Just molted - 2" - death curl hours later?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I don't get it, it molted last night, perfect molt no issues from what i can tell today.

It was walking around chilling all day long and now, it is curled up in the corner near where I had a light for heat/warmth.

Looks like a death curl. I will post pics in a second. My first instinct is to ICU it if it stays like this any longer, but it just molted and me thinks that would be bad.

*Edit* belay that. It sat like that for hours and was rubbing its #2 and #3 legs against its body and the pedilaps (sp?) for a few hours, and now it is all spread out again normal tarantula pose..... what was the behavior i was seeing before? Cleaning?

PS: Its funny that as soon as i started getting the ICU together it seemed fine again.

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After they molt it isn't uncommon to see them curl up then stretch out repeatedly, just make sure there is plenty of water.

The heat lamp needs to go though. If it were actually a death curl from dehydration, that would be why.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Remove the heat lamp.

It was cleaning itself.
....looked exactly like a death curl as the legs moving was very slow. All is well again...

FYI the lamp is aimed as the substrate and i have it on because its 65* in my apartment right now in the enclosure its only 70ish with the lamp. Also full water dish. always. additionally, its not a heat lamp per se. Its a 25 watt bulb which is just enough to warm up the one side, and leave the other side cool.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
B'boy, My li'l pulchra frequently do this curl after molting. It should be okay. :)

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Just keep a good eye on that Lamp. too much heat is just as bad as it being too cold.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for posting this thread- I would probably be worried seeing that and now I'll know what to possibly expect when I see my T molt. No heart attack for me! {D