Just Ordered My First T!

codenamekitsune

Arachnopeon
Last night I ordered a 1.5" Aphonopelma eutylenum, as well as a 3x3in enclosure which was marketed toward slings. I've been reading up about Ts in general, and specifically about Aphonopelma once I more or less decided on them as my first. I suspect I've cleared myself of many beginner-type issues, but as this is my first T I'm a bit nervous about how the whole thing will go. I do have experience housing reptiles, so I'm at least a little versed in husbandry that is a little more complex than, say, the care my Schnauzer requires.

But my question is, when you first began in the hobby, is there anything you absolutely wish you had known that you were unable to find simply by skimming forums and such?

Many thanks! I've learned loads already from this board!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yes. These three things.
You can't learn patience online, or in a book. Your tarantula is going to do things at their speed, take it as it comes.
Observe your tarantula and watch their behavior. Are they always by the water dish or always avoiding the moist area? Is their abdomen small enough to feed or large enough to skip a meal? A lot of times they actually do tell you what they need.
Have fun!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
You will be pretty much covered after thoroughly read this:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you were unable to find simply by skimming forums and such?
No- Read here and read again till you die, then ask specific questions.

99% of questions asked here by beginners have been answered Before I was a member thousands of times.

Anyone that claims they researched and can’t find the answers is either a liar (I’ve proven that with some people), too lazy/

Doesn’t take a PhD to raise these animals successful nor breed them.

Lastly new people need to use Critical Thinking skills AND need to stop posting about everything they think is “weird” just because they have not observed some behavior

Ask yourself - is my T eating, pooping and molting? If yes- then you unlikely need to ask a question.

codenamekitsune

Arachnopeon

99% of questions asked here by beginners have been answered Before I was a member thousands of times.

Anyone that claims they researched and can’t find the answers is either a liar (I’ve proven that with some people), too lazy/

Lastly new people need to use Critical Thinking skills AND need to stop posting about everything they think is “weird” just because they have not observed some behavior

Ask yourself - is my T eating, pooping and molting? If yes- then you unlikely need to ask a question.
You're quite crotchety, ain't ya? I wasn't looking for specifics intentionally; I was looking for useful tips that make things go more smoothly, or that people think are fun/interesting. I have done the research, and have learned quite a lot by doing so. I am very thankful to all those who have posted to various mediums and who have allowed me to learn things on my own. However, you cannot gain all knowledge nor hear all anecdotes simply by reading and researching.

Example: I didn't think my rats could get to the center topmost part of their cage, grab the bag of freeze dried sardines I had there, and eat an entire bag in a night. Maybe I should have thought about it (probably), but were I on a rat forum that is now something which I might recommend to a new keeper on a post such as this.

I mean, honestly, I don't understand jumping down someone's throat because they're curious, but ultimately, you do you.

Yes. These three things.
You can't learn patience online, or in a book. Your tarantula is going to do things at their speed, take it as it comes.
Observe your tarantula and watch their behavior. Are they always by the water dish or always avoiding the moist area? Is their abdomen small enough to feed or large enough to skip a meal? A lot of times they actually do tell you what they need.
Have fun!
This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for! I'm super nervous about my first, simply because they are my first. Being reminded that they will tell me what they need if I pay attention is great advice.

Thank you!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're quite crotchety, ain't ya? I wasn't looking for specifics intentionally; I was looking for useful tips that make things go more smoothly, or that people think are fun/interesting. I have done the research, and have learned quite a lot by doing so. I am very thankful to all those who have posted to various mediums and who have allowed me to learn things on my own. However, you cannot gain all knowledge nor hear all anecdotes simply by reading and researching.

Example: I didn't think my rats could get to the center topmost part of their cage, grab the bag of freeze dried sardines I had there, and eat an entire bag in a night. Maybe I should have thought about it (probably), but were I on a rat forum that is now something which I might recommend to a new keeper on a post such as this.

I mean, honestly, I don't understand jumping down someone's throat because they're curious, but ultimately, you do you.
I speak truth based on years of observation here. When is that a negative?

I wasn’t jumping down your throat, merely providing direct input.

You asked for tips- I provided it, if you call that jumping down your throat, you’re opinion is merely that.

While true one cannot learn all from reading, too many people don’t bother to read.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
If your T starts to look like it’s doing strange yoga like poses it’s normal; its most likely just grooming. I know this catches people off guard seeing it for the first time.

