Just how venomous are Sicarius?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@edesign , one of the papers I linked is behind a paywall (the Sicarius revision one), but I purchased it, and can email it you if you like. It's a ~90 page paper, but things will make more sense after reading it, lol.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
That would be the genus revision paper I think. Doubt I'll be reading a 90 page technical paper regarding biology, if it were electrical engineering related then sure because I can understand it easily, but looking up words every sentence for tens of pages doesn't float my boat ha. Can you paraphrase or tell me if my previous, lengthy post is on the right track (I hate writing that much for nothing)?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, been pretty busy. I gotta get some screenshots and information from the genus revision paper, it'll take me a bit.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ah, ok, np. I've had a few times where I missed a notification so I just wanted to make sure you knew I saw your post. I'm not against reading but 90 pages is a lot lol. I'll likely still ask you to send it to me but a synopsis would be excellent. May help me make heads or tails out of what I read. Thanks again.

JonD

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Not sure if this is of any interest, but we recently went on a desert night walk whilst on holiday in Namibia. The walk was on the gravel levels on the edge of the Namib desert, a mile or two from the medium sized coastal town of Swakopmund.

The first creature found was a 6 eyed sand spider. The guide warned that it had a dangerous bite, then blew the covering of sand from the spider's back to demonstrate how it uses its legs to flick a new thin layer of sand over itself. Once covered it was perfectly camouflaged. There would be no way to see it, without the reflection of the torch back from its eyes.

That walk fired our imagination for spiders and we spent time at every successive place we stayed, using head torches to find nocturnal spiders around that evening's camping spot. Amazing how many we could find once we tuned into the tiny but surprisingly bright reflections of their eyes. The kids did get spooked once when it became apparent we were completely surrounded by dozens of hunting spiders (plus one or two marauding camel spiders), but on the whole they really enjoyed finding them.

All the best,

Jon (no expertise whatsoever!)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Pretty cool, Jon, always interesting when you realize you're surrounded haha

Good reminder...hey Rick! Where's dem notes and stuff? Otoh I know you've been pretty busy with life lately...what's the name of the paper and I'll grab it off of the WSC's site :)