just need some tips

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just wondering where can you get the cheapest tarantulas, whats the best book on tarantulas, whats the best species, and are there any reptile shows comming to kentucky soon.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Johnny,
the cheapest tarantula you can probably get is G rosea or rose hair they run around 10$. The best book is the tarantula keepers guied, and there is pleanty of information on the web as well. And I dont know of any shows in your area.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
just wondering where can you get the cheapest tarantulas, whats the best book on tarantulas, whats the best species, and are there any reptile shows comming to kentucky soon.
Well, what is your price range for spiders? How many do you want? Are you willing to invest the time to raise a spiderling, or do you want a big spider now? What features are you looking for -- size, color, webspinning, digging, climbing, gentleness, aggressiveness...

Jon

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far a cheapest T's go, I'd agree with Brandon in that the G. rosea can be obtained at a fairly reasonable rate...but remember, you also get what you pay for.

There are many sites, many dealers who offer "rock-bottom" prices...unfortunately, just as with herps, the drawback is that you may be purchasing an imported/wild-caught specimen. As a beginner with T's myself, but having vast experience with herps, this is not a venture that is recommended for a beginner...myself included when it comes to T's.

Yes, you can get great T's at much lower rates when purchased as imports, but for all but the most experienced keeper, the mortality rate is quite high.

To keep any animal that has specific environmental requirements can be tricky enough when they are captive-born, those that are wild-caught (especially those from tropical locals); require a lot of preparation prior to their arrival in your collection.

I would suggest that you keep in contact with those here who breed T's, many do offer quality T's at reasonable rates; you also get the assurance that the T you buy from a private breeder is of healthy stock.

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Baphomet
I would suggest that you keep in contact with those here who breed T's, many do offer quality T's at reasonable rates; you also get the assurance that the T you buy from a private breeder is of healthy stock.
Good point. There are several people here on the boards with breeding projects. Tony has the L. parahybana that he's so looking forward to separating, I've got a G. rosea sack right now (not counting my eggs before they hatch though), and I know others are working on various species as well. I picked up a bunch of B. albopolisum slings from Holley at a very good price a few months ago... free.

Botar

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in the UK at present A.geniculata appears to be cheaper and readier available than the G.rosea at the moment... must be from a burst in the market due to breeders last year... you can pick them up for £4 ($8) at about 1"

but yah... go with the rosie... ive had mine for 10 years now and its still good

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
in the UK at present A.geniculata appears to be cheaper and readier available than the G.rosea at the moment... must be from a burst in the market due to breeders last year... you can pick them up for £4 ($8) at about 1"

but yah... go with the rosie... ive had mine for 10 years now and its still good
I still have never figured out how G. rosea got to be so popular. I can understand the redform, but thats it.

Jon

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jon,
I happen to think that G rosea is a very gorgious tarantula, it may not have that much color but temperment more than makes up for that. Have you ever seen one after a molt, or a male for that matter? absolutly stunning! But those are just my thoughts.

Sincerely,

Brandon

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i agree with brandon,male Grammostola roseas do look beautiful after a molt and with me owning a mature rosey most are docile but for me mine is much defensive ive also talked to alot of people where theres seem to be the same, talk to pategirl about that i know hers gets really definsive actually falling on her back!mine has never done it but hers has,Also another t that is great for beginners is Avicularia avicularia a bit nervous and flighty ive never really had much of a problem with them both are great hope i helped in some way take care-jason