haha, thank you! I'm just glad this is more common as Viper suggested

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I have done my research....There is NOTHING wrong with asking questions,
Oh thank GOD I seem to be doing most things right right now for my Pink Toe.

however, I hate that I was under the impression they needed humidity
People here care more about the spider than your ego, and we see a lot (as in hundreds) of Avics die at the hands of well meaning but uneducated newbies. Can't blame people for suspecting you might not know what care they need, since you seem unfamiliar with their behavior/care based on your comments so far. Hard to participate in this forum without thick skin, tone and context are often lost online. Best of luck

Last edited:

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
People here care more about the spider than your ego, and we see a lot (as in hundreds) of Avics die at the hands of well meaning but uneducated newbies. Can't blame people for suspecting you might not know what care they need, since you seem unfamiliar with their behavior in general. Hard to participate in this forum without thick skin, tone and context are often lost online. Best of luck
100% Agree. There is nothing wrong with questioning on both ends.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
of course without the proper setup, it won't settle down quickly or at all so I wouldn't worry too much right now til you get the right enclosure
just make sure the parameters (moisture, ventilation) are right til you wait as they are sensitive to mistakes and you don't want to end up with a dead t
welcome to the hobby!☺

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If its not set up correct and you know it isn't, then why are you surprised it hasn't moved or settled?

You've already answered your own question

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
If its not set up correct and you know it isn't, then why are you surprised it hasn't moved or settled?

You've already answered your own question
It’s actually started moving recently. As stated by another user I think it was the lack of things to hide in or behind. I find nothing wrong with asking questions or just looking for reassurance.

Other people have given helpful responses despite me doing ‘obvious’ posts. It’s not always obvious, or certain for newbies.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Welcome! What size/type of enclosure you getting? All of mine are top opening vs side opening. One thing I wished I got was side opening for my Avicularia for ease of of cleaning. Top is okay, but since these are calmer tarantula’s a front opening enclosure sure would be easier to get into.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can you post a picture of the entire set up? It looks like it is inadequately set up for an Avicularia.

A set up like this is what you need to create for your Aviculariinae. 838F0093-ADBE-43E0-8B25-52F3E1B91174.jpeg 0B715C2F-F6E7-4C52-AFB6-BE7BEDE9EF34.jpeg

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
For what it's worth, mine is in a proper setup much like what Smotzer showed, and yet still doesn't move much.