Just picked up two Pixies and have a few ???

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both are around 2", one is slightly bigger than other.

Just a few question for the experience frog owners.

What type of substrates do you use? I'm currently using the eco earth coconut fiber stuff.

What size enclosures do you have yours in? Mines are in their own 2 1/5g clear plastic storage containers you get from Walmart, Targest.

Do you have waterdish inside the enclosure? I have a 6" saucer halfway filled in each.

What do you feed yours? So far I only have chance to feed crickets and Lobster roaches. Will eventually add, nightcrawlers and thawed out food such as fishes, and shrimps(I love the precook shrimps from Cubfood here, specials for $4 for 50 count). So far since when I got them lastnight they have both chowed down four large crickets and 6-7 Lobster Roaches each. And from the look of it they still want more:eek:

Any infos you have, you're welcome to post here, would love to hear them.

BTW I have decided to name them: Tiny and Skinny{D {D {D

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You might want to stay away from "cooked" foods. They most likely will eat it if you dangle it in front of their face from tweezers, but cooked stuff is usually much too fatty for any captive amphibs. Coco bedding is surely appropriate - nothing too large in it that can't be digested or passed through. A bad substrate would be gravel or peat moss. Make sure you dust your feeders with calcium. This is especially important with young frogs that are growing rapidly. Water bowls are good, they tend to go to the bathroom in the water, which makes clean up much easier, you just refresh the water, which you should always be doing anyways.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
get some of the vitamin supplements as well as the calcium for dusting. you are going to have a couple of beasty frogs in no time! lol enjoy them. these are my favorite frogs for sure. so much attitude! and they will attack anything. especially your fingers if you get too close.. cute while they are small but I am sure it isnt so cute once they can do damage.:D

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dust with calcium at every feeding and vitamins once maybe twice a week until it is larger to ensure they receive enough calcium. It is important that they receive more calcium compared to phosphorous, because too much phosphorous and they are actually unable to utilize the calcium they need. Once they become full grown then dusting is way less important.

Once it is full grown it very well may be the size of that water dish, or larger if you get lucky.

Last edited:

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thx

I got the calcium dust with without phosphorous, I'll pickup the same brand of vitamins after work today.

BTW I don't know how other's pixies are but mines are pretty wild, they have jump and tried going for my fingers five-six times now.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is smaller than those ones and it is a complete freak.. it attacks everything I have to be careful not to send any substrate flying or shine anything on the side as it will attack and try to eat anything it thinks is moving. it even tried to get my horned frog that is twice its size through its tank. so they can no longer see eachother now that the Pyxie thinks it can eat the other frog lol

Pimperator

Arachnopeon
Pyxie

My Pyxie is definitely my favorite critter. I just got it about 4 or 5 days ago and it's been a crazy little beast from day one. My Pyxie loves mealworms.