Unpacking is always my least favorite thing to do. Check to make sure there is no freebie, otherwise you could throw out the box/packing material that could contain a surprise. Take your time taking the spider out of the vial. I use small tweezers and gently pull the tissue containing the spider out. Make sure it doesn’t restrict as you pull it out or you could crush the T. If it’s small unrolling the tissue can be a pain, just don’t apply too much pressure and
crush it. Again, I use tweezers to hold a piece of tissue and sometimes two of I’m having trouble.

Congrats on your first T.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
But my question is, when you first began in the hobby, is there anything you absolutely wish you had known that you were unable to find simply by skimming forums and such?
T,s are unlike any animal you have ever kept.Bottom line.And until you have been around them and provided husbandry,there is no set lessons or examples that can help.
You just need to do it.
And understand,lots of personalities here on AB,but all want to talk and share.And learn.And keepers are still learning after 20 years plus in this hobby.

Welcome aboard,the "what the heck just happened" boards :lol: .

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
2 of the most common mistakes people make: overly moist enclosures and overfeeding their spiders. Feeding schedules work for some people but aren't always necessary. I've been increasingly learning to feed my tarantulas based on their behavior and abdomen size. Sticking to a feeding schedule led to me having some obese tarantulas! They need much less food than you probably think. Also, a lot of care sheets will tell you to mist the enclosure. This is a no-no. It creates a wet and stuffy environment where bacteria and fungi can grow. For your species, just having a water dish available is more than enough. And when in doubt, remember that they know how to be a spider much better than you do! It's common for them to hide, bury themselves, and fast for months at a time! It scares a lot of new keepers but it's all completely normal.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
When got my first T I was so excited🙂 I always wanted one as a kid but my mom wouldn't let me Lol, when i became an adult though I had to get one, I attached a pic of my first T, hes a big guy now 20210502_180003.jpg

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Probably just the fact that their behaviors that people often think are “abnormal” are just T things. Some arboreals will burrow as slings. Some fossorials might decide to climb their enclosure walls, or never build a burrow despite being given the proper enclosure and means to do so. They like to seal off their burrows. I could probably go on forever with most of the frequently asked questions within the parameters of “ is this normal for this species? Why is my t doing this or that?” Long story short, they just do their things. And as some others said, if they’re eating and pooping and molting, there’s really not anything to worry for. Ts will do T things.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
When got my first T I was so excited🙂 I always wanted one as a kid but my mom wouldn't let me Lol, when i became an adult though I had to get one, I attached a pic of my first T, hes a big guy now View attachment 384105
Everyone has to start somewhere, what a tarantula needs depends on their species"the tarantula collective" offers great advise on species requirements

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Everyone has to start somewhere, what a tarantula needs depends on their species"the tarantula collective" offers great advise on species requirements
He does have decent husbandry advice, but there are certain things I won’t get into depth about I don’t agree with. I’d much sooner recommend Tom Moran. He is solid.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
He does have decent husbandry advice, but there are certain things I won’t get into depth about I don’t agree with. I’d much sooner recommend Tom Moran. He is solid.
Is that the guy from "Tom's Big Spiders"? He does have amazing skills, and I like his videos🙂 great recomendation!

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Is that the guy from "Tom's Big Spiders"? He does have amazing skills, and I like his videos🙂 great recomendation!
Yes it is. He’s very reliable. He also has a podcast that I play and pick up on many things while doing my rounds in the T room.

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Yes it is. He’s very reliable. He also has a podcast that I play and pick up on many things while doing my rounds in the T room.
I recall a lot of youtubers who host advice on tarantulas reference him, so definitely, he is the original source of information, "Tom's Big Spiders" definite recomendation

Braden

Arachnoknight

true that

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I recall a lot of youtubers who host advice on tarantulas reference him, so definitely, he is the original source of information, "Tom's Big Spiders" definite recomendation
Hey, by the way, what do you think of Petko from "Dark Den" in the UK, do you feel like he offers good advice on husbandry?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey, by the way, what do you think of Petko from "Dark Den" in the UK, do you feel like he offers good advice on husbandry?
He used to be an active member here before he went on the tube.

Who is the original source of info?? Someone on StupidTube is most definitely NOT an original source of info. We've been keeping Ts decades before the internet.