Just knocked this up, see how it goes

Bread

Arachnopeon
One of the T's I got from my brother is a Hysterocrates sp, cameroon (he says it was WC so I shouldn't call it a gigas?) shes moulted again and is now a bit big for her enclosure so I made this for her.

It's bigger than it looks (an 82litre tub), the water is 4inch at the deep end 2inch nearer the substrate which is 9inch deep (I made a hollow under the skull to see if she uses it as a starter burrow.
(the bits are from the cork bark and will be cleaned out shortly before she takes residence)

On a side note, this girl is the most aggressive T I have I reckon, she jumps straight into a threat posture once the lids off, and really!! doesn't like having me touch her water bowl (this should fix that)

I have hollowed out the cork bark on the right to accept a small pond filter/pump I have to keep the water clean but I will probably change some of it out on a weekly basis.
We'll see how she reacts to the water :p

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Lovely! Semi-aquatic setups have become more and more common with this species, but they almost always end in failure. I hope yours works well!

Bread

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I'm not sure how she will react to it, as I read that captive bred H.gigas like water but WC ones tend not to.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This species does vile, vile things to their water dishes. Absolutely 100% of boluses end up in the water dish in my experience. Along with feces, dirt, and the occasional thumb of an unfortunate keeper. I can't see the pictures for some reason, but I really hope you're using a setup that allows for easy replacement of water dishes!

EDIT:
Bob saved the day! Very nice looking setup, I like it. Also, that's a Really Useful Box! The addiction is spreading, I see. If I were you, I think that it would be fun to let the occasional guppy go loose in that water to see if your T will eat it. I know mine would, his feet are always on the surface of his (huge) water dish! You'd want to clean up the bolus immediately, though!

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
This species does vile, vile things to their water dishes. Absolutely 100% of boluses end up in the water dish in my experience. Along with feces, dirt, and the occasional thumb of an unfortunate keeper. I can't see the pictures for some reason, but I really hope you're using a setup that allows for easy replacement of water dishes!
@Bread hope you don't mind me reposting this.

@EulersK this is what their enclosure looks like:
image.jpeg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't want to burst the bubble of anyone but IMO when genus Hysterocrates is concerned those "semi-pool sort of" enclosure/s are really a "fashion" and an exageration.

A normal piece of cork bark, a (nice sized) water dish and lots of inches of moist substrate, combined with the proper ventilation, are what's needed, and nothing else.

Bread

Arachnopeon
You could be right, but the 5% chance that she will use it worth having a go :p
If nothing else it gives me something to do now I'm retired :p

louise f

Arachnoangel
A normal piece of cork bark, a (nice sized) water dish and lots of inches of moist substrate, combined with the proper ventilation, are what's needed, and nothing else
True, but you must admit it looks pretty cool with those setups. Well IMO they do. :D I would love a big tank with a water area with fishes in it. But i dont have the room for that :( It looks awesome when they go diving after fish. :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Love this style of setup! Years ago had a Chinese water dragon in a half substrate half water tank. It was much larger so I just put a submersible fish filter in there. Mine was a pain to deep clean but yours looks like it would be much easier.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Where is his blow up raft and the swim up cricket bar?

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure how she will react to it, as I read that captive bred H.gigas like water but WC ones tend not to.
A t has zero idea whether its captive born or wild caught....they're instinctive, captive born ts don't act different.

I predict that little pond will be filled with substrate.
And boli, and feces....unless the water area is completely removable, its just going to end up a pond of slop. It already looks a little brown to be honest. Filters will become clogged and now dealing with that will require hands on work and a lot of it...all within the proximity of a large, angry t.

The main thing about the enclosure though is the LACK of substrate depth. These are some of the burrowingest ts around, give them A LOT of substrate to burrow in. You're dealing with a bad attitude because it sees the enclosure as its burrow, and every time you open it, the t sees it as an invasion. With proper depth, it will burrow and more often than not, just go down its hole. I'd say a minimum of 10" of depth, more would be better.

Bread

Arachnopeon
Well shes using the water. Watching under redlamp now. Gave her a big locust. It honestly looked like she purposely drowned it, took it underwater till it stopped kicking then came back out. Are they known fir doing this?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well shes using the water. Watching under redlamp now. Gave her a big locust. It honestly looked like she purposely drowned it, took it underwater till it stopped kicking then came back out. Are they known fir doing this?
Wow, awesome, you should take a video next time!

Bread

Arachnopeon
Wow, awesome, you should take a video next time!
I would, but my phone doesnt like redlight and soon as i turn on the room light she freezes. Ill see if i can get my gopro to record through my nvg's but itll be green :p